Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
 Post subject: Re: JERSEY CITY & UNION COUNTY~May 2017
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:19 am 
Site Admin

:tissue: :sorrow:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:21 am 
Global Moderator

I can't watch. Thanks for the JC and Union coverage.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:33 am 
Site Admin

I couldn't watch either, beth..

I think both parents knew something was wrong yesterday..both just staring at it. At one point yesterday, Dad stared at it for what seemed like forever. Not until it moved, did he approach it and attempt to brood it. Even the 6/6 feed I watched late in the day made me scratch my head. Was it blind? deaf? just so sad..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:19 am 

:sorrow: OMG....this is so sad. The video shows a wound or growth behind the L wing. I wonder if it was the same thing that got the 1st chick? Dad wasted no time removing it as it was dying. I don't think it would have survived much longer. The chick was able to right itself when knocked over and fed OK last week. However, SGB noticed the other day that it took a bit longer for this chick to respond to feeds. Something was brewing and yesterday's behavior was certainly a new development. Maybe an infection or parasite? If a parasite infected the brain (bacteria or protozoa), then the neurological issues would become evident. Could be the same thing that got the other chick, which was younger and more susceptible. I'm certainly guessing here, but this is such a tragedy for this nest on top of all the tragedy that preceded it. Sympathies to all watching this site.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:29 am 
Site Admin

I saw that "wound", Nadia..and couldn't decide if it was dropped food (it wasn't there yesterday)..and then I started thinking blowfly...probably because I had just read an article about a baby owl that had been rescued with a head wound as a result of the botfly larvae emerging (gross~it will be ok..but the damage was extreme and down to the skull)

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I wish I had attempted to contact someone yesterday or even 6/7 (that feed was too strange for me)...but, I didn't.

Sadly, we will probably never know..unless the biologist decides to go up there in the hopes of finding it on one of the ledges somewhere..that's what I would do (not that they are asking me). I don't know how hard it is to get up there, but I know there is a door behind the igloo..early in the season,I watched workers going in and out and wondering what the heck they were doing..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:31 am 

Nadia wrote:
:sorrow: OMG....this is so sad. The video shows a wound or growth behind the L wing. I wonder if it was the same thing that got the 1st chick? Dad wasted no time removing it as it was dying. I don't think it would have survived much longer. The chick was able to right itself when knocked over and fed OK last week. However, SGB noticed the other day that it took a bit longer for this chick to respond to feeds. Something was brewing and yesterday's behavior was certainly a new development. Maybe an infection or parasite? If a parasite infected the brain (bacteria or protozoa), then the neurological issues would become evident. Could be the same thing that got the other chick, which was younger and more susceptible. I'm certainly guessing here, but this is such a tragedy for this nest on top of all the tragedy that preceded it. Sympathies to all watching this site.

I watched the male picking at that area of the chick where the wound was before he tried to remove it the first time. That's the area he would keep picking it up...behind it's wing area.
:cryinggirl:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:37 am 
Global Moderator

:tissue:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:44 am 

I don't know what to say....
:tissue: :sorrow: :tantrum2:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:50 am 
Site Admin

there are no words...just so, so sad..

I just opened the cam and the eggs are gone and no parent on cam.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:52 am 

:tissue: :sorrow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

I am sure they will give us an update when they can. I can only assume (probably wrong) that the biologist was there and removed the eggs...I know its too late, but I hope they can find the baby and maybe figure out what happened.

Through our human eyes, the baby really appeared to be suffering. Did Dad know that as well and that's why he made the decision to remove it? I'd like to think he realized he couldn't help his baby any more and chose to do what he did.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:24 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
Hindsight is always 20/20, but I wish I had attempted to contact someone yesterday or even 6/7 (that feed was too strange for me)...but, I didn't.

