Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: MISC OTHER OWLS-2009/2010
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:41 am 

Hooray for Teeny!! :) And I'm with you Mick!! :leafrock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Well, the cam is still down...Internet problems...but I just finished reading the Blog....very interesting...here ya go...

Sunday 07 November

03h30 Central African Time. Indie is back on the balcony! We are up early, and looked onto the balcony. Teeny's in the pot, and one chick on the pillar behind the nest tree. We rush downstairs to see who is still in the garden/roof, and see Jelani still above the braai area on the patio. Its amazing that Indie made it all the way back to the balcony on the first night out. Way to go Indie!

Indie's First Flight 06 November

In the early evening, we watched as Indie took up its usual position on the pillar behind the nest pot plant. Teeny snoozed in the nest. Jelani stood on one leg by the braai/BBQ area. We went inside to fetch something. We were gone for not even 2 minutes, and when we returned, Indie was no-where to be found. Teeny sat calmly in the pot plant, waiting for food. By PPO's movements, we found Indie standing on the neighbour's balcony pillar - the same flight distance as Jelani's first flight. A tremendous feat! Jelani stayed right by the braai area on the patio. I almost got hit on the head by PPO for being in the garden - a warning to keep away. We fell asleep with the chicks in 3 different areas.

Saturday 6 Nov

We woke up to Pot Plant Owl's alarm call, and rushed out of bed to look. Two cats were innocently walking near the driveway, but obviously this was too close for mom's liking. The cats quickly scampered.

Like in previous years when the chicks left the balcony and couldn't get back up, Jelani sits on the braai (BBQ) area below the balcony. Jelani appears quite content and by 8am, was fast asleep lying on its belly on the wall. It looked very cute.

Both Teeny and Indie snuggled together in the nest. It seems like Indie has grown overnight and is looking so much like an adult owl now. There is very little difference in height between PPO and Indie, as I discovered when Indie stood up next to its mom in the nest. Indie is also developing a 'cheeky' personality - knocking Teeny out the way, or biting mom's tail. No-one is harmed, but if owls can get irritated, I'm sure both Teeny and PPO are getting there.

It was Guy Fawkes Night last night - my worst time of the year. The fireworks every year send many pets, animals and birds into frenzies, trying to escape the noise. Thankfully, in our area this year, there were were very fire crackers lit. And 'our' owl family didn't seem too bothered by the noise. I wish they would do away with Guy Fawkes Day - I really do.

Other than the above, not much else new to report on the babies. Our Internet problem MAY be sorted out todday, but it is more likely on Monday or Tuesday. Please bear with us and keep checking in. Thankfully, using the cell phone allows me to update this blog, but it won't hold streaming a live webcam.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:39 pm 

Thanks for the updates SGB!! :leafrock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:32 pm 
Global Moderator

Thanks SGB...braai and Guy Fawkes

from Wiki;
On 5 November 1605 Londoners were encouraged to celebrate the King's escape from assassination by lighting bonfires, "always provided that 'this testemonye of joy be careful done without any danger or disorder'". An Act of Parliament designated each 5 November as a day of thanksgiving for "the joyful day of deliverance", and remained in force until 1859. Although he was only one of 13 conspirators, Fawkes is today the individual most associated with the failed Plot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:14 pm 

Africam is working again! :) Looks like Teeny and maybe one other owlet in the pot. Very windy right now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:47 pm 

Video: Spotted Eagle-owls in Potted Plant – Daytime View

For those of you who are NOT night owls, here’s a glimpse the owls during the day. Not much happening -- they’re napping, of course.

This is from yesterday:

Video: Spotted Eagle-owl Family in a Potted Plant

I like the infrared cam

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:28 pm 

Thanks, Beans! I normally checked on these guys every night, but the cam was down for several days & I just got out of the habit. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the great videos, Beans....they are so cute...I do hope they are still there when I get to check in on them again this weekend...(work is really interfering with my cam watching... :leaftwirl:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:37 am 

Yeah, I know the feeling SGB! :roll:

I'm lmao'ing right now ...... someone is vacuuming, and the cam is shaking, and I don't see any owls!! :laugh2 :laugh2 And it's only 7:30 A.M. there!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:48 am 
Site Admin

2 in the pot right now...

