Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: WILDLIFE CONSERVATION & REHABILITATION~2012
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:41 pm 

Baby Great Horned Owl successfully re-nested!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:02 pm 

I just love that wonderful story beans! :thumbup Thanks so much!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:49 am 

I remember this beautiful falcon in the hospital

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:56 am 

Oh that was incredible beans. Thank you so much for sharing the video. Hats off to the videographer. How he kept that bird in his viewfinder and in focus was amazing. And of course thanks to all who rehabbed this bird to give her the gift of freedom and flight! :thumbup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:36 am 

OMG how awesome to see that thank you beans

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:22 pm 

After being discovered wing-walking down a country road near a lake,
Chris Hatton of For the Birds of Indiana rescued this beautiful loon.
We suspect he landed in a puddle then could not get the appropriate lift to fly back to water.
After examining him, noting just a little wing wear, then feeding him lots of fish,
Chris deemed him healthy enough to be released near his rescue site.
Finally, someone knew just what he needed! :thumbup
For the Birds of Indiana

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:33 pm 

Thank you, gigi. These birds need a "long runway" in the water in order to take off!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:44 pm 

They sure do! We had a rainy spell around then and there were lots of very shallow puddles. Luckily someone didn't just run over him before we got to him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:49 pm 

Image Image
Quote:
International Bird Rescue’s San Francisco Bay Center recently admitted a Western Gull that had survived three life-threatening encounters with mankind! Covered in what looked and smelled like mechanical lubricant, he was captured near San Francisco International Airport. During his intake evaluation, Center staff found fishing hook wounds in the corners of his mouth. X-rays taken to ensure that he had not in fact swallowed the hook revealed that he had been previously shot with a BB. This one bird had been - on three different occasions - oiled, hooked, and even shot.

While the Gull’s BB wound was surely intentionally inflicted, its fishing hook injury and exposure to life-threatening lubricant were likely the result of human carelessness – and these are just some of the many threats birds face while living in close proximity to people.

Your gift to International Bird Rescue will directly impact our ability to heal the wounds of human interference by offering each avian patient the expert care it deserves.

This Gull has survived the intensive wash it required to remove the lubricant, and is rehabilitating in our Pelican Aviary, but he is just one of dozens of birds with human-caused injuries in our care right now.

Source: International Bird Rescue email

This is a juvenile Western Gull. What horrible experiences this youngster has had. Not a great way to grow up.... :sad:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:52 pm 

I’m glad to have some good news to report from Audubon. Just received this email:

Quote:
Back in late April, we alerted all of you to a tragedy unfolding in the Lower Klamath National Wildlife Refuge. Because of a shortage of water in the Refuge, thousands of migratory waterfowl were perishing on their way north for spring migration.

Our alarm prompted nearly 20,000 of you to send emails to the Secretary of the Interior asking for more water at this critical time. Soon after your emails hit, the Bureau of Reclamation started new releases of water into the Refuge, and it looks like the the birds will have what they need through the summer.

Clearly, public attention and involvement can make a difference, and we thank all of those who took a moment to speak out. The Lower Klamath National Wildlife Refuge is widely considered the most important place for migratory waterfowl in the Lower 48, and it deserves our attention. As we noted in our alert, ad hoc water releases are only a temporary solution, and we’ll have to remain watchful in the fall when birds will be need water in the Refuge.

Thank you again,

Audubon California

Information here:

http://www.audublog.org/?p=7540

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:36 pm 

Thanks beans. Poor gull. Hopefully he is on the road to recovery

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:37 pm 

I picked up a Western Gull yesterday at Animal Services and transported him to the hospital. While at Animal Services, I spoke with an animal control officer. The day before, he had rescued a Western Gull in the bay. The gull was entangled in fishing line and something was holding him down. He was bobbing in the water. As he came up, he took a breath, then was pulled under the water again. How long he did this, the officer didn't know. But this gull certainly had a will to live! He was taken to International Bird Rescue.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:38 pm 

I am not sure where to post this.

For the last two years, I have written (and called) my representatives to make them aware of the negative side effect of wind farms. Now I am turning my attention to NRDC and have written and sent the following letter:

Quote:
I wish to thank NRDC for the wonderful work it has accomplished. As a member of NRDC, I have supported its causes through contributions, calls, email, and letters. However, setting up a legacy gift probably won't happen because NRDC supports wind farms.

Wind farms kill thousands of federally protected migratory birds each year. As they fly over these farms, many of them are fatally injured by the large, revolving blades. Their injuries are such that few can be successfully treated at wildlife hospitals. How heart-breaking to see a beautiful Golden Eagle (or other bird) die in agony, its wings broken, its skull crushed... Must we sacrifice these magnificent birds in our quest for renewable energy sources? Surely, there are safer ways to generate clean power.

Oil companies are still being fined for oiled birds. (I washed these birds in the 2007 Cosco Busan oil disaster in San Francisco Bay, so I know first-hand how they suffered.) Why aren't wind farms fined? Fining may be the only way to motivate them to modify their equipment. These enterprises seem to have little, if any, interest in supporting wildlife. On the other hand, NRDC should.

