Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: GENESEE, ALBERTA, 2018-2019
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:23 am 

july8
sorry I have not been able to keep up . Emyrauld and I usually do lots of vidoes but too much to monitor this year. it has been a year of turmoil at a lot of our sites.

I will post some photos and watch our MOtley Crew grow and grow
part1
july1
a peaceful moment
july2
male on outside, where he usually handed prey in from , or quickly dropped
brave mom. making sure they all eat
trying to climb over to get in on feed
july3
mantling prey after a drop
july4
following mom or dad
look at sizedifference

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:33 am 

part2
july4
little angels :5val:
how would like to met this group in a back alley
you talking to me
july5
put your left foot out
drop it here guys
big and small o f it
july6
nice wings
male delivers
july6
like thi s mom ?
july7
now I lay me down to sleep
july8

I have other key moments adn videos that will be posted later. some of which emyrauld shared with me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:49 am 

So 2 have left the nest box now? I didn't think they were ready yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:39 pm 

I was hoping they would stay a bit longer. hope these two stay longer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:29 pm 

GENESEE, ALBERTA,

:1val:
:sum9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyU1F2a5bys

https://youtu.be/VKm0-SY5fh8

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:02 am 

thanks tiga8
july10

so anyone watching will see 2 in box tonight. the largest female who has not flown yet. went onto platform this morning. later the young male , who flew 2 days ago, joined her. late this afternoon , the young male made it back to box and then a few hours later the female , heartstoppingly, made it also to box again.

I will try and post videos an pictures tomorrow sometime( we are doing watch at U of A as well) , that emyrauld and I have done .

But I will tell you that 2 females have been recovered from the ground, this morning.one that went off tow day sago adn one that went off early morning today. . . they were examined by a rehabber, that we called, and she went out there. We made the call to bring them both to rehab. One is in good condition and the others pectoral muscles are not developed enough,. We were on the phone with our provincial biologist and rehabber and knew it was risky to put one back up. The reason being is , that we had two on the platform. Opening the door , would spook the other 2 and we could not risk that.

sometimes things just do not go as we would like, but on the other hand we have 2 females, that will most likely go out to Pembina.
I am hoping these two remaining juveniles do well

We usually have almost 100% success out here, but we have never had 3 female s before. Lots of variables involved . Peter and I have always enjoyed watching these youngsters fly all around the area.
We will be back out there as soon as we can.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:45 pm 

will update in a few days. But Peter and I went there on july16 and saw our young male and young female. They are doing well. she was don g well for her young age.

hopefully with all this wind and rain last few days, they are still well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:51 am 

genesee report of fledging and there after till present

Part One

july5

a cute video of one catching a ride on others back in box
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6vpZcuC5w8
july6
a reminder of the kids

july8

last time all 4 together

a drop was made ( compliments of emyrauld)

unusually the kids go and flap on rail and then to platform behind box, but these kids wee not doing that.
so needless to say , when first female left we were not prepared

she just lept( 12:48pm july8)(K/20)

video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2IHgLZoTko

I contacted George and he found her on a building close by. for now she was
o.k.

then male decided to take a leap of faith and flew straight out at 2:05pm
vidoe( B/62)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTRZuvT1vEQ

i contacted George andhe located him, he was in good spot

hope the others stay put now

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:06 am 

july9 and now we have 2
Part two

adult on platform

a nice video of two kids, and an adult landing on roof and then going on platform

vidoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dwh5zNTls0

lots of food drops and feedings

adult feeds one from rail (compiments of emyrauld)

[b]july10 a day of unexpected events[/b]

5:35am
- one left but as it jumped out , hit rail with its feet and went right. I let George know as soon as I knew he would be at work

video of youngster leaving( courtesy of Emyrauld

- K03 went to catwalk at 6:14. nail biter a s I was not sure what she was going to do. ( we know it is K03 as K20 and K47 were picked up from ground)

video of K03 going to platform( courtesy of Emyrauld)video says K20 but we know now it was K03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuRCOeH ... e=youtu.be

I got a call from George that he had a bird down and he captured it. long story short, I contacted our rehab lady and she went out to examine the juvenile. It was K20. she was fine, but then George said he had seen another down, but he thought it was o,k. not being sure , it was decided that they go and check and see if it was still there. sure enough , it was , It was K47. she was checked and her pectoral muscles were not developed enough, We were on the phone with our provincial biologist and rehabber and knew it was risky to put one back up. The reason being is , that we had two on the platform. Opening the door , would spook the other 2 and we could not risk that. ( so two go back to Edmonton , and Doctor Court would pick them up as soon as K47 was ready and healthy. . They would go to hack site.
( until I got bands from George , I did not know if male or female down)

- adult male was in box eating scraps at 6:49am and K03 sees male on rail. male leaves and comes back with prey , but not sure how to give youngster , so he finally gives it to her on platform.

