Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: NETHERLANDS CULTURE & FAQ'S
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:51 am 

How interesting all this info is! Thank you ladies, for the questions, answers & comments. I am very interested in various cultures, so this is just fascinating for me! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:32 am 
Global Moderator

marjanne wrote:
At least 90% of the Dutch men watching soccer. Many of them play themselves.
(which means that many women also háve to watch or they can go to a Tupperware party Image)
Six out of ten people sports
I think, second sport is cycling and the third tennis or skating:roll:

I love to watch cycling and I did gymnastics until 4 years ago. With a frozen shoulder I had to stop.

I had to laugh about your soccer comment . . . the same is true for about 90% of the American men watching football.
(I won't watch American football, but I do like to watch European soccer when the World Cup is on. )

It's too bad you had to stop gymnastics because of an injury - I always like to watch gymnastics when the Olympics are on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:03 am 

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia:

The All Saints' Flood of 1170 (Allerheiligenvloed) was a catastrophic flood in The Netherlands. Large parts of the Northern Netherlands, and Holland territories were overflowed. This is the flood that made the Zuider Zee. "Lake Flevo" was once a fresh water lake, but after this flood a sea channel opened a connection from the North Sea into the lake through 'Creiler Forest', and turned the lake into the salt-water sea known as the Zuider Zee. The Creiler Forest vanished forever beneath the waves.

Image Creiler Forest around the year 1100. The exact position of the forest is unknown

The sea area increased inside the The Netherlands and large peat areas developed, which were easily washed away.

St. Lucia's flood (Sint-Luciavloed) was a storm tide that affected the Netherlands and Northern Germany on December 14, 1287 (the day after St. Lucia Day) when a dike broke during a storm, killing approximately 50,000 to 80,000 people in the fifth largest flood in recorded history.
Much land was permanently flooded in what is now the Waddenzee and IJsselmeer. It especially affected the north of the Netherlands, particularly Friesland. The city of Griend was almost completely destroyed, only ten houses were left standing. (Griend now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griend )
The name Zuiderzee dates from this event, as the water had merely been a shallow inland lake when the first dikes were being built, but rising North Sea levels created the "Southern Sea" when floods including this flood came in.

Victims

The exact number of casualties is unclear, but some sources mention 30.000 deceased victims between Stavoren and the Lauwers and another 20.000 from the Lauwers to the Eems. Based on these accounts the estimate for the entire region struck by this flood is from 50.000 up to 80.000 casualties. This made the Saint Lucia flood, in relation to the total number of inhabitants of the Netherlands in that period (about 500.000) the largest storm flood of all times ever in the Netherlands. And makes it the 5th largest flood disaster of all times world wide.

* Map of the Netherlands in Roman times:
* Map of Central Europe in 1180 AD (pre flood)
* Map of Central Europe in 1360 AD (post flood)

History of the Netherlands: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Netherlands
On the right there is large list of links to more details about all kinds of things, language, peoples, migration etcetera.

I live in the far North of the country, on the island AMELAND: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameland

Image <--- The yellow marker is on the roof of my house.
Coordinates: 53°26'40.85" North and 5°46'35.97" East (To look it up in Google maps or Google Earth)
After WW II, (which ended a little later here on the island due to the fact that the Canadians didn't have time to come and get he German soldiers. :lol: )
the island's economy started to turn to tourism. Before it was mainly agricultural (dairy) , fishing and sailing. During the 17th and 18th century many men from this island were sailors with the VOC and commanders on the whaling fleet.
The name of the street I live is reminding of those days: "Commandeursstraat" which means "Commanders street". The streets that cross this one have the names of those commanders: "Hans Jochem" "Obbe Edskes"
They earned a lot of money and were able to build good houses, luxurious for that time. Many are still standing and well preserved.
During the summer months there are about 35.000 to 45.000 tourists on the island, in the winter we have the island to ourselves, some 3500 people in all.
I feel very lucky to be able to live in this little paradise. It's a birder's dream, because it is situated on one of the major bird migration routes.
Life is so much more relaxed here, probably because we are separated from the craziness of the mainland by water and always have that 45 minutes on the ferry to get to and from the island.
In Nes, the village I live in, there is a wonderful church, built by Pierre Cuypers who was also the architect of the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:52 pm 

How interesting, DEF! Thanks for posting all that info!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:00 pm 
Global Moderator

Oh my, what a wonderful area to live in...

BCAW trip ....Image

So interesting - Thanks Ingrid!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

Great information, DEF....and now that I know where you live....... :hmmmm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:16 pm 
Global Moderator

Beth wrote:
Oh my, what a wonderful area to live in...

BCAW trip ....Image

So interesting - Thanks Ingrid!

I agree. A road trip (oops, plane ride) to the Netherlands should definitely be on our list of places to visit!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:00 am 

You're all welcome! I have room for four guests . . . :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:14 pm 
Global Moderator

Dutch Eagle Fan wrote:
You're all welcome! I have room for four guests . . . :lol:

LOL. If four of us came at the same time, which one of us would get to sleep with your adorable kitty Freya?