Family portrait...Posted this morning on the blog...

Saturday 13 November
I was so excited this morning to see all three chicks back in the nest when I woke up. I suspected that Jelani would return to join Teeny, but I had my doubts about Indie, our explorer.

Seeing the three chicks in the pot plant nest makes one realise how much they have grown. There is barely any space for them to lie down now without flopping on top of one another. By mid -morning, Pot Plant Owl had joined her chicks for a short while. The nest pot was bursting at the seams with all of them together. It would be nice if Pappa was obliging and flew in for a full family shot.

It's come to my attention that, to combat boredom and owl withdrawal symptoms while we had no internet connectivity, some of our chat room viewers decided to make up stories about our owls. This is what the viewers came up with watching a black screen, and I quote:

"While Indie and Jelani scanned the neighbourhood from the pillars, Teeny hissed and called for his supper. First PPO brought Teeny a Cricket Pate appetizer. This was followed by Pappa bringing the main course of snake spaghetti, rounded off with a King Cricket crunch dessert. It was a feast that put Teeny in a food coma."

and another part of the story,
"Jelani and Indie flapped off the balcony to explore, until PPO hooted loudly for their return, for supper. They eventually obliged and flapped their way back to the balcony, only to find that Teeny had eaten all the good stuff, and they were left with King Crickets. Teeny woke up from his coma, and joined his sibs in the pot plant for another nap"

While this was going on, other people were logging in to view the webcam, and they were all very confused - to put it mildly.
"What are you guys looking at?"
"Where are you watching?"
"Something's wrong with my screen. All I see is the black square"

Moral of this story?
Next time you find yourself looking at something mundane like a black square, think of all the other limitless possibilities this 'black square' may hold. You may be surprised!

Friday, November 12, 2010
Friday 12 November
Early morning: Teeny and Jelani are sitting with Pot Plant Owl when I wake this morning. I can see Pappa on the nearby rooftop, but I can't see Indie anywhere. Pot Plant Owl is looking relaxed and seems not to be worried about Indie. This is a good sign because it means that wherever Indie is, the parents know where to look after him / her.

Teeny and Jelanie have spent the morning resting in the nest. It is quite likely that Jelani will follow Indie in the next day or two, and leave Teeny on the balcony for another few days. Any day now, we will be saying goodbye to all of them.

Last night, Teeny flew from the balcony floor up to the pillar and balcony railing. Teeny made it all the way up there without crashing down. Well done Teeny! For most of the evening, Teeny chose to stand on the pillar on the far side of the balcony. We tried moving the camera to show you Teeny, but it is not well-lit so it was hard to see our Teeny.

Jelanie demonstrated great flying skills as it flew from balcony to rooftop, back to balcony again. Indie seemed to want to 'adventure' further as its name suggests, and spent most of the evening out of sight, occasionally popping up on the roof for a few moments.

Pot Plant Owl and Pappa had a tough time keeping track of their chicks. We were woken up by PPO's alarm call which sounded for a while, but didn't see anything unusual. Perhaps it was Mamma's instructions to Indie to keep close.

PM - We caught a glimpse of Indie in the early evening on a nearby roof. Indie was with Pappa, and looked quite well. As soon as it could, Jelanie took off to join Indie and Pappa, leaving Teeny on the balcony alone.

I knew it was going to happen by Teeny's body language. Teeny appeared frustrated at being alone, and anxious to join the rest of the family. Pot Plant Owl fed Teeny well, perhaps in an effort to distract Teeny. But our Teeny has a mind of its own (don't they all?), and had other things planned. Teeny opened its wings and gracefully exited the balcony. When Teeny landed in the neighbour's garden, that was the end of Teeny's graceful spell.

We watched Teeny flap, hop and jump on the grass. The garden only has grass - there are no trees, plants or shrubs. We waited to see if Teeny would be able to find its way onto the wall, and hopefully back into our garden, but the wall is too high at this stage (over double the height of the balcony pillar). For Teeny's safety, we took the decision to return Teeny quickly back to the nest. We picked Teeny up and quickly marched it back to the balcony, and put him / her down on the floor. A minute later, Teeny was back on the balcony pillar, calling for food. Pot Plant Owl came in with food. Moments after Teeny was back on the balcony, Indie flew to the neighbour's roof, so Teeny was happy again.