12:44pm- young male flies past and then lands on roof.

here is video of that ( emyrauld)

https://youtu.be/5vVUcSX0ssE

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:43 pm 

Part Three

july10
young male on roof
1:50pm
both K03 and B62 in view. both have their own prey.
picture from Emyrauld

here is a video of both on platformthanks Emyrauld, ( we were working fledge watch at U of A also so Emmy kindly did up videos for me

https://youtu.be/x4lwM57h85A

3:26pm - youngster tires to fly up to roof and misses
vidoe
https://youtu.be/i6EmFHp6DqA

4:04pm- adult male to rail with food , 2 kids flapping , run up to box, but only young male can scurry up and grab prey and go into box. He gets two feeds as male cannot figure out how to get young female up

vidoe

https://youtu.be/vuMNjiwU-I0

young female K03 returns to box( courtesy of emyrauld)

after a long and exciting day, K03 and B62 snuggle up for the night

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:43 pm 

PART FOUR

july11

we start th e day with B62(male) and K03(female) K20 and K47 were rescued yesterday and are resting up and then Dr. court will take them to hack , when time.

young female on rail and male in box
young male flies out( he can obviously fly. )

K03 goes over to left side pole at 7:21.
I see her and then poof, I think she went off backwards

*****Get a call from George at 8:39am - they have K03 . we were going to arrange for Peter to come out and pick her up and take her in to be examined, but on talking with Dr. Court, it was felt , sh e was not hurt, had lots of practice flapping on platform the day before, and so she was put back on a higher roof next to box, stack. :15heartbeat:
8:13am- hear a kid close by, YUP , tries to land on box roof but misses.

video
( 26 second mark , kid hits roof, you really have to watch)by Emyrauld
https://youtu.be/WJzjBG-_fgw

he is o.k. , male left and back with prey . kid did not try and grab, maybe still a bi t stunned after crash. mal leaves with it
10:17aam- B62(male) on Right platform, flies u p to roof and then to left on chicken wire.

video ( emyrauld)

https://youtu.be/m88FTi9Duyw

can hear sounds like someone getting fed

11:01am- see youngster on platform again and up to roof again
video ( emyrauld)
https://youtu.be/wWocISMP8-I

and now it starts.
we know mal e is flying high, bu t have to check female. I always hate an empty box

july12
a youngster is on platform next to box. could be young female as she was on roof of building nest to box. not sure

july16

Peter and I drove out and stayed for 6 hours. We have to watch from quite a distance and luckily w e have a scope. We saw flying and tagging, bu t I have to see 2 youngsters together for sure. the tagging could be an adult and a kid. so I followed on e all afternoon. it ended up on wire on nest box stack on opposite for afternoon . I had a suspicion one was way across the yard amonst some cylinders, but could not see it.
finally we were rewarded. I pointed scope in direction of the cylinders as I thought I saw something fly up. Sure enough , there was one youngster. and then a bit later , a bird flew over from the north, not far away. Voila, saw them both in scope. they beaked and flapped and catwalked. that the female was way across from where she was placed , left no doubt in our minds that they were flying well. I could write a long report here, but suffice to say, we were 100% sure, they were flying well. We saw both adults also. Patience pays off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:50 pm 

Part Five

WE can hear kids in distance form time to time and see adults occasionally. We have severe rain storms and so one always worries that they are doing well.
july13- first time these tow have been caught on camera bonding. ( will explain later()compliments of (emyrauld)

and so for days we see nothing ( which is not unusual )

july20- we see a kid on the platform. do not know how but suspect the young female(10:59am)

3:27pm- adult to front with kid right behind. Kid chased adult out

here is video from emyrauld

https://youtu.be/3plCrBhIIZI

then at 11:52am- both kids back. adult male was in at time.
I love this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSt_8gE ... e=youtu.be

july22- youngster out front

july24

july26
it is rare that the adults get to come to box an d can relax without kids

july27- another bonding session

july27- then in comes kids, on e adult escapes and one still in box

july29- kid lands on box

july29- video ( adults come in and get caught by on e youngster. It is a good video. always enjoy the kids )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_k34M6y_YY&t=35s

so it july30 and we continue to have kids flying around, and adults . We can hear kids more than see them . as of late , I think it i sK03 , coming in but that is normal. I have found from years of watching that the young females stay closer to home.

july30

adult female to box, she scrapes and then enjoys a quiet evening

august 3- can still hear kids and see adults at box

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:30 pm 

[size=150]brief summary of season

[size=150]this should have gone before my 5 part report but have no way to put it in there now. sorry. But please read back. many pictures and videos

It has been a harrowing season this year. We started out with our very dear resident male of many years and M27 .
All was going well and 4 eggs were laid, by April22. . things were going smoothly but we started to notice a lot of falcon traffic, coming into play.
a few young females and a few males.
april 29th we had 3 falcons in view ( a young female, showed up about 4 times M27 was very patient with young females that came through.

