Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: NORFOLK BOTANICAL GARDENS ~ 2012
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:54 am 

Thanks for bringing these over Patti. These people sound top notch!

Good luck to Carol when she speaks at the council meeting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:15 am 

here may be some hope yet

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

Great words, Bev. ..and Alison, thanks for bringing over that info ..

This was posted a couple of hours ago on the Eagle Peeps FB page about the air strikes and NBG Mom:

Kelley Story
    "I wish I could go tonight, but I live 1 mile past the Norfolk/Virginia Beach in VA Beach line. I was talking to one of our TSA today, yes, I work at the airport...as a bartender, and I was told Mom Norfolk was at the end of the runway that fateful day feeding on a bird that was a result of a earlier, days earlier, birds trike that the Airport Authority maintenance had failed to clean up. She was only 5 feet in the air when the aircraft struck her, in the FAA report causing minimal damage. Funny how the only tell the bits and pieces that benefit what they want.
    ~and~
    I have to work tonight until 8, or I would go!!! Anyone who goes please go to the FAA birdstike reports, and put in ORF, or KORF, print it out ...the past 10 years only 3 of the birds listed in strikes were Eagles!!! hundreds of other like Canadian geese, vultures, ect were more relevant."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:21 am 

New petition!!!! Please sign!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1895355 ... 539257825/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/EaglePe ... 667202468/

If you aren't a member of one of these FB groups let me know ... there is a way to sign it without being a member .. I just have to find it!! Just trying to spread the word ASAP!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:34 am 

Patti can you please post this at facebook there are a lot that signed or had help signing on the last petition

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:57 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the heads up, Patti. .

For those of you that wish to sign the petition, you will need to join one of the groups to do so. .I believe the Eagle Peeps FB group is "closed" (they reached their max right after I joined). . not sure about the NBG Nesti FB group

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:59 pm 

Supporters rally for Norfolk Botanical Garden eagles
Milana Cochrane, 9, flaps her wings as she takes part in the Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagle Alliance's meeting in support of the eagles at the garden on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012. The group is opposing the removal of the eagles from the Norfolk Botanical Garden.( Steve Earley / The Virginian-Pilot ) (Steve Earley | The Virginian-Pilot)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:53 am 

I am just sick about this. I sure hope the Alliance is able to persuade the city officials to hold off. In the end, I fear the decision will be economic based no matter what the environmental cost to the eagles might be.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:50 am 

NEVER say NEVER!!!!!!!

Quote:
Hi dear friends! What a wonderful day. Went to the meeting the board of the Garden and after Tommy's outstanding presentation, they voted 26-2 to form a task committee to research the nest removal and asked the City Manager's office to put off taking down the nest until their research was complete. Anne Odell, assistant city manager was at the meeting. I gave out a package of information including our math problem of last night - all the info on pyrotechnics and on and on. I will post my one page information sheet later. Anyway, we left and guess who was flying over the visitors' Center??? Dad!!!! He came by to say thank you! So we ran to the nest area and there he was in the 2004 tree waiting to say thank you again!!! More in a minute! I am so tired and very hungry and so happy!!!!! And EAGLE ON!!!!

And Tommy's post about what happened at the meeting tonight!!

Quote:
Tommy Smigiel
Sorry my peep friends, I had another meeting and a high school football game tonight. I am just settling down to take in everything that happened this afternoon. First, I have to start off with letting you know what an awesome experience it was to see Dad and his girlfriends live tonight. This was my first time seeing Dad and I can't tell you how much it meant to finally meet him.

So you may be asking why the NBG vote was significant? If you recall, City Council never voted on the permit. We were only briefed. The decision was made by the City Manager. The City Manager told me that there was no opposition from the airport or NBG. I did not believe that. I first scheduled a meeting with the NBG Board president a few weeks ago. This is when I found out the NBG never took a position. They kept on saying that the city told them they had to do it and since the property was owned by the city they had to comply. I was also told that the NBG was really against this. I went back to the City Manager and told him what was said and he said that he still had not heard that either groups were against it. That's why we had to go and ask the board and ask them to take a position.

