Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: COLUMBUS~JANUARY, 2018
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:00 am 

:girlsad3:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

I emailed Karen this morning..Here was her reply....very discouraging..I'm gonna see if I can nudge her into doing a little more investigating!!

"Unfortunately nothing has changed."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:05 pm 

:sunmad: :sunmad: :sunmad:
I hope you are successful Sky!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:26 pm 

Spotted one of the falcons circling the Rhodes tower on Monday 2/12/18 at dusk... around 6:15 pm. I’ve checked out the 31st floor of the riffe but there’s nothing visible from the public windows.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

ccollin13 wrote:
Spotted one of the falcons circling the Rhodes tower on Monday 2/12/18 at dusk... around 6:15 pm. I’ve checked out the 31st floor of the riffe but there’s nothing visible from the public windows.

Thanks so much for checking in with us...I really feel like we're flying blind at this point...I'm so happy you saw someone!! I just have this sinking feeling that they're both still trying to get back to their ledge with no success. I just pray they find one of the boxes and not some gutter somewhere.

We need Donna to come out of retirement!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:30 pm 

Ditto that. Does anyone know if Donna still lives in the area? I wonder if she would have any interest in looking for the pair? If they are not seen on cam at the Riffe, the only way to know where they are is to spend time on the ground observing. That could take hours of patient waiting for a sighting in the air and following them to where they are perching, but that is what birding is all about. If I lived there, I would do it, but I realize it is a lot to ask of people that live there....it is time consuming. We don't even know if we are dealing with the same birds as last year. This is tough. Sigh!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:16 pm 
Global Moderator

Many thanks ccollin13 (!)

Ditto MA and Nadia...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:31 pm 

awe, thanks Ccolin.
we ll you know if I lived there , I would be camping out LOL

that is the only way ot know where they are. spot them an d then follow but it can take 4-6 hours of straight watching.

that is how we found where Radisson and Chase were the year they did not use the box.

my fingers are crossed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:28 pm 

I spotted a falcon flying on Friday, on Tuesday, and today, all from our office windows in the Rhodes Tower. Nothing else to report, but there is at least one bird who is very active downtown right now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:32 pm 
Global Moderator

Thanks ccollin13 (!)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:39 pm 

:flirty:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for letting us know that, ccollins13. I sure hope they are both still there...somewhere.

I'll try to email Karen again over the weekend...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:16 pm 

Thanks Ccollin. I wish we knew more, had a definitive ID, and a location where they are nesting. Courtship is well underway in Ohio at other nest sites. I wonder if they are nesting on the roof of the Rhodes Tower.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:48 pm 

:impat: I wish we knew more of what was going on here. Most of Durand's eggs have been laid on March 19th. We are getting close. Does anyone have any idea where this pair has chosen to nest?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:03 pm 

you need someone to just stay down there and watch an d I know there is no one available. but if my Kristy, takes another trip to Columbus I will try and go with her and I will look. do not know when that will be. we sometimes wait for 4 hours or sometimes more.

wish Donna was around, she would look. this is such a shame

signs to look for, after eggs laid, exchanges between 2 falcons. should be able to see if there long enough. I would look on roof around area or ledges, since they are used to ledges. are they working on the whole building.

fingers crossed. when egg time comes, they may go to new box as last resort, if they know it is there

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:00 pm 

My sister, who is an avid birder, spotted two peregrines atop the Ohio State football stadium today. That's about 5 miles from downtown. At least one is a mature adult (black, not brown). She couldn't tell if the other one was brown or black. But there were definitely two.

Last week, a mature adult was spotted out in the countryside outside of Galloway (west/southwest Columbus). I saw a photo of it in a birder Facebook group, and it did not have leg bands. I don't have any more information about that one, though.

I haven't seen any falcons downtown in the last few days, but that does not mean they are not around.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:04 pm 

:girlsad3: Thanks, ccollin13! This is not looking good for us this season. I hope Durand and Aries are okay and have a nest ... somewhere ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:06 pm 

Love you, Durand and Aries!! :flirty:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:16 am 
Site Admin

Thanks ccollins for that report...I believe there used to be a a box at OSU...and several years ago a male was regularly spotted at the stadium...At one point, there was some speculation that the unidentified (and unbanded) male at the Rhodes was actually the male at OSU...anybody else remember that..

Thanks for posting the link to Karen's update, SWINWK...I had seen it earlier, but had to rush out the door..so, thanks for bringing it here. Needless to say, I am very bummed...actually, that's an understatement...man, if we could just get one of our Columbus forum members to stake out the OSU campus...

Ya know...I think we all knew this was gonna be a very strong possibility...we've just seen this happen too often at other sites that have had to close off a nest ledge for whatever reason. At this point, I just hope that Durand and Aries are together and have found a safe place to nest...Since both are unusual (Durand with her black band and Aries with no band on his right leg) maybe somebody can ID them!!

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that we will eventually get a positive ID on them!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:30 pm 

thanks sGB
sometimes when their site is compromised, they wait till last minute to decide where to lay egg. we saw this at U of a 3 seasons ago. they had aske dpermission ot put a box and I do not think they got it. am I remembering that right. there was someone, (trying to remember name, Rosekk will remember,) who had been watching there
( she used ot be at buffalo and moved to Columbus.
and I remember Clementine being at university. and when our beloved Scout passed away, Clementine came to Rhodes tower. ( we know how that ended)

my fingers are crossed. If they are nesting in downtown area, and anyone is watching, they will become visible.

so sad fo r them and us . they are more resilient than us.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next