Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: NORFOLK BOTANICAL GARDENS ~ Aug - Dec 2009
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:26 pm 
Global Moderator

PLEASE CONTINUE YOUR POSTS HERE

Post subject: Re: NORFOLK BOTANICAL GARDENS ~ Aug - Dec 2009
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:32 pm 

Azelea is finally moving around. She left the botanical gardens on August 21st and went across the bay. She has been eating and staying near the nest, while her siblings left weeks ago.
Reese's blog: http://eagletrak.blogs.wm.edu/

The latest satellite map through afternoon August 18 shows that Azalea has begun to travel. On Sunday August 16 at 1:00pm she was over the Creeds area of southern Virginia Beach. On Monday August 17 she left NBG about 1:00pm and flew out over Norfolk (Ward’s Corner), turned south and flew over Portsmouth and at 3:00pm was over the Deep Creek section of Chesapeake. From there she flew southeast flying over the Northwest River into Currituck County, North Carolina. She spent the night just south of the Tulls Bay Colony residential area. About 10:00am Tuesday August 18 she got up and started flying north back into Virginia over the Blackwater area and at noon was over North Bay in Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge. From there she flew due north in a straight line over the Virginia Beach resort area to Fort Story at 1:00pm and then returned to NBG. In 24 hours Azalea made about a 90 to 100 mile round-trip and spent the night away from home for the first time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:11 pm 

Check out the great shots from 8/7 from one of the eagle paparazzi. Dad is transferring food to Azalea. Awesome action photography.
http://www.pbase.com/shellyva

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:18 pm 
Global Moderator

Thanks Barb for the links...
I need to check in on Azalea/Norfolk more often!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:37 pm 
Global Moderator

Very interesting about Azalea's round trip jaunt, and I loved those pics of the food exchange. Awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:48 am 

Shelly's pictures of Dad and Azalea were on the front page of the The Beacon .... link to post on Hancock forum. :)

http://www.norfolkeagles.com/viewtopic. ... 4&start=45

PS - Azalea has officially left the Gardens! Stay safe little one! :)
http://www.wildlifetracking.org/index.s ... 1251125363

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:24 pm 

Birdofprey at Hancock posted this on our little SWEETHEART BUDDY
I received an email from WCV today with news about Buddy - not a surprise, IMO, and I know that Buddy will lead a wonderful, and pampered, life, and be a fabulous ambassador.

The Norfolk Bald Eagle [#08-887] was re-evaluated in August 2009. For the past year, the eagle has been brought into the Wildlife Center clinic for periodic beak-trimming and management. However, the beak has not straightened as we would have hoped. At this point, it appears that, despite our best attempts, the germinal cells of the left side of the upper beak have been permanently altered. It is also likely that in addition to the distorted keratinized portion of the beak surface, the underlying skeletal component to the beak is also deviated to the left.

It is our professional opinion that, due to these apparently permanent changes to the beak, lifelong management will be necessary in order for this eagle to thrive. If the bird were to be released, the beak would continue to grow until he could no longer open or close the mouth. This undoubtedly would result in the eagle’s eventual starvation and death.

In addition to the beak, the Norfolk eagle’s general demeanor is not conducive to living in the wild. Due to the extensive treatment and procedural regime from a young age and the corresponding human contact, the eagle appears to be habituated to humans. When entering this eagle’s enclosure, for example, it is possible to stand within several feet of him without any visible signs of distress. In fact, the eagle prefers to sit and chat, often tilting his head from side to side. The vocalization is a high-pitched chatter that is consistent with a begging call in young birds. In contrast, other non-habituated eagle patients with a “wild” personality fear humans and attempt to flee.

