Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Eagles4kids ~ 2012
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:01 am 

I understand the difficulties involved in making this decision, but I would have preferred to see Lucy captured and taken into care for at least a little while. I am concerned that she could have a systemic infection from her injuries, and that way she could receive antibiotics, a painkiller, and all supportive care.

Is it possible at least to provide supplemental food for her, to give her a better chance to survive the winter?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:11 am 
Site Admin

Alison. . I think that's a great idea...at least that might give her a chance so that the left foot can heal? I know that both she and Larry have been feasting on a deer carcass (poor deer~hope it was not by the hands of a hunter...we don't need to worry about lead)..Maybe it was hit by a car and drug there?

I know that there is some place with a cam..gosh, I'd have to go look it up, where they set up bait/feed stations during the winter (which are pretty severe) Estonia? sorry..I just can't remember where it is..I'll have to look it up...(not in USA)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:11 am 

Some raptors adapt extremely well to injuries and other types of disability. As has been mentioned, Zephyr adapted exceptionally well to the loss of his foot, and is the only tiercel I know of who raised two clutches of chicks after this happened.

But he is not the only one. In 2004 Dundas, from the Hamilton nest, lost a foot when he was only a few months old, very probably in a leghold trap. All the experts said that he could not possibly survive. He did. They said he wouldn't be able to hunt. He did, and became a very skilled hunter. They said he could not survive the winter. He did. They said he would never attract a mate. He did; he had two different mates. He survived, and did well, for at least four years.

There have been several peregrines with missing toes, such as Sota and 30/B, who have not allowed this to hamper them in any way.

I have also heard of a peregrine who had one eye, who lived successfully in the wild. Considering the effect this would have on depth perception, I think this is remarkable.

This is Dundas:

So I think Lucy has a chance, if she can adjust, and if she does not have an infection.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:14 am 

Infection is the key. But, Falcons are also smaller than Eagles. Less body weight. Have you ever seen an eagle with one foot?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:28 am 
Site Admin

I'm afraid I haven't, PattiO... :girlsad3: But, until Zephyr, I had never seen a one footed falcon either .. I had heard of Dundas, but really didn't know that much about him....so thanks for that info and great pic, Alison. .

Of course, I had to go find a picture of Zephyr after seeing Dundas. .

Since, eagles usually fish, their feet are crucial and hunting styles between the eagle and falcon are totally different...but, I've seen plenty of video where the eagle comes up with the fish, using only one foot...but, we don't even know if Lucy's left foot will be healthy enough to even do that. .

I guess I'm just grasping at straws and hoping for a miracle. .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:46 am 

TY.

Yes, a trap is in my opinion most likely the cause. This is my opinion, which is also that of my team. Some of course want to say electrical because of their knowledge of the Decorah Eagles. That would be very minimal at this point. The likelihood for her to still be alive or survive that at all would be unlikely and there would be entrance and exit wounds. These are comments from a rehabber. I will continue to update as I know more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:22 am 
Site Admin

OK. . wonders never cease. . Look what I found. . a one footed eagle!!!!

Picture "borrowed" from that forum.

I also found this article. . very interesting:

And another regarding a one-lfooted fish eagle..also very interesting!!

"SURVIVAL AND BEHAVIOR OF A ONE-FOOTED MADAGASCAR FISH-EAGLE IN THE WILD"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Brief visit by Lucy. . .very windy up there. . and since the snow plows had not yet cleared the nest, she left..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:53 pm 

Lucy was on the nest this morning for a few minutes. She handled the wind like a pro. I did post on FB and the kids page.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:57 pm 

Some wondered about the deer that she is eating off of. I can 100% tell you the deer are from car accidents. I called the DNR myself and was given the right to use them for baiting. Every carcass right now is in one place. It is a place where a fresh carcass ended up that she found. She has been there today too. Hunting season is over for all gun hunters and has been now for some time. Bowhunters can still hunt, but there is not threat posed from them. I hope that explains the food aspect of this situation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for that info, Talon. . sad for the deer, but good news for Lucy and Larry...and any other critters in need of a good meal!!!

There has been so much Lead poisoning and eagles news recently. . .glad to know this is not a worry here!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:30 pm 
Global Moderator

Thank you for doing that research on one-footed eagles, skygirlblue. Very encouraging.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:21 pm 

allison and Sky

Your information on the one footed falcons and eagles is so very encouraging. It sure gives us more reason to be hopeful that Lucy can make it in the wild. Thank you so much for that research.

Do come to the ustream chat and visit with us any time please.

Sky the Richmond refugees that are at E4K would so love to visit with you. don't lurk all the time. Thank you so much for sharing this info.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:38 am 

:sum7: :sigh

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

Oh glory be!!! :presents3:

At least for right this moment, Lucy looks really good...Here's a very short vid of the end of her visit..You'll also hear Larry in the background (it better be Larry and not some sort of audio delay. . :hollaugh: )

I have lots of pics, but will have to post those later...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:08 pm 

I could watch that over and over! And no Larry was close by. Just before she came in, they both circled around above. I had the PTZ cam aimed up. I was so hopeful to see her today. How many days in a row is this, 6?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:21 pm 

Talon the ptz cam is so clear and we got a good glimpse of her rt foot too. It is amazing to hear them now that there is sound. Love your snaps. Thanks for posting.

Sky your video is great. They were pretty loud vocalizing at something in unison and off she went.

:cmastree: I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

WOW .. .thanks so much for posting your pics, Talon!!! That ptz cam was crystal clear today .. just gorgeous. . and even more so with Lucy in the picture!!! So glad you were there to move it and to zoom in!!! :sum9: :sum9:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:44 pm 

Merry Christmas Everyone!

:ohyes: :hapdance: I got it, it got it! I tried and I tried, and FINALLY! Thanks skygirl. I kept going back and looking at the PM from before. :sum9:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:26 am 

:hollaugh: Ummm ... talon ... there weren't any eagles in that video! :holrolleye:

:falala:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next