WE went out on May 3 to check things out and it was very quiet . it figures, :girlcrazy: nothing while we were there.

May4, we knew there was youngster around and on May5, a young female was chased out
may 7- we saw our 2 adults early and same on May 8, we saw our two early .
That is when things changed

. a youngster came to box and was ignored. our female kept leaving when it came in and we knew something was wrong.
We never saw our dear resident male again. He had been driven out.
but now we have 2 other males vying for this site. another without bands and one one with bands.
From May8 till may13. two males played see- saw and M27 had to be steadfast. She was back and forth. To make matters worse. M27 had to contend with a young female on afternoon of may11.
Where M27 had been tolerant, she was no more, and drove her out. The young female had a black band on left leg and red on right .Dr. Court figured it was captive bred female from last year, that was hacked on Pembina.
By may13 we knew our new male was banded. he appeared quite young.

on May13 we went back out to to watch and see. Of course we did not see the new male all afternoon. I figure he was patrolling, to make sure the other male had gone. He was gone 3 hours. But we watched M27 leave several times and come back each time ,after a few minutes. When male came back, he went to box and She left, then he would leave and she would come back.

at one point M27 went out to stringer and was very upset. She flew out west and male flew to the wire. We watched her , as she chased another falcon out and watched her climb higher and higher and she tapped it a few times and then she came back. The other falcon was about same size as her in air ,so we figured it was maybe the young female,. still hanging around.
but I will say, it got the message this time.

Emyrauld and I knew we would have to keep close watch here.
anyone who has watched a few takeovers knows, that the first while is very erratic. the male is courting and she is trying to keep eggs covered as well as go and hunt.
we kept track of how long she was gone each time. The male would eventually come and stay a bit and then leave. He did bring in some prey offerings.
may22- we had another intruder ( unbanded ) , but after few hours, things appeared to be fine.
a lot of times , male would just sit outside on rail when Female was in.
on may22, male appeared to be more interested in eggs. and he had been bringing prey to box. so we knew he could hunt
May23- male did a few minutes of incubating. and from here on, we knew he was learning and doing well. He turned eggs , would incubate for longer periods , each time.
may25- was day 35 of incubation , but I knew we would have a late hatch, as we had female off eggs for a few long periods after we lost resident male. I have seen this several times( U of A , the year Chase came in) , and this year I had followed 2 in the USA.
our new male continues to bring in prey and incubate.
may28- day 38 we have 3 hatches ( male brought prey in , just before hatch) . may29- hatch 4

the rest of the season was a learning process for the male and learn he did. We could see him watch the female feed , and when she brought in a bigger prey, next time he would. We watched each feed carefully, as nest was stressed enough, from takeover.
but this new male proved himself. He did what was expected of him this year. Hunt , a bit of incubating and even fed a few times. and after banding, he did a lot of prey drops.

While we lost a great male, I think this new male will be good. We almost have his full band. hopefully we can get it all.
I think one of the reasons , our fledge did not go a good as usual was , this was a new male, and the two adults were not in sync. The other male may have encouraged kids to go on platform. When one of the pair changes, all things change.
I am grateful that things turned out as well as they did. We have 2 juvenile females at Pembina , which Peter and I will go and watch fly this week. and we will make another trip to Genesee. . last time we were here , we saw our young male and female flying well

Please go back and look at my videos and pictures and you will see our two here , doing well

[/size][/size]

this slideshow goes with this report

https://video214.com/play/I30sEpdKFeFkD1WIrhF89Q/s/dark put full screen

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:18 pm 

august 11

we were out at Genesee for 3.5 hours yesterday and a show was put on for us. they are flying so well and they were tagging and playing. I believe it was adult male that joined in after a bit. We could never see 4 at a time but we know from the cam ( when I looked at my tape when i got home) that 2 adults were around. We have to watch from such a far off distance that it is hard to see which adult it is, when they are stationary . But we did see 2 kids playing for sure. they can cover such a long distance now. .

will post my tiny pictures when I download camera.

here is a video from Thursday, of the 2 kids coming in after chasing off adult. this is a dangerous time for the adults

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12clxMmFtJw&t=5s

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:29 am 

Sad to say the cam has gone down for the year - - at least that is what I suppose has happened now that it says it is private. Bev has continued to monitor as well has visit the site. The two remaining juveniles have thrived. Today before the cam went off to me I saw the two adults hop in the box for a 2 second bonding. Before that one a juvie hopped onto the rail before jumping up to the cam and out of view.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10