The signed letter was sent to

Michelle Mulia-Howell
Director of Gift Planning
Natural Resources Defense Council
40 W 20th St.
New York, NY 10011

She can also be emailed here:

http://www.legacy.vg/nrdc/giving/4.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:18 pm 

Quote:
For the last two years, I have written (and called) my representatives to make them aware of the negative side effect of wind farms.

I have often wondered myself why they do not enclose the blades, much like the blades are enclosed on our household fans. Perhaps there is a good reason why not, but either way, these industries should be looking for a way to decrease the death toll on our birds.

Related to this whole issue of bird deaths, I understand that many tall buildings still keep their lights on all night long, even though by doing this they kill thousands of birds who are distracted by the lights and fly into the buildings.

Like Beans, I think people have to get after their governments officials and politicians in order to see a change for the better. Government pays attention when enough people complain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:07 pm 

Elaine wrote:
Quote:
For the last two years, I have written (and called) my representatives to make them aware of the negative side effect of wind farms.

I have often wondered myself why they do not enclose the blades, much like the blades are enclosed on our household fans. Perhaps there is a good reason why not, but either way, these industries should be looking for a way to decrease the death toll on our birds.

Related to this whole issue of bird deaths, I understand that many tall buildings still keep their lights on all night long, even though by doing this they kill thousands of birds who are distracted by the lights and fly into the buildings.

Like Beans, I think people have to get after their governments officials and politicians in order to see a change for the better. Government pays attention when enough people complain.
Perhaps there is a good reason why not
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:30 pm 

The Humane Society does a lot for both wild and domestic animals. If you live in the US, here's your chance to help factory egg-laying chickens:

Quote:
Help Improve the Lives of Laying Hens

We applaud the introduction of S. 3239, the Egg Products Inspection Act Amendments of 2012, in the U.S. Senate by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., with a bipartisan team of original cosponsors (Senators Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., Scott Brown, R-Mass., Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., Jeff Merkley, D-Ore., Ron Wyden, D-Ore., and David Vitter, R-La.). We urge Congress to act swiftly to enact this legislation. S. 3239, which is a companion to H.R. 3798 introduced in the House in January, will lead to major improvements in housing for 280 million hens involved in U.S. egg production, while providing a stable future for egg farmers. H.R. 3798/S. 3239 would phase-in significantly more space plus environmental enrichments for these birds to enable them to express natural behaviors like nesting and perching, as well as ban starvation molting and excess ammonia levels that cause respiratory problems, and give consumers more information about production methods right on the egg carton (e.g., labeling “eggs from caged hens” and “eggs from cage-free hens”).

TAKE ACTION

Please make a brief, polite phone call to your two U.S. Senators, urging support for and co-sponsorship of S. 3239. Look up your legislators' phone numbers here. You can say: "As a constituent concerned about preventing cruelty to animals, I'm writing to urge you to support and co-sponsor S. 3239."

After making your call, please also use the form below to send a follow-up note to Congress urging support for H.R. 3798/S. 3239. We encourage you to add your own thoughts or comments about this legislation in the editable portion, so your federal legislators know how important this issue is to you personally.

Several years ago, California passed Proposition 2, which greatly improves the lives of farm animals (will take affect 2015, which gives the owners of farms plenty of time to make the required changes). Now we need a federal law to ensure more humane treatment of hens. The link below will take you to a new page, where you can contact your Senator:

https://secure.humanesociety.org/site/A ... on&id=5583

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:11 pm 

We can help them here in Canada, as well. The World Society for the Protection Animals (WSPA)(http://www.wspa.ca/) has been campaigning on this issue for quite some time, and to date, some grocery stores and other businesses have agreed to promote better living conditions for hens; i.e., free range or cage-free. Safeway here where I live sells eggs from cage-free eggs, and although it is not as good as free range, it is a vast improvement over cages.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:54 pm 

Thanks, Elaine. I have bought cage-free chickens & eggs for years. It costs a little more, but I don't want to eat a chicken that's led a short, painful life.

This Senate bill is very important. With the success of Prop 2, some stores in California may try to buy their eggs and chickens from factory forms, to save money. We need a level playing field here, with all states complying.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:26 pm 

Quote:
I have bought cage-free chickens & eggs for years. It costs a little more, but I don't want to eat a chicken that's led a short, painful life.

Absolutely, I agree, Beans. I would rather pay more money any time, any day than promote more suffering in the animal agricultural industry. The WSPA is also working on eliminating the gestation crate for pigs; I cannot imagine how horrific it must be to be stuck and not able to move for weeks at a time. I do whatever I can to support this initiative, as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:34 pm 

Our Lindsay Great Gray Owl is a hero.

A young Great Gray owlet, who fell out of his nest, was brought to Lindsay Wildlife Museum hospital a few weeks ago. To avoid imprinting from humans, we isolated him in one of our aviaries. Staff dressed up like a bush in a special costume when they entered the aviary to bring mice. Our Great Gray Owl acted as surrogate parent. And he acted unlike he ever had. We could hear vocalizations from him that we had never heard before.

The owlet was successfully put back in his tree with his siblings. He was “branching” before we released him. His parents will continue to feed their young until they are independent.

The Great Gray Owl is an endangered species, with only 200 – 300 in California. It is vital that we restore wildlife habitats. If a bird doesn’t have a place to live, what’s the sense in saving him?

:arrow: Story Here

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next