Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: AMERICAN KESTRELS ~ 2012
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:17 am 
Global Moderator

KF - You were right about seeing some chicks flying off today! Two of the chicks at the Nebraska nest have fledged, leaving four chicks in the next box (along with what appears to be a mouse for breakfast).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:31 pm 

Man those Pawnee chicks are in and out all day today I got to go to work so can't get video I'll have to rely on the still when I get home Neb is at 4 and Boise is getting very rambunctious crawling all over each other :egg11:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:28 pm 
Global Moderator

Nebraska Kestrels: Another fledged today for a total of 3 fledges, 3 remaining.

Pawnee Kestrels: Early this morning, 3 had fledged and 2 remained in the nest. Just now when I checked, all had fledged.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Biose.. these guys are getting close.. and have been so cute.. I've got video I'll post in a few. .

parents have been busy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

Boise, Idaho. . 3 short videos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:50 pm 
Global Moderator

Boise Kestrels

All the chicks were home when I checked this morning, but now there are only two left. That means three fledges today!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:17 pm 

Boise Idaho Kestrel update :sum7:

Dear Jannice,

We have both happy and sad news about the family of American Kestrels featured on our webcam this season.

First, the good news: All five fledgings made it safely through their first few weeks out of the nest. They were seen frequently in the vicinity of the nest box and could be heard vocalizing to each other throughout those first weeks. The young ones are independent now and have dispersed to eventually set up territories and raise families of their own.

Now, the sad news. The adult male was recently found dead on our property at the World Center for Birds of Prey. It appears he was preyed upon while on the ground. We had grown fond of this tenacious kestrel, which remained intensely focused on providing food for his chicks even after becoming blind in one eye, perhaps as a result of another predator attack. Because of a distinctive feather pattern on his tail, we were able to confirm his death.

Thank you for your interest in our kestrelcam, a popular feature of the new American Kestrel Partnership. Since taking flight in April, the Partnership has attracted hundreds of citizen scientists who are now engaged, connected, and talking to each other around the world. We are excited to continue building on this amazing network of kestrel enthusiasts.

The kestrelcams are offline until next spring, but we hope you will enjoy these photos and video highlights from the 2012 season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:40 pm 
Global Moderator

Kitten - Thanks for posting the latest Boise kestrel news. I was so happy to hear that all 5 fledglings had made it safely through their first weeks out of the nest, but so sad to hear that their dad had died. It sounds as if he'd been a really good father to his chicks even though he'd been blind in one eye, something I hadn't been aware of.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5