Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: DE MORTEL - 2018
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:01 pm 

Translated by Google

If you go to the web page you have to scroll to the bottom.

Re: Dagsamenvattingen BDL De Mortel 2018
Message van margootje Today at 22:39

Summary Sunday, March 11 and Monday, March 12, 2018

Yesterday there were many attacks around the tower and V was last seen with M in the closet at ten to seven. Half an hour later, a big falcon was sitting above the cupboard and a little later inside. Was a ringed woman.
V has not been to the cam since then, so that we could certainly say that it was V.
The ringed woman has been seen on cams from this morning on, on the edge and in the closet and on the grid and in the antenna (*). Until we can officially read her rings, she is called GV, which stands for Geringde Vrouw.
This afternoon we searched with cam 3 on the ring of the tower, and there was seen a dead falcon, which was just picked up by VWG and put in the freezer
Furthermore, the attacks of a female falcon on GV all day, until dark gone and we expect tomorrow again, who is the attacker, is unknown
M is okay ', seemed to help with attack this afternoon, is regularly in the closet, was 1x almost from grid ticked by GV end of afternoon, with the other falcon behind her.
At the end of the evening GV came to M in the closet, M shoved away, and GV went to sleep next to the closet and later on the grate and in the closet.

And furthermore, we expect attacks again tomorrow and we wait to see what comes from the autopsy of the dead falcon

http://www.slechtvalkenliefde.com/t1214 ... ortel-2018

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:55 pm 

thanks CArolyn. that is the link I posted . I tired to do what you could but forum would not let me.
what a mess we have.

fingers crossed for all the falcons. they should be able to tell if deceased falcon was egg laden. if not , then not VV. if VM was helping the falcon this afternoon, could it be VV out there attacking. just saying

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:08 pm 

bev. wrote:
thanks CArolyn. that is the link I posted . I tired to do what you could but forum would not let me.
what a mess we have.

fingers crossed for all the falcons. they should be able to tell if deceased falcon was egg laden. if not , then not VV. if VM was helping the falcon this afternoon, could it be VV out there attacking. just saying

Absolutely right Bev. Maybe they came as a pair? I just assumed VV.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:55 pm 

I pray that VV is not dead. I know that something has been wrong but I don't want VV to be lost. It is too hard.
:cryinggirl:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:59 pm 

Unfortunately, they do think this is VV

If you open this tab with Google, it should translate for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 am 

I cannot get this in google to translate but I have been asking a lot of questions. Was this falcon found at back of tower or front. Is this falcon egg laden, someone showed video of an attack early morning that could have killed a falcon butVV was seen this afternoon before fierce attacks took place again.

If this is not VV as they say there were 4 falcons and one is still attakcing one in box, then , being egg laden, she may have decided to go and lay her eggs out of harms way. I know I am holding onto hope but I want to be sure. Females they say??????

And vm was helping one this afternoon . Anyhow, I will wait till I know for sure.
I have been reading a lot on their FB and so I am not certain .

Does this make sense.

I need to get some sleep and clear my head.

This is a mess here, regardless

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:46 am 

Here's the translation:

Fight settled?
Martin Vink, Vogelwerkgroep Gemert | Monday, March 12, 2018 Like | Keep this blog | 8x

In the past two days, an invasion of strange falcons around the De Mortel tower has been observed. These intruders try to dislodge or even kill the current male and female. What has happened so far?

Vwg Gemert
The current female V and the male M are already well advanced in the court, many copulations have been observed and the female is almost ready to hit the egg tray. She was more and more often seen in the nest box for a longer period of time.
However, on Sunday 11 March, several peregrine falcons appeared on the battlefield and late in the afternoon Karin Groen-Dam filmed an attack / battle between two peregrine falcons. For the images, see this link: https://youtu.be/oPX60CMYarM

As can be seen on these images, both peregrine falcons caught together at the back of the tower fall down.
From this moment on, the current female V, as far as my information stretches, is no longer observed in and around the nest box. Given the strength of the attack, it is plausible that the attacked peregrine falcon was almost immediately killed by the intruder. Peregrine falcons are real insects, they surprise their prey by attacking them with great force. During the impact, there is so much energy transfer that breaks the spine and the prey becomes defenseless.
They often attacked by biting the prey / competitor in the neck, causing the neck vertebrae to break and death to occur.

But was the attacked peregrine falcon the current female V?
Today a strange ringed female was seen several times in and around the nest box. This female has a silver-gray leg ring and a colored orange leg ring with possibly the combination YC.
Orange leg rings have been used for Dutch birds until 2014. From 2014 we use gray with three letter combinations. For the roof camera the ring code YC was clearly visible with some certainty. With this shot we also looked from above on the fourth ring for a dead / wounded peregrine falcon. What we already expect, we found a dead peregrine falcon. After zooming in the falcon appeared to have no rings, could it be the current female V?

In order not to disturb the falcons, tonight, I carefully stepped up the fourth ring after 20:00 and removed the dead falcon. The female falcon encountered had a lot of injuries in her neck indicating the completion of the lethal attack by the intruder. My suspicions that this is the current female V, I can confirm with some certainty despite the injuries and affected plumage.
Given the position of the attack and the location, it is plausible that the attacked falcon in the film is the same falcon.

What now?
As in previous territory battles in the breeding season have shown, there is still a small chance that a brood can still be raised. The male M will then have to enter into a pair bond with a new female, or in view of the number of peregrine falcons around the tower and the associated disruptions is still possible in the coming weeks. It is even possible that the current male M himself will also be chased / killed because a strangely unguarded male has also been observed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:01 am 

oh i had read that . thanks mwplay.

they say the attack was on march11 an d yet reports were VV was seen march12th.