The next time Teeny flies off, which may well be tomorrow night, we won't return Teeny to the balcony. If Teeny lands in our garden or on our wall, we will just let Nature take its course. Our garden is quite safe, and there are lots of things Teeny can use to flap / climb onto to get more height. If Teeny lands in the neighbour's garden again, and can't get up to the wall, we will put Teeny on the wall, and again let Nature take its course from there.

The reason we brought Teeny back last night was based on watching Teeny's behaviour before the flight. Teeny was just trying to get to the family, rather than deciding that it wanted to explore the surroundings, and learn to fly. As you will see from the pictures we will post of Teeny now, Teeny is still quite small in comparision, and has done a lot less wing flapping and balcony hopping than the others. Fingers crossed that Teeny waits a few days before attempting it again.

We didn't see Indie before retiring this evening, but we are sure Indie is well and learning to hunt with Pappa.

More cute pics: (click on the pics to enlarge them.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:19 pm 
Global Moderator

The other pics on the blog are the cutest pics imaginable! Thanks SGB!
:leaves:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:46 pm 

I can see 2 on the fence. I think the one on the pillar is Teeny! :flirty:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:19 pm 

Save Pot Plant Owls Wetland

signatures: 10,274

signature goal: 10,000

Full target and more!
Yes, guys, we made it!!! :leaftwirl: :upsideleaf: :leavestup: :leaveok: :leaftwirl: :leafwave:

- Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin
Dance me to the end of love
- Leonard Cohen

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:58 pm 
Global Moderator

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

:cheer :cheerlead: :cheer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:43 pm 

:turkeyride: :loveshow: :wave

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:35 am 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:48 am 
Site Admin

I could sit and stare at these guys all day...2 videos..nothing earth shattering...just because they are so cute!!!

Today's Blog entry...poor little Teeny...I do not know how they refrain from going out and scooping him/her up!!!

Sunday 14 November

05h00 Central African Time: We wake to find Teeny downstairs on the patio below the balcony. Indie and Jelani are with mom on the roof nearby. Teeny tries to flap / claw its way up the brick to the balcony above, but doesn't make it, and flops back down into the pot plant on the braai area.

Teeny then decides that the next best way to get back up to the balcony, is to come inside the house. Like last night, Teeny stands right by the glass sliding door of our lounge, and tries to push inside the house. When we cam downstairs to find Teeny trying to get inside the house, Teeny looked up at us and tried again - even more forcefully to get inside. Allan took a few photos which we'll post on the blog soon.

By this stage, Indie and Jelani are safely in the nest on the balcony. We decide to get the owl box from the balcony (thankfully positioned right at our door) and offer it to Teeny downstairs, so Teeny has something 'familiar' there. We carry the owl box and put it by the braai area where Jelani and other chicks have stayed for a day or two.

Teeny is now sitting on the bird bath in the thick of the bushes at the end of the garden. Pot Plant Owl is on the wall above Teeny, so he / she is being looked after. Let's hope Teeny has the sense to go back to the patio, and sleep in its comfortable owl box.

09h00 Central African Time: Teeny has settled down, and is dozing off in the sun near the braai / BBq area on the patio. Pot Plant Owl remains in our Acacia tree, keeping a close eye on her little chick. Indie and Jelani are snoozing happily in the pot plant nest. All is good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:18 am 

I know what you mean about wanting to see Teeny scooped up & transported to where he/she wants to go. They must feel that he/she needs to learn how to get there her/himself. I guess all the youngest owls in various nests are in the same predicament. At least at this nest, the youngest has people watching to make sure he/she's somewhere safe. Thanks for the cute videos, SGB!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:52 pm 

Yes, somewhere way out in the wild Teeny probably would have been dinner for something by now. :o

I never read an explanation as to why Teeny is so much smaller than the other 2??

Oh, and thanks for the good news Kim!! :leavestup:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next