Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: MISC. GHO ~ 2016-2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 am 

OKCOwlCam | S6 | 1.14.18 | Egg Watch Tonight!

Mr. Tiger continues to be the unsung hero of the show,
as he has already moved into nest-prep once more after a set of non-viable eggs.
This time, he’s suggesting a return to what has proven time
and time again to be a good choice of planter.
Altera should be due any time for another egg-laying event,
and we expect that could start tonight

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:26 am 

OKCOwlCam | S6 | 1.15.18 | Awaiting New Eggs!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:43 pm 
Global Moderator

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:27 pm 

Nadia wrote:
:omg Oh noooooo!! This happened last year and then she had a 2nd clutch. I wonder why she abandoned them??? Sigh.

Feb. 1
Yes Nadia, she did it last year.
But she fledged 2 young.
I remember I nearly cried hearing mr hooting mourning over his 2 lost babies last year.
I cant say he's almost human, we cant do that. Nope. Cant do it. .... but ....

:1snowmancarrot:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:12 pm 

S6 | 2.9.18 | Altera Returns! (2+ Hour Visit)

Altera continues to prove unpredictable,
as she made a lengthy visit to the nest a few nights after having disposed of her previous eggs.
This visited lasted over 2 hours, and included a visit by Mr. T on a nearby ledge.
Alessondra reports she heard lots of hooting during this visit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_69y7sk4pD0

author:OKCOwlCam

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:53 pm 

Mating instinct is strong - and she raised 2 last year.

:scloud:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:01 pm 

Rusty and Iris

It appears that Iris began to lay eggs on Feb 3rd. She had three. With Rusty's declining eyesight and stress experienced last year during the raising of last year's brood, the eggs will not be allowed to hatch and were removed and replaced with fake eggs. Iris is being allowed to incubate to prevent expending energy creating a 2nd clutch, while fulfilling her mothering instinct. Here's a pic from yesterday of Rusty coming over to inspect the eggs. He is so cute how stares down Iris until she gets off the eggs, so he can take a peek.

Yesterday 808pm - Dad checking out the eggs.

Here's a video of Iris laying her 1st egg of this season on Feb 3rd

Courtesy of the International Owl Center.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:09 pm 
Global Moderator

RENO, NEVADA
>on a second-story ledge at the Desert Research Institute's offices in Reno.

I think we have 5 eggs (total)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:16 pm 

2 owls asleep together????

:shamrock1:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:21 pm 
Global Moderator

Yes, shep! One male - 5 eggs with two moms!!
> > kinda like watching the "Yule" log video (posted on chat roll)
birds and eggs :) same as -watching grass grow-!

Really snowing now...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:16 am 

:penguin: So excited to have this nest here!! Thanks, Beth! At about midway on Dvr right now, Dad arrives. This time he gives Mrs. R an odd shaped meal. It is not a rat! Trying to figure it out, but can't.
She was so excited she left with it or maybe she is afraid Mrs. L will take it. Mrs. L looks on. Why does Dad flash his tailfeathers @ intervals, is there a meaning for this? Every time I see him, he does this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:23 am 

March 18, 2018
I saw him too - wish it had sound
When Dad flashs his tail he is hooting.
HU HU HOOOOO!
HU HU HOOOOOOO!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:51 pm 

:sum8: :teehee: Thanks, Shepherd! Read on Reno chat, no sound d/t this is a research lab and they have privacy issues. But, may allow a "spot" microphone. Have to wait and see what unfolds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:12 pm 

:flirty: They have real names apparently, instead of Mrs. R and Mrs. L. Just found this info on chat about Reno:

Jina (R) is on 3 eggs, but 1 is cracked. Sienna (L) is on 2. Arie is the Dad. They said the prey brought in by Dad (that I couldn't identify this morning on the DVR) was a rabbit given to Jina. Jina's 1st egg probably was 2/15 and Sienna 2/28.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:33 pm 

Thanks SWIN - where's info link?
I made an RRP thread over there
https://www.raptorresource.org/forum/in ... pic=2511.0

:newegg: :newegg: :newegg: :newegg: :newegg:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:52 pm 

:penguin: I got my info from their introductory video and chat, Shepherd. I initially found out about this nest from someone on chat @ California Eagles and saw the video. I kept digging and was able to start viewing 2-3 hours after the live stream started. I will find that video and post it here later. I initially posted about the nest @ the other BCAW to bring attention to it and now have brought it here. Meanwhile, I just found this info the Nevada Department of Wildlife have posted under the cam:

Welcome! Thanks for watching our owl nest cam. A big thanks goes out to DRI's IT team. They put a lot of time in getting this camera set up for all of us to view! Below is a recap of what has happened since we started the live stream last week. We've also posted answers to frequently asked questions.

