Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: COLUMBUS~JULY-SEPTEMBER, 2017
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:26 pm 

:sum9: That is terrific news about Bolt! He was rescued after fledge by Donna and brought back up to the ledge to try again. I believe he was a "curly", so this is wonderful news to hear that one of them is doing so well into adulthood. Spark's son.....wonderful!

Thanks SGB! I will work on that survey. I wonder if they have any plans to resume the nest box at the Rhodes Tower once the renovation is complete (I realize I am jumping way ahead on this, but it was such a great location for the pfa's).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:38 pm 

I always thought that Flash was the "curly" of the group. The three were nicknamed "Curly", "Fluffy" and "Baby" until they were banded. At the time I felt that "Baby" ended up being Bolt, but many others felt that he was originally "Fluffy". I don't think that question was ever resolved.

Regardless, I'm thrilled that Bolt has been spotted! Now if only Storm would make an appearance somewhere...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:08 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
So how can we help? Several ways...(this info is from Donna)

First, we can take a survey, which can be found here:

You'll notice that it asks you to rank several Ohio DNR services. Just ignore that. Under the services, you'll see a text box where you can share your thoughts/support/suggestions/enthusiasm, etc. Quick and easy.

The second way (or ways) is via email or contact form:

Direct email: wildinfo@dnr.state.oh.us, Attn: Chief Miller

For those of you who may not be aware, Mike Miller is the new Wildlife Division Chief. He has already made some very controversial cuts in his department, and we need to advocate for the falcons and make sure they are NOT the next to go!! Even though Donna has done just about all she could do to ensure the continuation of the program, there are no guarantees. I hope that everyone who enjoys Durand and Aries and falcons in general, will take the time to contact the appropriate department!!

Just in case anyone missed this on the previous page...
THANK YOU, DONNA!

:flirty:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:10 pm 

Hi Vlu...I wasn't with BCAW for the 2015 nesting season, but I was with the CMNH site and recall both Flash and Bolt as curly's to my observations while Storm was fluffy. Flash was the 1st hatch, Storm was the 2nd hatch, and Bolt was the baby. People on BCAW may have had a different opinion. Both Flash and Bolt required rescue. In 2016, there was also a curly male (baby) with distinct feather gaps visible on cam. He too was picked up by Donna. I remember her saying that he was very small for a male, but his feathers were fine. He was the only one that year with yellow feet, which helped identify him. When he was put back on the ledge, his feathers looked great with no gaps. A delayed emergence from the sheath? The whole feather issue was so strange and inconsistent. This year, Flash should have molted into her adult coloring. I wonder how she is doing in rehab? Does anyone know? Does she still have a feather issue?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:20 pm 

:sunsmile: BOLT! :sunsmile:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:20 am 
Site Admin

bonbon, thanks for bumping the info up and thanks to all who have or are planning on voicing their support!! Its very important!!

Nadia and Vlu, you both have better memories than I do about Fluffy, Curly, and Baby and who knows where my notes are now for that time period. (I suppose all of our theories can be found in the archives~LOL)

I'm pretty sure I posted an update about Flash a while back (Or maybe it was about Blaze). I'll have to see if I can find that. (but don't hold your breath!!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Updates on Flash and Blaze.

Flash was sent to Glen Helen Raptor Center. I'll have to research to see if she is still there. The latest pic I could find of her was from December, 2015..() Their website shows a pefa, but that could be of Velocity. (another Columbus alum)

As far as I know, Blaze is still at Ohio Bird Sanctuary~I only found her baby pic on their FB page.