Don't blame yourself. You did the best you could. The changes were subtle and we're not watching continuously. I doubt they would have sent someone to the nest based on the feeding issue of 6/7. The chick ate well that evening. Yesterday afternoon, the behavior was odd, but seemed OK later on. Again, I doubt they would have sent someone up to the nest late in the day yesterday. They claim it's dangerous to go up there. By this morning, I think things were too far gone to salvage the chick. If this were poisoning, I would think one or both of the parents would also be affected. If it's an infection, it was quite fulminant. Both chicks were gone within about 48 hrs of a feeding issue. Poor Dad. He has been through so much this year and dedicated so much of his time to these eggs.
:tissue:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:59 pm 

Jersey

Earlier this morning and before all the heartbreak at Union I came to post about the male at Jersey trying to feed the chick a whole bird, which looked to be a sparrow. The male finally ripped off small pieces for the chick. :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Great pics, Carolyn!! (I have a vid I'll post later)

Union...mom just visited the box for a few minutes...did some preening, then left. Pics later..I need to run errands.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

June 9 from Union County

It has certainly been a difficult season for the falcons at the Union County nest. We’re sad to report that the last remaining chick from the Union County nest died earlier today. Although a NJDEP biologist was on her way to retrieve the sick chick in hopes of removing it and transporting it to a rehab facility, the eyas did die prior to her arrival. The remains of the eyas have been removed and will be tested. We hope to determine what went wrong with this chick, which may also shed light on why the other eyas died earlier in the week and was removed by the resident male.

...and this bit was added on their Facebook page: Thank you to all who have tuned in with us over the past few months. This has been a difficult season for these falcons, but to have them nesting on the Union County Courthouse at all is a testament to the resilience of this species and the importance of our work to protect them.

Does this mean they actually found the baby (I hope) or did they mean to say "eggs"..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:30 pm 

Union

She mistook the male for Cadence in her post about the removal of the chick

From the chat
Betty Ann Kelly · Stockton University
Good afternoon. To recap: This morning, the remaining chick was observed lying on it's back with feet up in the air, attempting, but not succeeding at picking it's head and appeared very lethargic. At one point, the adult female, 91/BA, picked up the eyas by the wing, carried it outside the nestbox and dropped it off the building. The eyas was recovered but dead and was taken by courier to a rehab facility in Mercer County where they will do a necropsy to try and determine the cause of death. Additionally, the eggs were taken by the NJ DEP Wildlife Biologist, Kathy Clark for the purposes of examination and determining possible cause of hatching failure. Needless to say both adults, male & female were none too happy with this exercise and circled the courthouse occassionally dive bombing us. When we left the pair, they were still on the rooftop.

Some of you have asked if it is possible that the birds will try again and produce another brood. That is highly unlikely and even if it did happen, it is too late in the season for it to be a successful endeavor.

We know that all of this has been very disturbing to our viewers but we ask that you keep in mind that we are only observers with a unique opportunity through our falcon cams to gain a glimpse into both the hard-to-watch parts of nature and the exciting and fun stuff too. Let's hope for a better breeding and nesting season next year. Thank you all for watching and recording your observations. -BAK

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:34 pm 

Nadia wrote:

This is horrifying! I'm glad I missed it. That poor baby!

It looked to me like there were injuries on both shoulders, maybe from the parents grabbing those areas to move the chick? In one video it looked like the skin was torn, exposing the muscle underneath.

I hope they at least try to find the body and have a necropsy done to find out what happened so hopefully it can be prevented from happening again.

Skygirlblue - I just saw your post above. I hope that means they did find it! They need to find out if this was due to an infection, parasites, or a toxin.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:06 pm 

Union County

:eggthumb: So glad they were able to recover the body. Hopefully, this will give us some insight into what went so very wrong here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

I am closing out this thread for 2 reasons:

1. We are up to 29 pages (which technically exceeds our Forum parameters) and the thread is not always loading properly. (at least its not for me)
2. To help us move forward. This is not to forget, minimize, or discourage continued discussion about what has transpired at Union. If there has been one nest that has encompassed every range of emotion, it has been this one. I know our discussions will continue, am hopeful that NJ will be able to unravel this event and provide information, and hopefully, we'll continue to have sightings of Cadence and Dad...at least I hope so..

Link to next thread:

viewtopic.php?f=323&t=2299

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29