Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: LAKE BARKLEY (KEEP), KY~ 2010
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:07 pm 

YAY!!!! :clapegg:

Thank you, Jazzel, for pushing the rescue along and letting us know the successful outcome!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:14 pm 
Global Moderator

Yes, great news here!!! I checked on the nest about 20 minutes or so ago, but a parent was keeping the chicks well hidden (it will probably take a while for the ospreys to get over the trauma of the rescuers at the nest).

A big thanks to Jazzel and everyone involved in getting the one chick unstuck! It's so nice to have a happy ending.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:39 pm 

George said he will be posting pics on the web site. He also said..."They were able to band 2 of the 3. The little one was too young(small) to band. Everything really went well." :grin:

Pics from just after return to the nest

JAZZEL :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:28 pm 

Ed just sent me this update and pic :grin:

"Very successful rescue with the perfect ending. The largest chick had fishing line around its middle toe, right foot, when removed there was an indention in the skin like a ring on too tight but no break in the skin. The second largest chick had just started to get tangled. C3 was in good condition with a full crop but just small, probably a male with two big older sisters. C1 and C2 were banded but C3 was too small to band. The adults fussed a lot but only flew within about 12 feed of the biologist removing the youngsters from the nest. Both adults stayed in the immediate area during the entire time we were in the area. The chicks were taken to near-by shade on the ground for checking, fishing line removal and banding. The female landed back in the nest as if she knew her chicks would be returning soon. All string was removed from inside the nest and under the platform, one line had a fishing hook even tho the nest is about 1/8 mile from the water so one of the adults no doubt brought the hook and line to the nest as nest material. We took a number of photos. I will attach one now. As soon as the chicks were returned to the nest, the female returned to the nest. Before we left we saw the male returning with a fish. I just checked the nest at the KEEP web site, the chicks seemed to be sleeping and the female was low over them keeping an especially close watch."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:02 am 

Ed sent me a lot of photos of the rescue and banding...I'll get them into a slide show an post them over the weekend. For now here's a photo of the trash the chicks were trapped in...YUK

JAZZEL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:41 am 

C3 has it down!

Picture this: watched a feeding yesterday; C1 and C2 standing in front of Mama being fed. C3 toddles behind Mama and sticks his head between her legs, grabbing the pieces of fish from her beak before she has a chance to feed the others! Thumbs up to C3! :thumbup

(Sorry - couldn't get a decent photo due to angle of cam.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:10 am 

Happy to see the little guy has become very assertive and is not being picked on by the larger two chicks any longer. Plants himself right in the middle of the other two during a feeding and grabs the fish directly from Mama's mouth before she can feed the big guys.

You go, little one!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:16 am 

MaryG wrote:
Happy to see the little guy has become very assertive and is not being picked on by the larger two chicks any longer. Plants himself right in the middle of the other two during a feeding and grabs the fish directly from Mama's mouth before she can feed the big guys.

You go, little one!!

Mary, :agree:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:12 pm 

Ditto to your observation, Mary

I'm just relieved that the bullying has subsided :boogie

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:43 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:34 am 

I finally got a glimpse of the illusive third chick! They all looked fine in your great pic from the 19th, kittenface, and I've looked in several times since then and only seen two - but always Mom has been blocking/sheltering part of the nest, so I couldn't be sure how many there were. If you look closely, you can see the head of the third one under Mom in the first pic:

I like how the older chick is standing up and letting her opinion be heard! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:38 am 

One chick is entangled again...possibly with fishing line.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:52 pm 

Thanks, shshen. It looked as if the one on the right was tugging at one of her legs. :-(

I know they removed a lot of fishing line - don't know if they missed a piece, or if more has been brought in with fish or nesting material. I've sent an email to Jazzel - I think she knows how to contact the folks there, and she might get an email faster than she'll see the post here.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:03 pm 

They just had someone in the nest to remove the line from the chick's leg. :eggdance:

I have some pics but can't easily/appropriately post them from work. I'll try to add something when I get home tonight, or else tomorrow.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:55 am 

Shshen and Judy, thanks....I did get your messages, but late...I haven't been able to watch the cams much this week.

I contacted LB tonight when I got in....this is making me sick!!!!!!

Ed's reply to me (shshen, could you be Hawaii ? :rainbow )

"Yes, a tangled problem again but quickly resolved this time, another happy ending. One of the banded chicks became badly tangled in 6 lb test monofiliment fishing line with one small split shot and no hook. We were fortunate that the electric co. had a truck near-by and were there about 20 min. after I was able to talk to the forman which took a little while to locate. I was visiting my daughter, so I was also about 20 min. away from the nest. We were at the nest for only about 15 min. Had some concerns that some of the juvs. might jump but they did not. Female was immediately back in the nest and the male was close-by and landed near the nest. We got the first tangle possibility contact from Hawaii early this am and George quickly confirmed with video and stills. I could find no other fishing line in the nest or below. Hopefully we will have no more problems before this threesome will fledge. Sorry for the bad weeks, smooth sailing from now on hopefully for all.

Ed"

JAZZEL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:07 am 

Hi JudyB
You are correct, it was the chick on the right whose leg was entangled in fishing line.

Tough to say if all the fishing line was removed during the first rescue. I am sure they tried their best to do so. It may have been brought in (again) by the adults...just a guess. Thanks for sending an email to Jazzel.
....muchly appreciated!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:30 pm 

The oldest nestling will be at 55 days next Friday, we will, I hope, see some great flapping this week :yip :yip

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:47 pm 

Hi Jazzel
It is 1247pm (sunday-HST) here and I just checked in on the nest. The flappin' has begun :woohoo:

Yes, that's me in Hawaii. Glad the second rescue went well....It is exciting times ahead in many nests. Fledging is next :yip

Aloha!
Sami

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:03 pm 

Hi Jazzel and shshen! Here is my slideshow of the visit to the nest to untangle the chicks. I started by taking s'caps from the streaming cam, then partway through switched to the larger and clearer still pics.

The final pic is the first time I clearly saw all three after the alert in mid-afternoon. I wasn't able to find what time zone the cam is in with a quick look, so used Eastern time where I am (Kentucky is divided between Eastern and Central); I used the time mostly to show how things progressed, so the relative time is more important than absolute time. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :wink: )

Click for slideshow - 40 pics

Thanks for the additional information, Jazzel - and thank you for getting word to them so quickly, shshen. :grin:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:26 pm 

JudyB - amazing slide show! WOW. Thanks so much - nothing like some in the nest drama on a quiet Sunday. Glad it all went well.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next