Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: CATHEDRAL OF LEARNING-JANUARY 1-APRIL 30, 2017
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:10 pm 

I figure to start watching for hatch around april22

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:54 am 

carly wrote:
New blog from Kate and a warning if you want to watch hatching here (important to read for new viewers)

Caution! Don’t watch the eggs hatch at the Cathedral of Learning if it upsets you to see a mother kill her young. Again, we don’t know if Hope will do this, but she might.

http://www.birdsoutsidemywindow.org/2017/04/20/meanwhile-a-caution-across-town/?platform=hootsuite

Thank you, Carly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:54 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:53 pm 

carly wrote:
New blog from Kate and a warning if you want to watch hatching here (important to read for new viewers)

Caution! Don’t watch the eggs hatch at the Cathedral of Learning if it upsets you to see a mother kill her young. Again, we don’t know if Hope will do this, but she might.

http://www.birdsoutsidemywindow.org/2017/04/20/meanwhile-a-caution-across-town/?platform=hootsuite

I am very disappointed with this post.
no one really knows what happened last year. what you think you see may not be as it seems . I discussed this with our biologist and he said that when eggs go beyond incubation time, and 3 of those eggs did last year, there is a very high mortality rate in chicks. The reason being that they do not have very much nutrition. they have been depleted during this long period of time. We have seen successes such as Gulf that year, but the risks of mortality at hatching and a few days later are high.

I always felt one was stuck to shell and she was trying got help it out. the one that survived and later died, was weak form the start,

but I od not use this forum to argue points.

she did not have much support last year., form TErzo

what you think you saw last year happens more than what you know.

to label any falcon as good or bad is ludicrous at best of times. People have assumed things about this poor falcon from the start. assumptions that should not have been made. There was never a cam on her till last year.

sometimes in nature there are reasons for what our feathered friends do. We do not know them.

I could go on but I will not.

just so disappointed :girlsad3:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:03 pm 

not going to get into it here, but as we have always been told, if you cannot handle it turn off the cam.

kids could be watching any nature cam and the unexpected could happen. I guess as an educator myself, I would handle things differently. and I have had cams up in my classroom.

poor HOpe

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:29 pm 

Hope is quiet on the eggs and I don't hear chirping from the eggs, so I don't think anything is going on just yet. Terzo is perched out of view, but very close as I hear him every now and then.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:52 am 

Somethings going underneath Hope. She's checking the eggs--maybe she can hear them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:31 pm 

April 23, 2017 shepnotes
Hope is spinning like a top with her eggs - round n round n round ... nn ...

carly wrote:

Thanks Carly
I am sad its necessary - but ..
I'll post on RRP too

:buzzybee:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:11 pm 

Terzo has been on the eggs for quite a while now and he is restless. I have a feeling he may feel something. He keeps looking down, shifting, and pebble picking. I don't see any pips and the sound on this cam has background static and noise. So, hard to tell if there are chirps, but he might feel tapping.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

carly wrote:

I too am extremely disappointed by the wording on this post!! I can understand (and appreciate) posting a carefully worded warning based on last year's tragedies...but to brand and doom Hope before the first egg hatches is totally unfair. We may see a repeat of last year and we may not. We're already nervous as it is, but the harshness of that wording, in my humble opinion, was uncalled for and is certainly not helping our nerves.

If the majority of BCAW viewers are convinced that Hope is going to kill her children, then I will close this thread..no sense keeping it open...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:28 pm 

sky, PLEASE DONT close the thread.
Whatever comes needs recording.
No one is 'convinced' of anythng.
Different word than - caution :egg7:

I am a blunt person so that doesnt bother me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:31 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
carly wrote:

I too am extremely disappointed by the wording on this post!! I can understand (and appreciate) posting a carefully worded warning based on last year's tragedies...but to brand and doom Hope before the first egg hatches is totally unfair. We may see a repeat of last year and we may not. We're already nervous as it is, but the harshness of that wording, in my humble opinion, was uncalled for.