Since I mentioned it first, maybe it could be me? ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:50 pm 
Global Moderator

If there's room on your plane .....Image..... Beth, I'd like to bum a ride.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:30 pm 
Global Moderator

SusanE wrote:
If there's room on your plane .....Image..... Beth, I'd like to bum a ride.

Plenty of room for everyone Susan ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:29 am 
Global Moderator

It is very impressive that most people in the Netherlands speak/write in English (and maybe other languages?). My questions are about the educational system: Is English a required course? At what age is it first offered?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:05 am 

I can only speak for myself, Susan.
I grew up with a Dutch and a heavy Dutch dialect and German.
So my second language is German, we live near the German border. (My German is better then my English :oops: )
English grammar we learned at school when we were 12 years.
Now the (young) children learn much more playful.
And yes, English a required course.

Furthermore, most music is in English and there are many English-language television programs. These programs are all subtitled (not dubbed, don't know dubbed is the right word?) That is mayby why we pick up the language quickly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:38 am 
Global Moderator

Very interesting Marjanne...your English is very good!

I have always love watching gymnastics during the Olympics ;)
Does your shoulder still bother you (?)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:41 am 

marjanne wrote:
<<<SNIP>>>

Furthermore, most music is in English and there are many English-language television programs. These programs are all subtitled (not dubbed, don't know dubbed is the right word?) That is maybe why we pick up the language quickly.

I think you're right, that this is the main reason why we Dutch have less problems with learning foreign languages. We know how those other languages sound, and with the subtitles you learn without even realising it :lol:
I too started learning English when I was twelve, in high school (?) I already could speak and understand ánd write German, because of the fact that here on the island we get many German tourists and it came "naturally" to me.
In school I also studied French and I graduated in all three foreign languages. German and English were compulsory, not sure about French.
These days the children start learning English in Primary school (for 4 up to 12 year old kids) in group 6 (I think) so at the age of ten.
Children have to go to school when they are five, but most start when they are four, the first two years are what you could call "Kindergarten".
Then after they finish this school they can go on to all kinds of education, schools that are training for a job, schools that prepare you for a University study.
    Children living in the Netherlands are obliged to attend school.In general, a child goes to school before the first day of the month following his or her fifth birthday. Some 99 percent starts at age four.

The complete compulsory education lasts until the school year when the youngster is sixteen years (one school year runs from August 1 to July 31). After that the qualification requirement applies. The qualification requirement applies to young people not yet 18 years and still without basic qualification, a diploma from a HAVO, VWO or MBO2 training.
HAVO= Higher General Advanced Education
VWO= Preparation for University Education
MBO= Secondary Work related Education (meaning you get a specific education and training for a certain line of work, i.e. welder or electrical engineer or nurse or construction work)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:57 am 
Global Moderator

That is SO very interesting about how you grow up with those other languages all around you and just "pick it up." It was not until my high school years (age 15-18) that foreign languages were offered, and then the only choice was French or Spanish. I chose French and studied it for 3 years, but without the opportunity to really use it, have forgotten most of it now. :(

Marjanne, you mentioned a "heavy Dutch dialect" and I wonder if that means a slightly different language from Dutch or does it mean Dutch with an accent?

Another question: Can you determine from what area of the Netherlands a person is from by their Dutch accent?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:32 pm 

SusanE wrote:
<<<SNIP>>>

Another question: Can you determine from what area of the Netherlands a person is from by their Dutch accent?

Absolutely! :lol:
You can tell that I grew up in the North of the country, I use a "sharp" s and t.
In Amsterdam the accent is completely different from that of people living in Rotterdam,
the "snobs" that studied in Leiden really stand out with their accent, including our queen . . . :wink:
A person from Limburg speaks with a "soft" G, in contrast to the people from Holland and Friesland, who use the sharp version
(somewhat like scraping your throat, or as if you have something stuck in the back of your mouth and try to get it out ggggg, ggggg gggggggggg :lol: ).
During the second WW this sharp G was a way to tell if somebody was German, pretending to be Dutch and trying to infiltrate the resistance. Passwords always had such a sharp G in it. The ch in "Scheveningen" sounds like a sharp G and was used a lot, or so I have read. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:34 pm 

Marjanne, you mentioned a "heavy Dutch dialect" and I wonder if that means a slightly different language from Dutch or does it mean Dutch with an accent?

No it's not whith an accent, it sounds like an "own" language although it is Dutch.
I speak perfect Dutch, but when I speak my dialect,
a great many of Dutch people can not understand that. (They need subtitles ;) )

Absolutely, but I can not properly understand all their dialects :cry:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:53 pm 
Global Moderator

marjanne and Dutch Eagle Fan :neth :mmd: I LOVE learning these kinds of things! :thankyou for sharing your culture!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:36 am 

Typically Dutch ?

There is not a mill in this village, I do not walk on wooden shoes, I do not wear old costumes (and I know nobody in my area who does) and I like to eat cheese, but prefer the French ;)

Profile E-mail