For these two main reasons, it is our recommendation that patient number 08-0877 be declared non-releasable.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:48 am 

Update on Azelea's travels. She is still pretty close to home, and hanging out at one of my favorite fishing spots :)

This satellite map covers a wide time range through the early morning August 24 so that you can see better how Azalea (HH) has wandered first to the south, and then farther to the north. At 10:00am Friday August 21she left Norfolk Botanical Garden flying to the Norview section of Norfolk, then turned south to the Stumpy Lake area of Virginia Beach at noon, then back north to NBG at 1:00pm (where Joe Foreman saw her flying with 2 Osprey), from there she took off north and by 2:00pm was over the East Pembroke area of Hampton, by 3:00pm she was over the mouth of the York River still flying north, at 4:00pm near White Stone on the Upper Peninsula of Virginia, and finally about 5:00pm came to rest on a creek near Good Luck, Va (can you believe that!!!) where she spent Friday night. She left Good Luck about 12:00 noon Saturday August 22 and flew north over Kilmarnock, Wicomico Church and Burgess to a patch of woods on the Little Wicomico River between Edwardsville and Ophelia, Virginia. She spent the nights of August 22, 23, 24 in that small area that is just a couple miles from the mouth of the Potomac River.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:58 am 
Global Moderator

Thanks for the update Barb...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:09 pm 

Update covering the 14th to the 17th. :)

Quote:
On Monday Sept 14 Azalea had discovered Hack Creek which is just west of Vir-Mar Beach, VA. She only stayed there an hour or so then returned to familiar territory on the Little Wicomico River south of Vir-Mar, then flew back to Snydors’ Millpond west of Edwardsville where she remained until Tuesday afternoon Sept 15. She continued south back to a pond off the Wicomico River south of Burgess where she spent most of Sept 11. She spent the night of Sept 15 here. Wednesday morning Sept 16 after a brief flight to just west of Blackwells on the Wicomico River she turned north back to Hull Creek off the Potomac River and spent the night. This map ends the morning of Thursday Sept 17 with Azalea in a patch of woods off Newman’s Neck Road Rt 636 within 1/4 mile of the Potomac River near the mouth of Newman’s Creek.

http://eagletrak.blogs.wm.edu/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:21 am 
Global Moderator

Thanks Patti for the link!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:44 pm 

Thanks Patti. I'll bet she is going back home to get a free meal. Lucky girl. Its all beautiful and pretty remote where she has been hanging out. Better than right next to the airport where the parents hang.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:59 pm 

I guess some of the members of the Norfolk forum got to go visit Buddy!! Duane got some beautiful photos!!

Per Duane himself about 2 seconds ago ... :roll:

Quote:
The Wildlife Center of Virginia had a special Saturday for the ones that support the center and one particular patient/resident named Poink, Easter, Buddy or 08-887...whichever you prefer to call this special little Eagle.

It was their way of thanking everyone for the support they have received since the 2008 Eaglet entered into their facility. We got a guided tour of the facility, some education/information about the environment and the 2008 Eaglet and we got to witness what the Eagle will have to go through the rest of its life.....shaving of it's beak. Confused We got to see some residents of the center along with the Eaglets living "area".

To top it off we got to see an American Kestrel and a Red-tailed Hawk released back into the wild on the Blueridge Parkway.

Link to his photos ...
http://norfolkeagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1349

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:19 pm 
Global Moderator

WoW Patti...Outstanding - thanks for the link!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:34 pm 

Just as wonderful as Duane's photos are the videos from the days event. They got to watch them dremel Buddy's beak! I haven't even finished watching all the videos annsva posted, but this one is the best so far!! Ed Clark is a terrific guy!! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWw5diM4I2Y

Link to the thread with all the videos...
http://norfolkeagles.com/viewtopic.php? ... 55&start=0

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:10 pm 

Thanks for letting us know Patti! I had to join the forum after looking at all the activity there. Good for the wildlife center for rewarding Buddy's fans and contributors. Its a long drive for all the Norfolk folks, and they sure made it special. Great pic of Dr. Dave, and spectacular ones of Buddy. I have serious camera envy 8-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks PattiO....that video with Ed Clark was so funny!!! I have only made a dent in watching the other videos...but had to chuckle watching the one where they all went to visit Buddy in his flight cage...OMG...do I talk like that to animals?! Too funny!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:18 am 

Quote:
OMG...do I talk like that to animals?! Too funny!!!

I was laughing at that too!!! I know I DO!! I would have been doing the exact same thing if I was there!! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:43 pm 
Global Moderator

Thanks for all the info and the links, Patti. I just looked at the pictures (I'm saving the videos for later), and Buddy sure is one beautiful eagle. I also loved seeing that picture of the beautiful female kestrel!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:12 pm 

Yet another story on our tv celebrity eagles. I love Reese's adoration for this family!

http://www.wvec.com/video/topvideo-inde ... vid=402635

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next