The meeting started off with a statement from the president of the board. It was very neutral - basically they disagree, but have to support the city. There was then a lot of discussion. There was a motion made to have the board on record saying that they disagree with the decision, but understood that they had no choice. It was frustrating to hear the conversation because one could tell they did not know the facts. So much incorrect information. Carol and I were just begging to jump in. Finally someone made a motion to table the vote on the statement, which allowed us to speak. I started off with laying out how the decision was made and the lack of transparency. I then discussed the facts including other bird strikes. We then passed out a wonderful packet of facts that Carol spent all day putting together. Without Carol's packet we would not have had as much success. Yous should have seen them flipping through it. I then asked for them to take a vote to let their position be known. I recommended that they vote and ask for a delay of the nest removal until they have been presented with all facts and the impact of the removal.

Next, Marlies Landry of the Gardens Civic League gave more facts and how her neighborhood was opposed. Thank you Marlies for the community support. It was significant to have opposition from a neighborhood.

A new discussion unfolded after the speech and a board member started raising concerns about how the NBG Board was not involved in this. There were lots more questions and discussion. Ellis then made a statement supporting some of the facts on Mom Eagle and explaining the Merlin Radar System. Ellis was great reinforcement. More discussion. Finally, a board member made a motion to form a NBG Task Force to study all options and facts and report back to the full board and in the meantime asking the City Manager to delay the nest removal until then. All of this took about an hour and thirty minutes -so this is a much edited version.

Now we wait for the NBG Board to transmit a letter to the City Manager. Although Anne Odell was there and she will report back to the City Manager, an official letter will help reinforce the opposition. I would also like to present the letter to the City Council.

Hope this helps with a better understanding of what happened today. Thank you everyone for your continued support, prayers, positive thoughts and inspiration.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:55 am 

:sum10: Thanks for bringing this over Patti I missed that, between you & I we will get the news here :sum10:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:03 am 

I'm sorry I haven't been around much Kitten ... had a lot of computer troubles but finally have it back and working!! This was such good news tonight ... these people are fighting hard!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:04 am 

I understand the puter problems thats for sure & yes it is good news sure hope all this helps to keep dad & #3 in the nest

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:16 pm 

:sum10: Encouraging news! Thx for posting that info. Hoping good vibes, and clear heads will prevail towards using a different radar system, and leaving the nest alone.

Dad Norfolk and DT......true love! :girlluv: :girlluv:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:52 am 
Global Moderator

Thanks for the info - please let us know any new news on the Norfolk Eagles saga...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:06 pm 

Posted on FB: :tissue:

BREAKING NEWS: NORFOLK NESTS TO BE MOVED TOMORROW
Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagle Alliance

Very sad news for Dad and #3 and all of us who love our eagles and our Garden. Shame on our City!

Good Afternoon,

This morning the Norfolk Botanical Garden board held an emergency meeting and voted to support the recommendation to remove the nests. I have attached their motions to this email. The City is in possession of the state and federal permits. After discussions with USDA representatives who state removing the nest as early as possible gives the eagles a chance to find another location and reviewing the Garden’s schedule, we determined the best time to remove the nests is tomorrow morning Thursday, October 4th.

According to the tree service, climbers will remove the nests by hand and drop branches to the ground. Under federal law, a USDA representative will supervise the removal process. In the interest of public safety, the garden will close for no more than two hours during this process.

Moving forward, USDA representatives will monitor and report any eagle activity at the Garden and conduct appropriate dispersal techniques.

Since 2011, representatives from the USDA, Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries, the Norfolk Botanical Garden, the FAA and the Norfolk International Airport met about the eagle activity at the airport, nest proximity to the airport, strike history and eagles in Virginia. In June, the City of Norfolk brought these groups around a table to further examine the issue and discuss the recommendation from USDA Wildlife Services to remove the nests following the completion of the Wildlife Hazard Assessment which showed a “significant risk” to public safety. The FAA also sent a letter supporting the USDA’s position in July. Shortly thereafter, the Airport, City and Garden agreed to support the recommendation and remove the nests.

