Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: NORFOLK BOTANICAL GARDENS ~ January-April 2011
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:15 pm 
Global Moderator

Jim, I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for your words and photographs. The photographs that you have shared with us are so beautiful and document her life. They express what has been lost.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:18 pm 
Global Moderator

George, what an experience with the peregrine eggs. Thank you for being there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:39 pm 

Jim, thank you for being there for all of us. I'm sure it was nice and comforting seeing Dad. Beautiful shots!

George, thanks for posting that very interesting article. Its the best thing I've read all day on what's happened.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:56 pm 

Jim, thank-you for going there today. I am glad you saw Dad . take care of him for us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:06 pm 

Jim, thank you so much for the beautiful photos you posted, especially the outstanding photo of beautiful Mom. She was so regal and majestic, so much loved, and she is missed by so many people. She will always be remembered.

It is still so hard to believe that this has happened. I wish the eaglets could have stayed with Dad, but I understand the reasoning behind moving them. I hope they will thrive in their new situation. I feel so bad for Dad, who has now lost his whole family.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Jim, thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your photos of Dad, the flowers remembering mom, and especially your experience as you stood in the Garden, remembering mom and their glorious reign at this nest. As we have said so often when we lose a beloved parent, Mom's genes will live on in her children. Dad is such a great dad and mate, he'll have no problem finding someone else to share his life. I know he will move on quicker than we will.

the Wildlife Center has set up a special page for the eaglets, similar to what they did for Buddy...I'm sure they will do a great job keeping us updated...

George, thanks so much for sharing that article. I'm reminded of the situation at the Great River PF box where Mom is missing. We know they went out on Monday to assess the situation, but we don't know yet if they took the eggs, located Mom or what...I pray for a positive outcome for that nest as well..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:23 pm 

Here's Dad, shortly after 6 PM, right before he picked up the fish and left the nest.

I was glad he took the fish

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:27 pm 

I am glad he took the fish too! Perhaps that is a sign for us that he has moved on....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that pic, Beans...how's this for rose-tinted glasses..I hope Dad thinks they have fledged..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:50 pm 

I love those Image. Get me a pair!!! :smile:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:57 pm 
Global Moderator

Those rose-tinted glasses sound pretty good to me because without them I'm pretty devastated as all of you are.

Jim, thank you for helping the rest of us process what's happening right there IN THE GARDEN. Bless you for having the courage to go there and FACE IT knowing it will be emotional.

I'm not ready to visit the site and see the eaglets in their new surroundings. Too soon for me. But I do appreciate all that they are doing to help these kids get grown up without their parents.

Hugs to everyone in pain and having to deal with this unnatural and untimely situation. (I don't mean the intervention; I mean Mom's unnatural fate with the airplane.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:15 pm 

gigi wrote:

I would love a pair of those also.

thank-you SGB for finding a silver lining somehow.

I am going to try again to put something into words.

I remember a few years ago when they rescued Buddy. We felt bad but we were all relieved.

Buddy is well cared for and bestills my heart :smile:

WE will follow these 3 eaglets with love because they are a part of Mom Norfolk. It is bittersweet, but maybe one of them will turn up some day at a site that is monitored. that would be so wonderful.

tomorrow is a new day , a new chapter, and a time of fond memories.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:59 pm 

I'm in tears again ..... Jim ... thank you so much for your post. I know all our beloved eagle paparazzi are feeling this loss tremendously. I need to get a copy of Duane's book ... never did get around to that. And I put my name in for the 2012 calendar. And as soon as I can I'm sending a donation to WCV.

Mom's loss is hard enough to take ... but watching poor Dad, wondering where his family went. I just can't stand it. And I know it's just 'us' that think this way. Dad will be fine ... and move on ... he'll have a nice lazy summer eating fish and perching in the sunshine. And then hopefully, come fall, he'll find a pretty new female to keep him company.

This is my 5th year with this pair ... it's just so heartbreaking. The price we pay to watch.

I do want to comment though on Ed's remark .....
bev, WE know the realities of it all ... but remember ... Norfolk has a LOT of people watching that don't know. They don't understand, they don't know how it all works ... classrooms of children ... young children... with teachers trying to explain it all to them. I've seen some of the comments some of the more ignorant people have made and I believe he needed to make that statement. I understand their reasoning for making the decision they did ... I may not like it ... but in reality I think it does give the chicks the best chance.

Barb ... I wish I did what you do. Hugs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:48 am 

Watching Dad was difficult, and now I see the cam is turned off...

I am thankful for everyone's comments to help me see all points of view. How I wish the eaglets could have remained in the nest, but after reading about all the components that made up the difficult decision to remove them, I have to be supportive. I am thankful that time has been taken to inform all of us every step of the way.

I am especially thankful for our friends on the ground as you have provided valuable insights to the amazing birds at Norfolk. Please continue to share your experiences with us. I look forward to it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:07 am 

This came to me last night;

We humans were in debt with Mom.
Human action (air plane ) caused the untimely death of Mom. Therefore we humans owed it to her to make sure her last three babies could grow up safely.
Make sure that they would have the best possible chance to become majestic Eagles, just like her, soaring the skies over that beautiful land.
Dad will get on with his life, I think he already has.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:13 am 

PattiO and others

I did go and remove my post from yesterday.(not thinking as clearly as normal)

Bad day yesterday, and I just want to move on with fond memories and Hope for a new tomorrow.

I just want good memories and I know I will have them.

this is not about me it is about the legacy of a once in a lifetime female. Ma Norfolk.

I also put in my order for the new calendar. I went through my past calendars and my pictures and wow!! What beauty, what majesty.
Let us remember, we still have Dad to embrace and watch and hope for.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:19 am 
Site Admin

gigi wrote:

Loved the glasses....I think I need to keep them on for the remainder of the season!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:21 pm 

I got this today in eagle alert don't know if its old news or not, sorry if it is
Many viewers were eager to resume monitoring the eaglets' daily activities at the WCV, but Clark said a webcam is not yet in place. The WCV understand the keen interest, he said, and is working hard to make the webcam happen.
Rest of the artcle here

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:37 pm 

Just went and checked out today's updates at the Wildlife Center to see how the eaglets are doing. They ate fish at breakfast and then again at lunch. Good news. Can you believe these people collected branches, yes, real big branches, and built a beautiful natural nest for the eaglets? Even with pine all around the edges and dried pine needles and straw in the bowl! I am so impressed with their efforts. They already have a webcam taking pictures inside the enclosure, and have run wires so it is live. For today, it will be like a closed circuit cam until they can figure out the logistics for greater bandwidth.(hope I got that right). They will take screen captures for us until then. Earlier today one of the mods at NBG chat said they were told Dad was seen flying in the gardens. Did not get anymore news yet, have to check sites for info. Mom will be forever missed, hoping to hear Dad is adjusting, and am so relieved to be able to see pictures and updates on the eaglets, the lump in my throat and pain in my heart are easing. I only hope others here, and those at the garden will soon feel the same relief.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:08 pm 
Global Moderator

Dutch Eagle Fan wrote:
This came to me last night;

We humans were in debt with Mom.
Human action (air plane ) caused the untimely death of Mom. Therefore we humans owed it to her to make sure her last three babies could grow up safely.
Make sure that they would have the best possible chance to become majestic Eagles, just like her, soaring the skies over that beautiful land.
Dad will get on with his life, I think he already has.

Thank you for sharing this, DEF. We must be mindful of how we impact nature.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next