Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: NORFOLK BOTANICAL GARDENS ~ 2012
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:28 pm 

I just got this video in my email

Eagle nests removed at Botanical Garden
City acted on federal concerns about birdstrikes
Updated: Thursday, 04 Oct 2012, 6:29 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 04 Oct 2012, 5:33 PM EDT

Anne McNamara
NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - A dark disappointment cast a shadow over the beauty of the Norfolk Botanical Garden Thursday following the removal of one and a half bald eagle nests.

"It's a sad day. I guess that sums it up," said Donald Buma, the Director of the Botanical Garden.
Video & article here

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:24 am 
Site Admin

Just an amazing video. .(I've posted it everywhere .. :sum8: ). . just have the tissues close by .. :tissue:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:15 am 

My sadness over this is overwhelming. :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:49 am 

:cryinggirl: I am right there with you, PattiO. It is so very sad. On the critter cam, some are saying NBG is not to blame. NOT SO---the lady over the NBG took her stand on the news, stating how they voted to support removing the nest and chasing Dad away for "safety".

In 2011, eagle cam viewers donated to NBG and WCV with open pockets, raising something like $100,000 between the two sites. NBG accepted that money. Then, we all voted for NBG in the Chase contest, and they were given $250,000 for 2nd place? Well, on FB and the NBG site, posters were angry, and said they were going to notify Chase that NBG did NOT support the eagles, after accepting the money. They were going to ask Chase to demand the money back, and award it to the #3 organization on the contest.

Others asked that since in 2011 NBG knew of the FAA's interest in removing the nest, since it all started in 2009 actually, and was put off until 2011, WHY didn't they use that money towards a radar system for the airport, or towards OTHER means, to protect the eagles they loved so much.

It was also noted by posters that if you went to the Norfolk Airport's website the day the nest was torn down, they had posted remarks about the "expansion" planned for the runways. Hmmmm....want to bet they plan to expand the runway closest to NBG???

I hope the FB folks can get a petition going on the petition site to force NBG to refund the Chase money. Embarrass them, shame them, for turning their backs on the folks who really supported their eagles, and more importantly, for throwing the eagles under the bus like this. I will never go there now, and will tell everyone what a dirty deed they did. I say hit them where it hurts. If I see a petition to force them to return the money, I will happily sign it. And for those saying "its safer this way for the eagles"...WAKE UP...it was never about the eagles safety, its about MONEY and politics.

How safe do those folks think Dad Norfolk & DT will be when they are shooting at them with paintballs?

:cryinggirl:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:29 pm 

Interesting LeeLee. I suspect you are right about the airport expansion. Just too coincidental...
NBG definitely benefited from all of the eagle lovers. I am one of many who donated and voted.

Beyond all that, I am just heartsick about all this and the thought of paintballs being shot to keep them away - I can't even describe how I feel about that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:15 pm 

Oh LeeLee you have made such a great point thank you so much for sharing all this with us

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:30 am 
Global Moderator

I'm at a loss for words over what's happened here, except to say that it makes me very sad and very angry.

Thanks for posting that video, SGB. It was so touching, and it brought back so many memories of what used to be and will be no more.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Just read this on another eagle blog (I'll reserve comment). I haven't researched to verify!!
    December 21, 2012 —

The two new nests being built were taken down yesterday.

Thanks to many fans of Dad Norfolk (eagle) and his new mate known as #3 or “dirty tail”, eyes on the ground have kept track of what has been happening and keeping an eye out for Dad and Dirty Tail to keep us updated. If you aren’t aware, there was a decision made in September that the eagles in the garden were in danger from the airplanes at the nearby airport, as were the planes and passengers. The result of that decision was that the existing nest was destroyed in early October to discourage the eagles from building their nest there.

Well, it didn’t discourage them much. They started building two new nests recently, and as the USDA was aware, they elected to destroy these two nests also once the nests were completed to a certain level. This was done yesterday. I think everyone so wishes that Dad and Dirty Tail would pick a nearby tree on private property, but this has been Dad’s territory for a long time, so we can only hope. The decision reached by the government back in September I believe includes ongoing discouragement of eagle nest building in the gardens. So the story continues.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:46 pm 

This is just what I thought would happen. And now that it is nesting season, Dad and Dirty Tail are not left with much time... :furious:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:12 pm 

I have also seen this posted elsewhere, along with a pic of a tree with no nest. This is all so sad, and so wrong.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:10 am 

Yes, it's true .... and it's all just making me so angry all over again. :furious:

This was posted today by Duane (photog)

Quote:
Removing their nests is having little effect on the Eagles as they continue to rebuild in the same trees....this morning the original nest tree had some sticks added but I'm thinking they will soon give up on it because most of the sticks are falling to the ground because one of the main branches that used to support the old nest was removed on Thursday....a similar supporting branch was removed from the 2011 nest tree the same morning. My thinking is they will be scouting other trees in the area for a new nest and start building there......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:36 am 

There is a Facebook group called "Eagle On Alliance" with lots of local folks who have gone above and beyond the call of duty to fight this. They are still trying... they did notify the local news about the removal of the new nests ... but I think to them it's a done deal - they said any new nests would be removed so there's nothing new to report.

Carol Flaer Senechal is pretty much the 'head honcho' of the group. :) And she's doing a great job ... they all are!
She posted this about 2 hours ago ...

Quote:
Call to ACTION!!!! Letters to the NBG Board of Directors and the Executive Director of NBG asking them to stop this! Respectful, factual as always. Here is the link. The Board of Trustees can be reached through the NBG main email address. Just put each board member in the subject line - for instance TO: Ann Stokes, President of the NBG Board of Trustees. NBG will forward them. Here is the link to the staff and the link to the Board. Thanks and EAGLE ON!!!!!

Here is the link to a list of the names of the NBG board of directors ... http://norfolkbotanicalgarden.org/board-of-trustees/

Emails as follows: (take spaces out!)
Don Buma is Don.Buma @ nbgs.org
Donna Krabill director of education and communication: donna.krabill@ nbgs.org; Kelly Welsh, Public Relations Manager: kelly.welsh@ nbgs.org. Melissa Mullins, executive assistant to Don Buma (ask her to forward to board members) melissa.mullins@ nbgs.org
Here's a direct email to Ms. Ann P. Stokes astokes@ apsla.net

Carols suggestions for what to say ...

Everyone was in such a rush to issue and sign and approve permits and the only thing that has been done is to take nests down. Nothing else. They waited and waited to do that. Either enforce the permits or leave them alone and get the USDA out of the Garden. This is cruel and unusual punishment because no one wants to do their jobs or it was all for show!

Revoke the permit now before you all kill the eagles from sheer exhaustion. Or she ends up laying eggs on the ground. Every time a nest is removed it hurts the eagles and the image of the Garden. Heartless.

I know it's the weekend before Christmas and I apologize for bringing this up tonight! But word that our eagles were trying to build for the THIRD time has sent me over the edge. Time is of the essence.
Be sure to send emails to Don Buma, Donna Krabill, and Ann Stokes. Particularly Ann Stokes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:02 am 

I got an update on FB friday so sad
So sad to report that the tree service went to the Garden on Thursday morning and on orders from the USDA removed both new nests our eagles were building. When will this nonsense stop?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:42 pm 

Sweet Buddy :girlluv:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:45 pm 
Global Moderator

Just uploaded. Beautiful memory-video by birdbrain56

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:57 pm 

Beautiful. I get teary every time I thing about what has happened to the Norfolk nest...

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22