Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New update March 7th 2014
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:35 am 

We Energies Raptors

FRIDAY, MARCH 7, 2014

Peregrine falcons return to 3 locations so far

Henry Gutmann and Jon Schoenike
with new nest boxes they built
at We Energies workshop.
After our harsh winter, seeing peregrines back at their nest boxes is a welcome sight. As you’ll note in the following comments, adult pairs of peregrines are present at three or more nest sites. Activity should begin soon at additional sites.

New nest boxes

You’ll also note that over the winter, new nest boxes have been constructed to replace aging boxes at the Valley and Port Washington sites. Thanks to Henry Gutmann and Jon Schoenike for their super carpentry skills with the new nest boxes and Pete Dickinson for getting the webcams set for the nesting season.

Pleasant Prairie Power Plant

The tawny-colored, unbanded
adult female on Jan. 15.

Peregrines have been present all winter with a banded adult male and an unbanded adult female with a prominent tawny colored breast and nape. Last winter, a different female was at this nest site, but she was displaced when Thilmany (b/g) N/44 returned on Feb. 24. Thilmany has nested at this site for the past five years but doesn’t appear to overwinter, so in her absence, other female peregrines have spent time here during the winter.

After the battle in the nest box last year, it will be interesting to see what female ends up nesting here this year. Although Thilmany has been a very successful breeder, this new unbanded adult female seems to be in control of things for now.

The first egg was laid was here on March 28 last year.

Oak Creek Power Plant
(I got 2 pictures here that Greg must not have seen Feb, 19th & March 6th)

During the early winter, I saw the adult male at this site perched at the entrance to the old nest box on the north plant. This box has been closed off, and the webcam was moved to the new nest box inside the chimney where peregrines successfully nested last year. Though early in the nesting season, I have not yet seen any sign of activity at the new nest box. I make an effort to clean the artificial turf-covered nest box decks each fall so if a falcon starts spending time there, I will begin to notice small bits of white down stuck on the deck that result from the falcon's preening. So far, I’ve not seen any down on the deck nor have I seen any falcons from the webcam.

The first egg was laid was here on March 26 last year.

Valley Power Plant
The adult pair of peregrines
displaying in their nest box on March 3.

Peregrines have been present all winter here. A new nest box has been built and will be installed after the nesting season. A new PTZ webcam also will be installed, which will allow us to ID the adults by reading their bands. For now, the old webcam is still working and should get us through the nesting season so we can document egg-laying and hatching.

The first egg was laid here on March 16 last year.

Milwaukee County Power Plant

Webcam image from Dec. 26, 2013.
After a snowfall on Dec. 26, 2013, peregrine tracks were visible from one end of the deck to the other, and everything was looking like the adult pair had settled in for the winter. However, on Feb. 27, I received word that the female that nested here last year (b/r) 47/X was found injured. A radiograph showed a broken coracoid so this falcon likely will not be released.

Last year was the first successful nesting at this site, and we were hopeful for a repeat performance this spring. But with the loss of 47/X, its anyone’s guess what will happen here this year.

The first egg was laid here on April 16 last year.

Port Washington Generating Station
Webcam image from March 3.

Peregrines overwintered at this site, too, and have been seen on the webcam from time to time. A new nest box has been built for this site and will be installed after the nesting season. Although in prior years she spent her winters in Milwaukee, Indy Froona (b/g) *V/*Y, the female that has nested here since 2011, appears to have stayed in Port Washington this year. I identified her via the webcam on Jan. 29.

The first egg was laid here on March 19 last year.

Presque Isle Power Plant, Marquette, Mich.

Webcam image from Feb. 22.
With the cold winter, I wasn’t surprised that I didn’t spot a peregrine in the nest box here until Feb. 22. Last year, the first sighting was on Feb. 12. Scot Stewart reported an observer witnessing an eagle attack a long-tailed duck near the plant on Feb. 23 only to be driven off by a peregrine!

The first egg was laid here on April 10 last year.

Profile E-mail