Both birds are listed as Educational Birds on their respective websites. I'm assuming that is still true.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:59 pm 

:sunsmile:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:59 pm 

Wow, I can't imagine the falcons without Donna. I guess it's possible that we won't have the falcons anymore for that matter. I'm sure they will be there somewhere but without the support and care of the ODNR. Thank you Donna for your service to the Department and especially to the Falcons. I know that many falcons are alive today because of your efforts. I wish you the best in the future.
Now I will go and try to figure out how to do this survey or the email. The fact that there isn't a falcon and/or webcam option isn't hopeful though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:36 pm 

Wow....going back through my notes on Columbus, I confused Dart (male) of 2014 with Bolt (male) of 2015. Yikes. My apologies to everyone here. Could someone hit me in the head with a brick? :girlcrazy: I have notations on scraps of paper for each nesting year at Columbus after Spark's arrival. I really need to compile the info. I have Bolt noted as being fluffy, not curly. In 2014, it was Hoshe, Blaze and Dart in hatch order. Blaze and Dart were curlies. Both were rescued by Donna. Blaze got low and was returned to the ledge multiple times before being sent to rehab and became an educational bird. Blaze seemed to have a collision injury. Dart was returned to the ledge once. In 2015, we had Flash, Storm, and Bolt in hatch order. My notes indicate that only Flash was curly. She ended up on a lower ledge of the Rhodes Tower after fledge and stayed put for several days before trying to fly again and ended up on the ground, where Donna picked her up. Flash's feathers were a mess. She became an educational bird. I do not believe Bolt ever needed rescuing. I'm so glad he's doing well. Sooooorry!!!
:sum5:

SGB, thanks for the info on Blaze and Flash. It's too bad those centers don't have updated pics of them.

I really hope they don't do away with the Columbus cam. I think it is so educational. It certainly inspired me to get involved with the Audubon Society and other birding activities. I just had a rescue on Thursday at my office. Glass windows and migration don't mix well. The warbler is at the vet. Who knows who else the cam might inspire.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: COLUMBUS~JULY-DECEMBER, 2017
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:15 am 

Hello Everyone: I have been swamped with work so coming back to find out that Donna has retired and Mike Miller is taking over. I am stunned to think that the falcon program could be in danger. I finally completed the survey - I hope my questions will be answered about the falcons. they are indeed a great teaching tool to learn about birding but if you watch them for any length of time a study in family life. The thought of not watching the falcons on the web cam is over whelming.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:18 am 

Thank you SGB for your update on Flash and Blaze and for researching their status. Helping to rescue Flash was a dream of mine come true so it is great to hear about her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:04 pm 

Blaze is doing well with the fine folks at Ohio Bird Sanctuary. I visited their facility back in the end of June. I'm not sure how to post photos from imgur, but here's the link https://imgur.com/a/0lqBz

She now has her beautiful adult plumage and she was flapping quite a bit the day we visited. She has a male peregrine friend in the cage next door. She is quite a bit bigger than him!

If you are interested in donating to OBS, you should check out their adopt-a-bird program. If you donate a specific amount, you can get to meet a bird of your choice and get your photo taken with them. I did this with Blaze last year or two years ago and it was really neat. She was still brown then though! OBS does good work and they're all around a great charity to support.

I also encourage all to check out the OBS site. They have quite a bit of forested area on their property with trails you can walk. They also have a large songbird enclosure where you can go in and see the songbirds in person. You can get a cup of meal works to feed to them and some will even take food from your hands, especially the blue jays. It's really worth a stop!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:36 pm 
Global Moderator

Wow ccollin13 - thank you so much.
I will check out Ohio Bird Sanctuary...sounds like a great place!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:47 pm 

she is gorgeous. I did donate for her , but live too far away to ever get my pciutre taken . How far is this form columbus. next time my daughter has business in Columbus , I may go with her. I try to donate to the birds we watch , if they have to go in for rehab.

has anyone seen our columbus falcons around. sure miss the cam. hope they give the new site a try. But they will pick what they want. The thing is , if they pick a new site, maybe the box can be put there with a cam.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:25 pm 

It's about an hour and a half from Columbus, mostly highway but some countryside driving too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:59 pm 

ccollin13 wrote:
It's about an hour and a half from Columbus, mostly highway but some countryside driving too.

thank you Colin. may have to rent a car. will see what time of year it will be.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:01 pm 
Global Moderator

Mansfield, Ohio 2 hours plus from me...Not bad!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:39 am 

I may check this out! I would love to go.......
:15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:06 pm 

any sightings of falcons

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next