Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WHITE ROCK, BC Canada ~2018
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:26 pm 

:canada Please Post WHITE ROCK, BC comments here! :canada

CAM LINK:
CLOSE-UP:
WIDE-ANGLE:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: WHITE ROCK, BC Canada ~2018
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:43 pm 

:nervous: Came across this video while I was on YT looking up Eagle Country. I do not know if this is the right place for this. The links here did not take me to the nest. I am unfamiliar with this nest, but a baby crow was brought in as prey to this eagle nest yesterday, but Dad has been brooding it. I am not sure that they have fed it though. It may not end well yet for the baby crow. They have a 27 day old eaglet. Here's the story from Lady Hawk that is under her video:

Video by Lady Hawk

"This is incredible live coverage that is going on right now! A baby crow was brought in as prey to the White Rock bald eagle nest yesterday. The baby crow started begging for food and the parent did not kill it but instead started to take care of it as if it was their own one or two day old eaglet! Just amazing!! This eagle couple have a 27 day old eaglet in the nest and had another egg laid that was not viable and broke. One hypothesis is that the eagles feel this crow is their other chick that never hatched and are brooding it and providing shade.

The crow parents were seen dive bombing and bombarding the nest at 4:07 as they are understandably upset knowing their baby has been taken from them. How will this play out? Will the crowlet be able to be fed and survive until it can fledge? So many unknowns at this point but truly nature is amazing! Thank you for watching!"

Link to White Rock cam, select North:

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:30 pm 

:girlsad3: Reading their forum, the baby crow has not been fed today. One report says a parent tried to feed the crow, but it didn't work this morning. Another report says parent brought in a fish for Quebec the eaglet and fed it, but the baby crow did not move up to be fed. And another report made me think no attempt to feed the baby crow. I think both eagle parents have brooded it.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:43 pm 

There was another eagle nest a few years ago that brought in a hawk chick. It survived and fledged. Hopefully they will start feeding this little one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:52 pm 

:1val: I remember that, mwplay! I sooooooooooo hope they can find a way to feed this crow chick!!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:21 am 

It's starting to get dark now. The Mom eagle got up a little bit ago and as she rose the baby crow opened it's beak to be fed. A problem is it does not move toward her, but remains in it's position up against the rails with it's back and the back of it's head to her. Mom went over and uncovered some leftovers and took a few bites. Then she moved some nesting materials. Then she starts to feed again. Quebec was not too interested, but did eventually come over and took a few bites. I think Mom ate a little more and then she went back and got between Quebec and the baby crow. I really felt she wanted to feed it as she looked toward it a couple times, but it never turned around much less come toward her even though it is obviously hungry and wants to be fed. I've seen it open it's beak to be fed many times this eve. It did it while the adult crows were cawing and dive bombing the nest earlier. The styles/cues to be fed or to feed seem to not be clicking quite with each other.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:08 am 

I too remember the red tailed hawk raised by eagles - also in Canada. :15heartbeat: Christian Sasse and David Hancock of the Hancock Wildlife Foundation spent many hours at the nest site recording videos and observations of this unique situation. They befriended the neighbors and even had a big party to celebrate the hawk's fledging! Christian is already aware of the crow so it will be interesting to hear their perspectives on this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:15 pm 

:girlsad3: Came in on a feed to Quebec that was already in progress. This time the baby crow was facing the feed, but back just a little. It kept opening it's beak to be fed, but too far away. I have tried to see what Sasse has said as I understand there is a video on his FB page, but for some reason I can not pull this page up. From what some have said in chat (that does not have a mod) is he said the eagles will be unable to feed it. I am assuming this is due to the style in which raptors are fed as opposed to crows. Will search more later, but this does not seem as if it will work out for this baby crow. It's possible sibling was brought in injured prior and fed to Quebec, but when this one was brought in as prey uninjured it was immediately begging for food which some think elicited a reaction from the parent eagle who then spared it. Parent is brooding Quebec (so big, only it's head and upper body are covered) and the baby crow as I leave.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 2:07 pm 

Baby crow didn't make it.....

:sorrow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:04 pm 

Awww. Not surprising.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:49 pm 

:sorrow: Went in earlier this afternoon to review after mwplay had posted it's death, because I was surprised it had died this soon. I thought eventually it would die of dehydration from the lack of any intake, but it seemed it was going to take awhile yet with the good condition this chick arrived in . While the Mom was feeding Quebec and the baby crow was food begging, I really did not notice weakness or changes, especially that associated with the dying process. I noticed when Ma went in to brood them, Quebec scooted upward and completely covered the baby crow. Then later when Mom got up and went around the nest, she came to the left side of Quebec and reached under it to pull out the dead baby crow with a few tugs. It makes me think the baby crow died from asphyxia.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:12 pm 

That's what I thought too SWINK. I thought maybe it got crushed. Mom or Dad buried the baby.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:51 pm 

:1val: Thanks for letting me know they buried the crow chick, mwplay. I have to say I wasn't expecting that. When I wrote the post above I went back to see what they did with it, but there was a reset. I thought Quebec was surprisingly very tolerant of the chick considering he had been raised alone.They even slept side by side sometimes. Wish it could have turned out otherwise. They say crows recognize human faces especially if they have been mean to them and they relay that to other crows. The crow family is likely not to forget this eagle pair and nest ... (although we understand the eagles were not being mean to them.)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:06 am 

Such a shame about this little crowlet. :sorrow: Watching the video of it opening its little beak were more than I could watch.

I have heard that about crows too. A while back there was a show, probably on PBS, that showed not only did the crows remember, but their offspring, who never had seen the scary figure, did too. They are so smart and oh so entertaining!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:46 pm 

:eggthumb: Love them, but really don't get to see them as I did in childhood.