What: Two females (based on size and behavior of incubating and defending nest) on a "man-made" cliff (aka building) nesting next to each other directly on rock substrate.

Who: Left is Sienna she is on 2 eggs, right is Jina she is on 3. A third bird (presumed male due to smaller size and behavior of bringing prey to females) is confirmed - have not seen a fourth at the same time as the other 3. He is Arie. None of them are banded.

Where: Reno, NV

Two or more female Great Horned Owls nesting next to each other is not documented anywhere. We do not know if they are related (that would disturb them a lot to take blood samples) nor do we know if Arie is the father of both clutches. So please watch for a 4th bird!

When:
16 Feb -- Jina was on ledge defending against Ravens. Presume she had eggs then. Normal incubation is 30 to 34/37 days from when egg is laid (so since eggs are laid 1 to 2 days apart, expect hatching to be separated as well).
28 Feb -- 3 eggs under where Jina has been sitting and one egg on other side of rock (at that time we thought Ravens had moved an egg and it ended up there).
5 Mar -- 3 eggs and 2 eggs confirmed and both birds sitting. Sienna is significantly larger than Jina. At this point we were not sure if the unusual situation was a male incubating continuously because Jina almost never left the nest (some documentation of males taking a turn but usually not dedicated to it) or 2 females nesting next to each other. One of the group of 3 has a visible crack in it - it is probably not viable
13 Mar -- confirmed 3rd bird visiting nest in evening - no prey brought but neither of the incubating birds acted defensive
15 Mar -- Live Feed on webcam started. Observers see Arie bring prey to both females.

FAQ:

There is no sound and we are not planning on adding sound.

You can watch hooting (no sound) usually around sunset and around sunrise. This is also when you are more likely to see Arie (3rd bird).

The sprinklers are not functional (were turned off years ago). The “grass” behind them are the remnants of dead weeds or debris blown in with our regular breezes and storms.

At night the camera switches to IR (infrared). That means it uses IR light reflecting off of objects. (It looks black and white). Because there is not much light reflecting off of them, it gets very dark in the middle of the night.

The white thing between the 2 females is a rock on another dark rock.

There is no “dirt” below the rocks – just more rocks.

Typical prey in our area are ground squirrels, lizards, scorpions, other birds, rabbits, hares, moles, voles, marmots (although it is unlikely they could lift the resident one off the ground).

The planter runs the length of the building. The birds do not seem to mind our activities on the ground below them (they do not flush) but they do care about the activity in the office – thus the reason the blinds are closed. (Therefore the worst view is actually through the office just behind the owls.) There will be plenty of room for any owlets to move about.

:1snowmancarrot: I was so glad to find out about the sprinkler head, but felt if they were operational, they would not be turned on this year d/t the extraordinary circumstances of this nest!! :flirty:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:46 pm 

wow swin k thank you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:31 am 

:1snowmancarrot: Earlier tonight, Aries brought Sienna a rabbit that she flew off with to eat. Saw earlier today, the ADMIN said techs are working on cams. I know @ night it gets a little blurry. Tonight on DVR, Jina is nearly blurred out. They seem to be doing well. Don't know about owls. will check on how long it takes for eggs to hatch ...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:50 am 

Source from above says: Normal incubation is 30 to 34/37 days from when egg is laid. Audubon says 28-35. If their assumptions are correct about Jina's 1st egg, this is day 34. We are on hatch watch here. :flirty:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:53 am 

Jina seems to be moving and repositioning more than normal. It started sometime after Sienna's return per the DVR. She left once, but you just can not see anything. And her repositioning steadily increases sometime after her return. Bears watching. Sometimes the wind is blowing her feathers, but not Sienna's. May be the difference in the way they are positioned.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 30  Next