Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: COLUMBUS, MARCH~2017
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:25 pm 

Great pics of Durand, Aries (love that name!) and those beautiful eggs.

I am saddened about one thing: this male's mother just might be Aerial b/r 65/H which would make Aries the grandson of Orville 12/P and Scout P/72.

Aerial 65/H was hatched from the Rhodes Tower in 2009 and in 2011 a NEW NEST SITE was at the Wood County Court House in Bowling Green, Wood County, OH. The male at this new site was unbanded but
the female was Aerial 65/H. Aerial would be the exact same age as Durand so she is probably still nesting at
Bowling Green, OH.

Unfortunately, the 2012, 2013 and 2014 (last Midwest Peregrine Society last annual report from Ohio) had in these three years for ALL OHIO FALCON NESTS - just how many young were banded with NO INFORMATION about the parents! Jennifer Norris provided the information for those years and it was nothing close to what Dave Scott reported in previous years. Dr. Tordoff would not have accepted just a few lines on these yearly reports and would have contacted anyone giving just the number of chicks banded.

For Bowling Green, OH banding:
May 27, 2014: 4 female chicks banded
May 16, 2013 2 female chicks banded
May 15, 2012: 4 females chicks banded
June 1, 2011: 4 female chicks banded

When Aries was banded May 27, 2014, he was banded as a female
USFWS Band: 1947-24881 (right leg)
Color ID Band: b/r 30/Z (left leg)

My heart tells me Aries IS Aerial's son and, therefore, the grandson of the much beloved Orville and Scout.

It is just not the same in Ohio for nesting falcons since 2015 was the last year chicks were banded. That is another thing that saddens me.

I am hearing thunder now at 923pm. Stay safe, Durand and Aries and those wonderful eggs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

So great to see you, Juanita!!

...and thanks for that information. Aries IS Aerial's son...that's why we "named" him Aries. Aerial nested at the Bowling Green nest but was displaced in 2016. I'm waiting to hear back from BBL about ID on the new Bowling Green female (not in the data base.)

Another one of Scout and Orville Daughters, Eclipse, nests at the Wisconsin Energy Oak Creek Power station nest. We're still waiting for a confirmation from Greg Septon that she has been positively ID for 2017.

I'm still really missing Boomer and Spark.. :girlsad3: and I really miss having these kids banded..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:52 pm 

Hi Juanita. Nice to see you. It is a shame that they no longer band the chicks, isn't it. It's always so, I don't know, interesting and reassuring or something to know a falcon's genealogy. Without banding, their Identity and history is lost. Very sad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:15 pm 

Thank you, skygirlblue! Great news Aerial's son is at his Mama's birthplace! Boomer and Spark were 2 great mates for beautiful Durand and I miss those 2 boys! Love the name Aries,
skygirlblue, it's mine and Rita's Zodiac sign!

ljames, you described the chicks no longer being banded exactly right - when these unbanded falcons end up at other nest sites we will never known who they are and where they come from. That is so sad.

Wow! Really getting thunder, lightning and heavy downpours of rain. We don't have any serious weather for Columbus so that's good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:39 am 
Site Admin

I'm guessing #4 will arrive after dark...or maybe she can hold out until first light Sat morning so that we can watch...

Ledge cam is off line (for me)...and I'm getting ready to leave for work. Back tonight..(boy do I hate my hours)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:43 am 
Global Moderator

Juanita - wonderful to see you!! :15heartbeat:

Many-many thanks for all the awesome info!!
I am also so sad about the -not banding- situation.
Darn it! Maybe it will come back-we can hope.

Hope your kitties are doing good, you are soooo good to them!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:42 am 

There is a new blog update from Donna. She mentions that the ledge cam is down and probably will be until next week.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:17 pm 

:hithere: Thanks Vlu. I can't believe we are missing both sound AND the ledge cam. Ack! Thank goodness we have the nest cam....hope that holds out for the arrival of egg 4. I think the plan was to try and fix the sound when all the eggs were laid, since it might involve loss of the cams. I sure hope they can fix everything. It's always a treat to hear the chicks tapping and chirping their way out of the eggs. :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:11 pm 

Does anyone know if there is a way to finance banding via Kickstart or something like that? Is it just a matter of finance or is there a requirement that the species must be endangered or part of a research project? Just thinking about all that is lost by no longer banding these much loved and admired birds. Would be great if all of the devoted fans of this and many other nests could put our collective heads together and solve this conundrum. :think

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:12 pm 

Love the videos SGB. So glad everything is working out ok, he's a cutie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:21 pm 
Global Moderator

Perkdiggity - I am not sure why we (Ohio) does not band anymore...MA-Skygirl might have the info
on the 'why' ... I sure do miss having the ability to watch for our Ohio bands at other nestsites.

>Thanks vlu for the link...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:06 pm 

They must have lightened up the viewing on the nest cam for night viewing, as I can see inside the box tonight. Someone got off the eggs. There are still 3 eggs....and now someone back on the eggs.

Banding was stopped due to the birds recovery and lack of a need to continue tracking their whereabouts. They've been studied for many years and are no longer considered endangered or threatened in Ohio. It's felt to be an unnecessary expenditure in man hours and takes DOW staff away from other work. Record keeping has not been consistent and the banding process is stressful for all involved. Some birds have suffered injuries from the bands if caught on something or if the bird suffers a foot injury with swelling. Aries was lucky that he didn't suffer an injury when he lost his federal band and we all saw how SW at the Terminal Tower tried to pry her band off when she lost a talon and had foot swelling. The band was constricting her. There are certainly pros and cons. At this point, with such a good pfa population, the cons are outweighing the pros.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17