Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: JERSEY CITY & UNION COUNTY~JANUARY-JUNE, 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:47 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
catwoman wrote:
Glad you posted that update on Junior, SGB. I wanted to make sure BCAW that aren't on Facebook knew this. :loveheart2:

I always post here first...BCAW is my top priority, NOT Facebook.. :biggrin: .if people prefer Facebook, then we no longer need the forum...just saying.

That's true. I love the forum.

Glad to know 'junior' is doing well. Miss seeing him though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:27 am 

thanks for all the incredible pciutre sand posts. :loveshow:

I am so glad they intervened here. What a great success. And i am so happy to see Junior.

wow a fledge today. hope all is well

also glad to see the young ones at Union. what a great year all around :hapdance:

and I love th e forum and rarely do FB

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:17 pm 

:egg8: Ditto that....I rarely look at facebook. If I want to know what is going on at a nest, this forum is my initial go to and the only place that I post updates and pics. I wouldn't want to lose the forum. If I need more info on a nest, I will check the nest's website or their own facebook page, if they have one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:14 pm 

Wow, and so it begins! I probably can't make it there this weekend, hopefully next weekend.

Bonnie wrote:
Jersey City: First fledged at 3:36 pm. I was there 3 hours too soon. Cam showed way off to the northeast of the building. Several years ago I saw the male flying upside down giving draft to a first flight. Let's hope the same happens. She will come down at 7 Green or 10 Exchange.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:53 am 
Site Admin

I haven't had time to check these nests out...but, did just stumble across this Blog entry about another NJ nest!!

I just love these guys...AND their sense of humor!!

Meet Blue Bonnet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:37 pm 

Great read.
I clicked on a link to read about the history of this place, it's hilarious from the start
Quote:
We all know that feeling of letting-it-all-go which we experience the moment we see the Island laid out in front of us as we speed over the bridge. I’ve known people who cry when they come over the Causeway. I mean eastbound. Everybody cries driving westbound. And not because of traffic, or because they have to pee so bad, but because they are just too happy at the sight of LBI to hold it in any longer, so they let it all go. The tears. Not the pee.

:teehee:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:22 am 

Sorry for the delayed report, one of the JC gals, BD/74 is at the Raptor Trust after being picked up Thursday morning. Don't have details on her condition, hopefully she just fluttered to the ground and needs a few days of exercise.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:20 pm 

Jersey City

Thanks mikeg713. Here's a post from their cam site about the juvie.

June 15

Yesterday one of the fledglings (BD/74) was found on the ground beneath 101 Hudson St. inside a fenced enclousure by a Falcon Cam viewer, David K. BD/74 was being harassed by some crows and might not have eaten for at least a day or as long as she was grounded. Luckily he knew exactly what to do in the situation! He called the local Animal Control, who has dealt with injured falcons several times in the past. They came and got her and then she was transported to The Raptor Trust (where she's already spent some time as a hatchling!) for care. It did not look like she was injured, but that was before she went to TRT. We'll have to wait and see if they find any fractures on a radiograph.

The other two eyases have been exploring the whole roof, so it's hard to keep them on camera, especially when you're busy working in the field too!

It's sounds like two juvies were still on the roof yesterday, but I am only seeing and hearing one today - BD76. So, I believe BD75 fledged some time today. I suspect she is not too far away, given the lone juvie's reaction to events near the building. Here are pics from this evening.

703 pm - Lone juvie.

721 pm - BD76 showing off her bands.

735 pm - She was really active and looked like she wanted to take off. Lots of intense flapping, hopping high up, and jumping down. Sticking her landings. She got lots of practice today. She looks ready and may go tomorrow.

826 pm - Parents must have been nearby. She was really calling out. Just screeching and looking down on the left side of the building....maybe her sibling was down there?

845 pm - Sleeping alone tonight. It's so sweet how they go back to the safety and security of the nest to sleep.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:38 pm 

Union County

I was watching this cam a long while early this evening and I only saw one juvie. It's the female BD73. She did lots of wing flapping and drooping of her wings as if she was about ready to take off. I have a feeling her brothers fledged and she wants to join the fun. I watched her hop her way up and down the ledge. She turned the corner and disappeared behind the building. Only one juvie returned to the nest tonight. I suspect it's her.

802 pm - The female, showing off her bling - BD73

851 pm - Only one juvie returned to the nest to sleep. Looks like the female with that one speck of white down remaining on top of her head.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:38 am 

Jersey City

The lone juvie is still there this morning. Hop flapping all over the roof. It will be hot today, reaching 90 and there is no breeze. So, maybe not the best day to fledge.

942am

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:06 am 

Thanks for those pics Nadia! I got word of another JC girl on the ground this morning which would probably be BD75 as you figured yesterday. People were there and waiting for someone to get a box, but she flew off on her own and hadn't been relocated as of 45 minutes ago. So hopefully she got to a safer place. No update yet on BD74, will try to find out something today. Unfortunately I can't get down there until next weekend at the earliest, but I'm really glad to hear people have been there for the first 2 fledges/groundings!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:50 am 

Update on BD74: She is doing well, x-rays were normal, and she's in a flight cage today for some extra practice!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:27 pm 

Jersey City

That's great news! Looks like BD76 took her 1st flight some time today. She is no longer on the roof. They have the cam focused on buildings below.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the great Union and JC coverage!! I haven't been able to check cams for the past few days, so great to read all the updates...boy, fledgling is TOUGH!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:50 pm 

Jersey City

A little update from the Jersey City cam website.

2018 NestBox News

June 20

We've heard that BD/74 is doing well at The Raptor Trust with no major injuries. She will be released back on the rooftop at 101 Hudson St. sometime next week after some time in their flight cages. BD/75 was seen on the ground below 101 Hudson, but was not captured. We are hopeful that she is alive and well! We assume BD/76 is alive and flying around downtown Jersey City. We hope to catch a glimpse of her on the PTZ camera soon!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:59 pm 

:penguin: Union County

Three of the fledglings accounted for and doing well with their flying this morning. Here are some videos from around 5:30 am this morning. They really look like they are enjoying themselves. Must have been after a feed...they are all wound up...lol. Courtesy of Enviroboop.

Two of the males.

The female practicing pouncing...lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:23 am 

:biggrin: Great videos, Nadia- so much fun to watch! Thankyou for posting them!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:49 pm 

Union County Courthouse: Cadence

Was down on Thursday and saw Cadence and Allen. Heard one or two youngsters begging. All seems to be well as far as the parents are concerned. Found the roof of the Caldwell Place garage that offers quite a view of the territory.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:15 pm 

Union County Courthouse, Elizabeth, NJ: Here is the link to my photos from this morning. This is the same link I posted on both NJ sites. I'm 80% certain I saw or heard all four youngsters.

https://bonniecoe.com/2018/06/24/fabulous-falcons/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:18 am 

:loveheart: Thank you, Bonnie- beautiful pictures!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next