The City of Norfolk, as landowner, moved forward to obtain the necessary state and federal permits in August.

While we all have enjoyed the eagle’s presence in the Garden, encouraging the birds to relocate ultimately ensures the safety of the public, property and the eagles.

Please feel free to call me with any questions.

Sincerely,

Lori Crouch
Public Relations Manager
City of Norfolk
810 Union Street, Suite 1101
Norfolk, Va. 23510
office (757) 664-4067
cell (757) 646-5381
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NorfolkVA
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/CityofNorfolkVA

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

:furious:

Thanks for posting the info here, Kris. . .I first read about it on the Eagle Peeps FB page a little while ago. . I just can't believe it. . such a sad day. .
:cryinggirl:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:47 pm 
What will happen if the eagles choose to nest CLOSER to the airport after this "intervention".....

:sum11:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:16 pm 

Matrix ... the grounds will be monitored for an Eagle activity and measures will be used to keep the Eagles from building a new nest. Noise, canons, paintballs ... they will be harassed until they leave.

I'm so angry right now ..... there is nothing sacred left in this world. Power lines, wind farms, anything we can do to destroy nature ... you name it ... man is good at it.

I don't have enough tears right now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:14 pm 

I'm sorry but ... NBG had NOOOOO problem with the Eagle nest - and the explosion of donations and visitors to the Garden BEFORE Mom was killed. Now all of a sudden there all for removing the nest and protecting the eagles ... BULL!!

This is all really distracting me from my job today but I had to come and post this ... it's a post by David Lynch (not quite sure who he is, but it doesn't matter) ...

Quote:
I write with a heavy heart this morning. The Eagles nest at Norfolk Botanical Gardens has been removed, and the utter lack of common sense and compassion of government is now bare and exposed, for all to see...

When not caring for family, I spend all my free time as a raptor and wildlife preservation/protection advocate. I work with some of the most wonderful people on this earth, all across our
great country, to help educate the public about raptors, the hazards they face, and how we can make a difference. This morning is one of those times when I stand back and wonder what, if any, difference I am making. A dear friend said to me yesterday “try as we might, we will never leave this earth a little better than how we found it ... but we must never give up the fight!” That statement is what is getting me through today, and will fill me with the needed desire to continue to advocate, educate, preserve, and protect. Even if the human species does not see the value of these sentiments, it is now my job to MAKE them understand.

The mission of Raptor Resource Project, one of the organizations I am so proud to donate my time to, is “to preserve and strengthen raptor populations, expand participation in raptor preservation, and help foster the next generation of preservationists”. I find the last past the most interesting.... In our time, right now, it has never been more important to educate the younger population, to arm them with the knowledge necessary to continue to advocate, to show them that the circle of life includes humans, and upsetting that circle can have tragic implications...

As we continue to take wildlife habitat from our animal brothers and sisters, please do not believe that they are the problem. There has to be a way for us to coexist. While we eradicate and destroy in our pursuit of the almighty dollar, there must be people to that stand up and point at the problems. We as humans claim superiority, and believe that our needs supersede all other beings needs. This is known as arrogance, and it is what happened when we poisoned eagles to near extinction with DDT. In 1972, DDT was finally banned because of “advocates and preservationists”. I will not allow history to repeat, not now, not on my watch and my time on this earth.

Please take today and think about how you can help. Whether it is a donation, advocating actions, or simply telling your children how important wildlife is to us and this planet, it will all make a huge difference...

My emotional/artistic side is also wide awake this morning. Goodbye ‘Dad’, may the Great Spirit guide you (and your new mate, DT) to a safer place, filled with peace, so you may accomplish your life purpose. I will think of you everyday.

~Dave~

And here's the picture he posted ... :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:54 pm 

PattiO, thank you so much for sharing the post by David Lynch. His words are eloquent and beautiful. What a sad day this is for the eagles and for all those who care about them and support them. I wonder if anything can be done if there is enough continuing public protest about this situation. Back in 2004 when Pale Male's nest was removed, those responsible were forced to replace it due to the ongoing public outcry.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next