If the majority of viewers are convinced that Hope is going to kill her children, then I will close this thread..period!!

and I think I stated the same feeling as you SGb.

this is why I do nto post here much. But I really like HOPe , and have been keeping track of them

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, I will close the thread if we, as viewers, cannot handle whatever comes, in a non-hateful way. Last year I had to stop visiting this thread because of some of the abusive and personally insulting comments. Hopefully, that will not happen again, but if it does, I will close this thread.

I am hoping for a positive outcome here, but if not, we all need to be on our best behavior..Normally I try to stay away from censorship as much as possible, but as "The Peregrine Chick" makes perfectly clear on her forum, "this is my sandbox"...and if we can't behave, the sandbox will be closed. Sorry to sound so mean, but last year's comments just blew me away...and I let them go and probably shouldn't have.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

Shepherd wrote:
sky, PLEASE DONT close the thread.
Whatever comes needs recording.
No one is 'convinced' of anythng.
Different word than - caution :egg7:

I am a blunt person so that doesnt bother me.

I agree that documentation is extremely important, especially if unusual things are happening with a nest!! Documentation went out the window last year with this nest...Emotions ran high, which was understandable, but personal insults? Not helpful or appropriate.

Nothing wrong with being blunt, but sometimes is not appropriate for a public blog. The same message could have been conveyed, but in a different way..

I know I'm going over board, but what if I had put to the right of the banner instead of "Peregrine Falcons, etc, I put "where eggs get crushed, storms kill babies, siblings eat siblings, parents feed kids to others, babies suffocate in egg, death and mayhem in the nest, etc."...yikes, I'd never watch.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:30 pm 

:15heartbeat:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:04 am 

Got my headphones on this morning and can hear chick...

She's doing a little shimmy on the eggs - not much, but as if something is going on under her. Her feathers are up/out. I call this venting - basically when the eggs are "fully cooked" and ready for hatch

:egg19:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:20 am 

skygirlblue wrote:
I know I'm going over board, but what if I had put to the right of the banner instead of "Peregrine Falcons, etc, I put "where eggs get crushed, storms kill babies, siblings eat siblings, parents feed kids to others, babies suffocate in egg, death and mayhem in the nest, etc."...yikes, I'd never watch.[/b]

Sorry, but this made me laugh :teehee: You might attract a totally new audience though .... :egg7:

I have learned to be more "distant" to happenings at all the nests I watch. We humans can not and must not forget that life isn't a "Disney movie", not a fairy tale where they all live happily ever after.
What happened last year here was unusual, surprising, maybe even shocking, but we MUST assume the falcons know what they are doing. I firmly believe something triggered Hope's action with that chick. This year may be completely different as both she and Terzo are well established residents now.
And even if she were to eat one of her chicks again, we have to assume that she does what SHE thinks is right. For all we know she may be able to detect birth defects right away, and by killing and eating it she prevents a waste of resources, which is extremely important to wildlife.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:04 am 
Site Admin

:laugh You got that right, DEF....and thanks for your perspective....are you sure these nests aren't associated with Disney?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:43 pm 

12:40ish - Did not see Terzo, but heard him come in for an exchange. Hope is on eggs and would not leave.

And Kate tweeted out about 4 hours ago:

"A pip in a peregrine eggs at Pitt. (Caution about watching! Female killed 2 young at hatching last year)"

I wanted to say, last year, when a pip started, I think she helped it along by removing shell (which we know can be dangerous for the hatchling). If we've got a good sized pip and I can definitely hear the chick when she re-positions, I think that's a good sign.

1PM ET: Hope chupping - very alert, looking up. Sometimes, I can't tell with the feedback on this cam if there is a 2nd up there, or if I'm hearing a scratchy echo. Regardless, she's watching something.

1:04 - Terzo enters nest for exchange/look but she's holding tight to eggs. He's in the far right corner waiting for her to move... :biggrin: Off he goes... no exchange.

And now, I have to run errands and will be away from cam... Darn!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

Kate is reporting that an egg has pipped!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 27  Next