Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Misc Hawks 2012/2013
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:53 pm 

It looks like someone actually tape the area off :egg5: this Hawk wasn't afraid of anyone but the COP
Published on Jun 19, 2012 by MFP3492

A majestic Red Tailed Hawk landed on the sidewalk of 84th street & Riverside Dr. out of nowhere. It then flew off after a police officer walked near it. What a sight it was. The song in this video is called "Guiding Spirit" by The Blue Cliff Ensemble.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Misc Hawks 2012/2013
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:35 pm 

Pale Male's Baby Hawks Can't Come Home Until Rat Poison is Removed
Updated August 13, 2012 6:39am

Read more:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:04 pm 

:bonnet: hey kittenface - did not realize we had a "misc hawk" section listed here. So sorry have been posting under breaking news, will post palemale updates here for now on.

So I just saw the video posted in June of the red tail at Riverside Drive, scared away by the policeman.

The Riverside Mom was believed to be one of palemale's daughters. She died of poisoning about 2 weeks after Lima, his mate before Zena. I am hoping this is one of the Riverside Mom's fledglings, now turning over a year old and has his own "red tail" colors showing, returning to the area.

...another little piece of palemale, and his daughter, living on...and what a beauty he is too!

:girlluv:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:39 pm 

:gaah: Didnt think there would be something to post so soon....Lincoln has posted that he thinks the 3rd fledgling is presumed dead - he has not seen him in 2 weeks now. The first two fledglings of PaleMale and Zena, are with the Horvath's rehab center, and wont be released into Central Park due to the poisons. Poor PaleMale...2 fledglings being released somewhere else, and now maybe the last one of their beautiful babies is gone...why dont the folks following PaleMale that live in NYC do a protest? I dont get it, we all know thats what its going to take to stop this...Cathy Horvath stated the same in the news article...

:furious:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:47 pm 

I sure wish I knew what to say LeeLee it is such ashame that more people share the love for wildlife as Lincoln & his followers do but some might be thinking (as sos many do) what can I do I'm only one person or they might not want to start something that might backfire (politics) and case something like what is going on at Norfolk Eagles right now.
If they all had half the passion you have things would sure be so much better. I wonder if Lincoln has any suggestions on what might be done. If you hear anything please keep us updated maybe something like an online petition might help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:23 am 
Site Admin

LeeLee wrote:
:gaah: Didnt think there would be something to post so soon....Lincoln has posted that he thinks the 3rd fledgling is presumed dead - he has not seen him in 2 weeks now. The first two fledglings of PaleMale and Zena, are with the Horvath's rehab center, and wont be released into Central Park due to the poisons. Poor PaleMale...2 fledglings being released somewhere else, and now maybe the last one of their beautiful babies is gone...why dont the folks following PaleMale that live in NYC do a protest? I dont get it, we all know thats what its going to take to stop this...Cathy Horvath stated the same in the news article...

:furious:

I don't get it either. I can't believe they haven't mobilized and taken a more visual stance on this issue. We can all write emails, but I don't think it will do any good. . but get several hundred people out there with signs, marching in front of the mayors office and I bet lots of people will sit up and take notice!!

The majority of people do not realize what they are doing when they set out these bait traps. I was at my parents yesterday and they had done the same. I gave them quite the lecture about the bait they were using for the mice around the house. They, like so many others, did not even consider the consequences of what could happen if another animal got hold of the baited mouse!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:27 pm 

:toast Lincoln has given PaleMale's 8th mate a name: Octavia. If you go to the website, he has posted closeup pics of her and a video of PaleMale and her in the nest, him doing nestorations. She seems calm and somewhat submissive to him at this point. (Lola and Zena, not so much lol).

She has a white eyebrow mark, and white on the head.

Lincoln also posted a beautiful sequence of photos of them doing the rth bonding dance in the sky, even locking talons in the end. Worth seeing them together like that!

www.palemale.com

:girlluv: :girlluv:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:31 pm 

Got this in my email today

Update about "New York State Department of Environmental Conservation: Stop the murder of our Red Tail Hawks in NYC!"
First, I want to thank each and every-one of you for supporting and signing this petition!

I want to let you know that the Central Park Conservancy is not using poison at this time.

That is the good news.

However, the bad news is, since this petition was launched, we unfortunately now have strong reasons to believe that Pale Male’s third baby “Opera Star” and Pale Male’s mate, Zena, have been poisoned and died.

As you know, these latest poisoning come on top of the awful discovery that Pale Male's and Zena's first two offspring were so ill, they had to be rescued from the vicinity of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. While in rehab, they tested positive for super toxic rat poisons. Despite the serious harm the rodenticide has caused, The American Museum of Natural History and The Metropolitan Museum of Art, still refuse to stop using it.

We are now issuing a call to action:
Tomorrow, Wednesday, September 12, 2012, please make a call to both these institutions and let them know that you are very concerned about their use of rat poison and urge them to use alternative methods. There are solar garbage cans, rodent proof cans, and other sanitation control methods that would resolve the problem.

Just one phone call can help save all the Hawks in Central Park. Please make these two calls on Wednesday. If each of us pitch in, our voices will be heard.

If all you receive is a voice mail, please leave a message.(They keep disconnecting their numbers, but the main ones still work).
Thank you for your concern and willingness to help stop these needless deaths.
Save the Hawks...Stop the Poison!
stopthepoison@aolcom

The American Museum of Natural History:
Ask for: Museum Director Ellen V. Futter, email: futter@amnh.org
Phone: 212-769-5100, 212-769-5102-finance, membership(212) 769-5606
Also-Karen Quigley, Office of the President
email: kquigley@amnh.org

Metropolitan Museum of Art
Phone: 212-535-7710 press * then “0” ask for "Emily Rafferty" ( President), leave message with anyone.

To view the petition

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:42 pm 

thx for posting kittenface. Posted this in breaking news for those readers:

I received this email today:

"The Met has responded stating that they have stopped using poison and the boxes that we see are either empty or test boxes.
We have agreed to stop the call in for the Met at this time.
We requested a meeting with them and they sounded agreeable. Keep your fingers crossed!

As for the Museum of NH...no response...thank you for calls today.
We will keep you aware of the events.

Many thanks! Save the Hawks!:

so, hoping PaleMale, Octavia, and Zena's other fledglings can llive long lives...many thx to all those who called to help the cause!

:girlluv:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:27 pm 

I did make the calls now how much good it'll do I have no idea

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:51 am 
Global Moderator

The Wildlife Center of Virginia...
You are watching Hawk Cam (1), featuring Broad-winged Hawk #12-1541. This juvenile hawk had an "imping" procedure [feather replacement] last month. If all goes well, the hawk should be released later this month.

Critter Cam hawk eating his dinner last night :biggrin:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]