Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: California Eagles-2018 & 2019
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:50 pm 

West End's first hatch. :loveshow: Thanks, Bev!

pic from Becca on WE's discussion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:21 pm 

sauces only hatch

hatch. you can see it

I had to quit watching as do not know what female is doing. seems to have covered it up. dragging that damn fish around . up until now, baby had head up etc. so will take a peak later.

so hop e things go well

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:06 pm 

Sauces

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:17 pm 

here is video now.
this after we were all worried , I guess just trust nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGrJmNO ... e=youtu.be

nice catches gigi :16val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:32 pm 

west endmarch19 hatch 2

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Fraser Point. End of a feed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:04 pm 

Big Bear Lake, CA

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:58 pm 

west end has 3 chicks now. waiting to get a good shot

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:53 pm 

april8
takin ga walk about

WE

the look so good. whee does time fly

3 sleeping
the family(2 by mom )
what a view( love that they are so curious to look out on their future domain)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:56 pm 

sauces
only one but every eaglet we get here is a good day. :15heartbeat:
the family
breathtaking view

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:27 pm 

two harbors

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:33 pm 

Video of Fraser Point, Santa Cruz Island, eaglet who slipped off the nest and was rescued and returned to the nest today 4/10/19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDwt2Ogyj1k&fbclid=IwAR3ccmuQ1ApI-z6oaUmjZUtDv8KUUHEGcuGR-jfWTznFOgonbN-ggWPirxo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:12 pm 

Thanks, MISue. The look on Mom's face was priceless. Thankfully IWS sent Nate to the rescue!! :loveshow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:01 am 

:spring1: It is about to be a beautiful morning for Shadow when he comes in as his first chick has been hatching under Mrs. BB through the night. Last view it was partially visible through crack! And maybe not a beautiful morning for him, I forgot to check time, but I think after 7 their time, Shadow came in with a stick and placed, but she would not get up and eventually he left. I think she nipped his tail right before he left. Concerning is the last view I saw of eggs, they actually looked intact, which means the cracked side is down. It is not a traditional one, but has a smashed in look unfortunately. Unable to tell progress @ this point. I know it was pipped at 10 something their time last eve, don't know if that is when pip 1st seen or before.

12:45 Nest time, several minutes ago, Shadow stood up and you could see the hatching egg. The chick's beak is poking out through an open space amongst the many cracks on this half of the shell and when it breathes all of the cracked portion moves with each breath. I have not seen an egg break and hatch in this manner and am hoping it will have the strength to break through and get out of this. The lining is holding it together.

This is a pic captured by Mod PearlBailey from earlier today:

It does not seem to be progressing. I wouldn't think the chick has much to push against with the shell in the condition it's in. I really hope it can make it's way out somehow. Here's a pic posted about 40 minutes (sometime just before 5:30 PM nest time, can't remember) ago by Trish Rawlings:

Mrs. BB has allowed Shadow on the eggs for short periods. He did bring her a fish to eat this morning and she ate most of it, but she has remained on the nest the whole day.

At about 6:30 pm nest time, Mrs. BB got up and started eating some more on her fish. We got a great look at the egg. The chick is still alive and working. The only difference I see is all of the many cracked chips of the egg have fallen off now, but the lining of the egg remains. Here is a great pic showing that by katieg53:

When Mrs. BB was finished eating she came back to settle on the eggs and there was an orange foreign object hanging from her beak (fishing line or something else, I don't know), then when she seemed to be rid of that you could see a possible clear foreign object hanging from her beak and connected to the fish that would move with her movements as she tried to dislodge it, which I think she did.

And here is a video of the egg, while Mrs. BB was eating the fish. It also captures the orange line. "Big Bear Lake Eaglet Making Progress Hatching" by Janntonne on 4/13/19:

Pic from AZJan at 11:53 PM on 4/13/19 of progression:

Chick still not hatched as of 6:30 am nest time on 4/14/19. The lining is worn away now that was seen last pm. Here is a pic by Mary G @ approximately 6:30 am nest time to show progress:

At 6:54 PST, Shadow arrived and re-arranged some fluff. Mrs. BB then got up and actually left the nest for the 1st time since 4/12/19! Shadow got on the eggs, but the glimpse of the hatching egg was too brief for me to tell anything...

It is 7:30 nest time and Shadow has almost been in constant movement or re-positioning for several minutes now. Don't know if chick is still alive, but this may help it free itself!

At 7:38, Shadow got up and actually beaked the hatching egg a couple times. It must have life for him to be so keen on it. In a few seconds, you can see part of the chick's head and white fluff of part of it's body that is obviously dried. Chick is still in a large portion of the egg and there is obviously a problem, but hope Shadows movement can gently pry off the remaining shell from the chick without harming it.

At 7:57 Apparently the lining of the egg is not gone and it shows up well in this pic. Unfortunately, there is not a cam op this morning for close-ups. Shadow continues to work it. Here is a pic by Amanda:

Constant buffering from cam at inopportune moments, but this is from aprox 8:10 posting of pic by Gusti2011

As far as I know, they are counting this as the hatch, it may still have some lining or membrane from the eggshell on it's bottom, but free of the shell as far as I know. Shadow played a big role in getting this shell off safely from chick. This has been the most arduous hatching of an egg that I have ever witnessed!!
:spring1: :hatchegg: Congratulations to Shadow and Mrs. BB!! :spring1:

Mrs BB has been back from her 1st break off the nest since the beginning of hatching on 4/12/19. She is gently trying to persuade Shadow to move, even gently beaking his beak, but so far as of 9:07 nest time, he has refused to budge! She has not seen the chick yet. By 9:20 at over 20 minutes of persuasion by Mrs. BB, Shadow has yet to get up ...

Finally at 9:23 nest time after Mrs. BB walks around the nest toward the right and approaches Shadow from a different direction ... he gets up and Mom sees her chick (Big Bear wants called BB1 till named) for the 1st time and is lying on her new chick and remaining egg as I leave!!

Shadow looking @ his 1st hatch @ approx 12:30 nest time by Kiwi Bird:

Mom with BB1 about at approx 2:20 nest time. Pic per Mary G:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:54 am 

Mrs. BB of Big Bear just completed a feed to BB1 with several misses, but it got some bites. Also, there is an obvious pip in the 2nd egg and it may be a little caved inward around it. Here's a capture by Trish Rawlings:

:spring1:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 pm 

Big Bear Lake, CA

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:27 pm 

:spring1: :hatchegg: :hatchegg: For Mrs. BB and Shadow!! To be known as BB2! :spring1: Friends of Big Bear and Dr. Sharpe actually called the hatch this morning when the egg was cracked and holding together by a bit with BB2 partially visible per the crack. I thought it had it's head stuck in half of the shell all day, but it turns out it was it's butt as the pic below by cattink will show as that is what is still wet as of 2:03 nest time when it finally cleared the shell!! Shadow has not quite got a grasp on all this as while he wants badly to be with his chicks (hasn't seen BB2 out of shell yet), he has yet to bring in any food since before BB1 hatched. He is still bringing in sticks and fluff today and wanting to lie on chicks, but she has not let him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:02 pm 

I did not witness, but gathered from IWS chat that Mrs. BB had to leave in order to bring in food for the chicks as Shadow has yet to do so. I did just see a feed from what she did bring in earlier and she was able to feed the oldest chick, but the youngest is still too weak to raise his head it seems.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:39 am 

:buzzybee: Big Bear nest made the LA Times with article and video:

:spring1:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 am 

Love it when our wildlife makes the news. :biggrin: Thanks SWINWK!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next