I think I will just let the dust settle and if VV, my heart will be heavy and I have something written.

I am worried for VM also now. too many falcons around.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 am 
Global Moderator

???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:53 am 

I think that's the new female.

Just watched a clip on the Beleef de Lente site. There's been bonding in the box and mating. He was cliff diving for her.

Most certainly he knows VV is gone and hormones/survival make him focus on new mate.

:15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 am 

some notes form march14 their time

have not seen mating, saw quick bonding at nestbox and VM stayed in box for a bit. saw feedin g on top of tower roof, but F is under attack all day. kept ,y cams up. she is on antennae right now and constant flying around her and at her . Well 2 females . now one after the other an d came back to aerial and out again. it is 15:15pm there an d this has gone on since early morning.

Now I fear for her. cannot watch this sort of thing but taping so I can see what is what. what a mess things are

15:28pm
attacks still going on . one has landed on roof. of tower

15:56pm - VM had been sitting on roof of tower and is now on grate. the flying was getting more intense and falcons closer together. they try and follow them on cam. I pray for this orange girl now as we have seen her, but I pray for all to be O.K. one life is enough

16:42pm- orange tape was just on grate ,( VM flew out a bit ago), but she flew off as attacks coming at her. now I cannot watch, sh e is on side of top roof of tower and getting flown at.

at one point ( about a half hour ago)she was roof of tower, went behind blue fencing to get some water and then sat within blue gate at back for a bit. to gain her steam I guess)

16:49:47
she has flown off tower. my , oh my. I think it i s her on top right front of tower now.
I know some will tape and take pictures. I just want this over, please. will check in later. :cryinggirl:

17:08pm - still on top right of tower. hop e it is her.

17:28pm -they zoomed in and I think this is is her

17:36pm - and it starts again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:39 am 

I am heart broken, if it is VV and it probably is. I always try not to wear my heart on my sleeve. I have watched this site since just before S2 came on the scene.(2007).
VV was an exceptional female. The ones who reign here are. The year pa disappeared, she practically did things on her own, from when pa disappeared. She left the eggs just long enough to hunt. And what hunting she did. Remember the colorful pigeons( we were worried as to where she found them and a lot had bands))

(there were 2 males vying for pa's spot so VV was left to brood eggs and feed herself. this lasted for almost 2 weeks.one of the young males was an offspring of 2OR ) Enter Vm and she taught him all she knew. He would watch her feed the young ones and she would give him a few bites also. She was teaching him how to feed, as Pa taught her. She taught him many things. Some thought he was takin from her but he was in courtship.
I documented that season well as it was just so heartwarming. All 4 of her chicks survived and they hung around forever. what a treat.

All of VV and Vm chicks have done so well and all hung around forever. They must have loved there home.

So to say I am sad is a no brainer. I am grateful she has been found and she died protecting her turf at her turf. . When egg laden, you are just not as strong as one not egg laden. What a brave, brave VV . she got hit from behind. Did not stand a chance:cryinggirl:

I am grateful for all she has taught me about falcons. I hope VM prevails as they say there was still fighting so maybe a male around also. Or maybe more than 2 females. ( today shows there are)

But all being said, I need some time but I try and pride myself in the bigger picture. This is the life of a falcon. Wish they would read the no room at the inn signs but they do not.

We will soon find out who this is and if VM has prevailed. We will have to turn another page and start a new chapter at the de mortel. We cannot compare as they all have their own endearing ways. And we will soon come to love whoever prevails here.

Fly high VV. fly with Pa and S2 and Ma . You were all greats. I will miss you: 15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:08 pm 

attack

https://youtu.be/ZRyVNNFDWo0

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:12 pm 

been watching gall day ( had recorder on while I slept. but I think it is Vm on roof of tower now as falcon was eating. I think this is Female. it has been intense

I made some notes a few posts back

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:51 pm 

poor Vm. there was a prey transfer.
but just now he came into box an d when she came in , he could not get out of there quick enough.

so at end of day we still have orange female and VM

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:34 pm 

The banded female is 7/C, a granddaughter of Pa and Ma. She hatched in 2014 on a similar communication tower in Ittervoort. Her father is R/4, born in 2006 at De Mortel.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:52 pm 

Wow!

She's probably going to be a strong falcon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:01 pm 

Dutch Eagle Fan wrote:
The banded female is 7/C, a granddaughter of Pa and Ma. She hatched in 2014 on a similar communication tower in Ittervoort. Her father is R/4, born in 2006 at De Mortel.

and we go on when this is all done.

everyone is assuming this banded female took VV to her end but remember there is another very fierce female out there. watched today, but probably no tomorrow

I will try and do a tribute to VV this weekend

I posted some of today in a post , further up

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:39 pm 

bev. wrote:
Dutch Eagle Fan wrote:

and we go on when this is all done.

everyone is assuming this banded female took VV to her end but remember there is another very fierce female out there. watched today, but probably no tomorrow

I will try and do a tribute to VV this weekend

I posted some of today in a post , further up

Bev, what you wrote about VV was beautiful.

With all the turmoil here each year, it's surprising that any young are fledged. This is basically a "survival of the fittest" site. Hard to watch sometimes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:12 pm 

yes, but Vv had almost 6 years . tihs was her 6th, and what chicks she raised . I will keep a lot of her memories in my heart, as she really taught me a lot.

Peter forewarned me. He aid I better be prepared for a tough season. I thought last year was tough :girlcrazy:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next