Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: HAMILTON, ONTARIO ~ 2010
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:20 pm 

one at home.
First shot I caught, second one from archive. Was jsut looking gto see how long it was there

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:08 pm 
Global Moderator

bev. wrote:
SusanE wrote:
Thanks for that update, carly. Good to hear of such a successful first flight and landing. So, if male bands are placed on a female, won't it be too snug?

Well you would think so ,wouldn't you. I am probably just blowing smoke but I thought it a long way back and

mentioned it.

I remember you bringing that up from the start, bev. :thumbup

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:43 pm 

and then there are Edmontons. Little porkers. they did not weigh them but hey were huge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:16 pm 

I am actually thinking of a pair of some new type sneakers they have out. but I forget the name. I will have to ask my girlfriend.

I Amy get a pair of turbo chargers attached.

anyhow,
fly high ,wee ones at Hamilton.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:00 am 

I will post picture in morning but 2 here tonihgt.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:38 am 

one at home tonight

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:48 am 

I do not have time for pictures, but 2 at home tonight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:33 am 
Global Moderator

:canada HAPPY CANADA DAY :canada

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:42 am 
Global Moderator

Image Happy Canada Day to all our
Canadian BCAW friends!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:07 am 

Oh this is great you have such dedicated watchers there carly and so glad
they got the little sweety the help it needs and please as soon as you know anything :grin: it sounds like everything will be ok tho

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:41 am 
Global Moderator

Oh no, poor Chedoke! As KF said, the watchers did a great job! Kudos to them for quickly locating him, keeping him safe, and then getting him to rehab. :bow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:57 am 

I am glad Cheroke is in good hands. If you read the report form the other day they say the wind blew him off another perch and I wonder if it hurt him then
I am going back to read it

this is the post

June 29, 2010 - Falconwatch Coordinator Brad Asseltine reports: Now that the chicks are capable of flight - well, Chedoke's almost there - they've come to realize that they no longer have to wait for an adult to come to them with food and so have began flying to meet Madame X and Surge whenever they arrive on the scene, whether they have food or not. This can make it very difficult to keep track of who's who when five or six falcons are flying over the King St. area simultaneously. The ever increasing flying ability of the oldest three chicks is really quite remarkable, especially in today's high winds; strong gusts were responsible for an accidental take off made by the inexperienced Chedoke, whose practice wing flapping turned into a flight from the Standard Life building to the Thomson Building. If you were to have checked the web cam around 14:30 you would have caught a glimpse of Peter who returned to the nest (image at left) for a little rest and reflection this afternoon. Ahh, Home, sweet home.

That he took off from the Thompson building , becasue that is where he landed after the wind blew him off.,and then was found and they noticed his wing, I am thinking he hurt it the day before and when he took off could not get height(becasue of wing). Just my thoughts

Positive vibes sent his way or here way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:51 pm 

Sorry to hear that Cheroke is away from his/her family, but glad he/she is in good hands & is expected to recover. Thanks for posting, Carly!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Ahhhhhhhhh...poor little Chedoke...but it sounds like he's gonna be ok....no wonder he didn't want to fledge...

here's the 7/1 update..

FOOD TRANSFERS - CHEDOKE UPDATE

July 1, 2010 - Falconwatch Coordinator Brad Asseltine reports: Peter, Henderson and Joseph celebrated their first Canada Day by continuing to improve their skills and increase their abilities. There were a number of aerial food exchanges today, with one or other chick taking food from an adult while both were flying, as well as a few regular style food drops. I'm beginning to think that the different food delivery methods aren't as much training for the chicks as they are survival tactics for the adults. The young ones are ferocious - and seemingly fearless - when it comes to trying to take food from their parents in mid-air. Today we also saw the three of them beginning to hunt, chasing potential prey in flight. It seemed like they were chasing anything that flew by. At one point a helicopter flew overhead and it looked as if Henderson was trying to chase that too. Henderson, I think you should stick to chasing birds for now!!

I know the question on everyone's mind is "How's Chedoke?" Well, Chedoke is currently staying at a rehabilitation facility while awaiting x-rays, which may take a few days to obtain. We're told that Chedoke is doing well and is as feisty as ever.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:24 pm 
Global Moderator

Thanks for that update, SGB. It's nice to read some "normal" falcon news for a change.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:59 am 

report from Hamilton

July 3, 2010 - Lead Monitor Audrey Gamble reports: Today was the first day of 'split shifts', watching the juveniles only during their most active periods in the early morning and the last few hours before dusk. This stage is always a big transition from knowing where the chicks are every minute of the day. While we have been focused on waiting for Chedoke to fly and keeping her safe, her siblings have advanced by leaps and bounds (literally). In the early morning Saturday they hunted ferociously, swooping into trees around the Board of Education building and even landing on a light standard on Bay Street. The heat of the day toned things down and it was well into the evening before we had all three youngsters in sight simultaneously. One spent the evening hunting with Madame X. Just as we were preparing to leave for the evening, this juvenile hunter returned to Standard Life with his trophy. We haven't actually seen a juvenile make a catch yet, but whether he caught it himself or took it from an adult, he did an awful lot of bragging about it.

July 4, 2010 - Falconwatch Coordinator Brad Asseltine reports: It is becoming increasingly difficult to actually "watch" the fledglings now that their daily escapades are taking them further and further from home. When they are in the neighbourhood, however, their skilful flight is very impressive and it's even more impressive knowing that it's only going to get better. On several occasions Sunday chicks were seen in hot pursuit of prey. Though there were some close calls, no captures were seen, so for the time being Madame X and Surge continue to provide the meals. We had more Peregrines in the trees again today, presumably chasing some opinionated Robins that have nests in the area and have been seen quite frequently scolding the Peregrines for getting too close for comfort. Unfortunately, for the Robins, I think that their valiant efforts are only leading the young falcons right where they don't want them to go.

Chedoke continues to rest comfortably and today's report is that she is eating; always a good sign.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:28 am 
Global Moderator

Thanks for posting those reports, bev. Interesting that they are now referring to Chedoke as "her." :smilesun:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:34 am 

I always said Cheroke was a female. they must have figured it out after rescuing her.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:30 pm 

Hi All!

I've been watching this cam for years and this morning when I checked in to read the updates I noticed Chedoke being referred to as a "she" everywhere and no explanation for it.

So I've spent the last hour googling key phrases like "falcons - hamilton - forum - discussion, etc." because I just NEEDED to find out what's going on!

Very happy I stumbled across the forum. I always wondered why they didn't have a link to a discussion group because I'm sure there are quite a few of us following this little family year after year! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:07 pm 
Global Moderator

:dancinggirls: Welcome to BCAW - we are so glad you found us!!

Please let us know if you have any questions Brat...

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next