Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: MISC. CANADIAN NESTS ~ 2010
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for those great pics, Alison!!! I have totally missed these kids growing up...it just seems like yesterday that I was sitting in front of the cam recording a hatch...gosh, where has this season gone!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:32 pm 

Red Deer

On July 20, all three chicks were in the nest, but when I checked the site the next day, the nest box was empty. All three chicks, named Scout, Telli and Nadira, had fledged.

An article on the chicks fledging:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:01 pm 

Thanks for posting the update, Alison!

Wow, this "cam" nesting season might not be over:

The naturalists group is looking for a secure webcam location where people can see the birds flying around in Red Deer. If there is anyone who has a good view of the nest box, they can call the naturalists at 403-347-8200.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:06 pm 

Red Deer

The youngest and smallest chick, Nadira, has been rescued after spending three days in a chimney stack:

A chick in the chimney

One of Red Deer’s juvenile peregrine falcons found himself in a tight situation Wednesday night.

Nadira, the youngest of the three raptors that hatched in the Telus tower nest, was rescued from the chimney of a Highland Green home in the late evening after spending an estimated three days in the smoke stack.

“He’s a little dehydrated, a little thin and a little bit darker than before because of the soot, but generally he’ll be OK,” said Carol Kelly, executive director of the Medicine River Wildlife Centre.

Centre staff will spend a few days getting Nadira’s weight back up and provide him with a bathing area so he can remove the excess soot himself, she said.

Judy Boyd, wildlife community liaison with the Medicine River Wildlife Centre, responded to the incident Wednesday and cared for the young falcon at her Red Deer home, which is a designated first aid station for the wildlife centre. Nadira was taken to the centre Thursday for a thorough examination.

“He seems OK,” she said.

“He’s feisty, he’s grabbing at us, he’s screaming at us.”

Boyd was not sure how Nadira ended up in the chimney of Lori and Kevin Stelmaschuk’s house, but noted the residence is very close to the tower where the birds hatched.

The Stelmaschuks first heard what Lori described as a scratching noise coming from the chimney on Monday.

After hearing the sound briefly on Tuesday and again on Wednesday, the couple decided to call for help to free what they assumed was a bat or squirrel.

Lori said they originally called Alberta Fish and Wildlife in Red Deer and were disappointed after they felt it was implied that they should leave the animal to die inside the stack.

“We just wanted it to get about and be able to live,” Lori said.

Chris Kelly, district officer of Fish and Wildlife in Red Deer, confirmed the couple called but said they were given options on how to get the animal out, such as to contact someone more familiar with chimneys or the wildlife centre.

The Stelmaschuks did contact Medicine River Wildlife Centre, a call which Boyd and a volunteer responded to around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday night.

Boyd said they also assumed the stuck animal was a bat but visuals from a camera positioned to look up the chimney showed it was a bird, which was believed to be a sparrow at first glance.

Once Nadira spread his wings, however, Boyd knew they weren’t dealing with a sparrow.

The young falcon was eventually freed around midnight, but Kevin and his neighbours Jeff Suitor and Johnny Willis had to remove the lining of the wood-burning fireplace and feed a hose down the chimney from the roof to help free Nadira in order for the rescue to happen.

“They’re kind of heros in my eyes,” Boyd said.

“Those guys were up on the roof dropping a hose down into their chimney when they thought it was a sparrow. Kudos to them. They really care. They weren’t just going to let this thing die.”

It’s not the first time Nadira has caused concern since hatching on June 13.

The runt caught the attention of worried individuals shortly after fledging from the nest as he decided to a break from flying and instead spent three days walking around under the Telus tower.

Kelly from the wildlife centre said she needs to connect with the Fish and Wildlife biologist in charge of threatened species to determine when Nadira will be released.

Boyd said anyone who sees a bird in distress should call the Medicine River Wildlife Centre at 403-728-3467.

I'm so glad Nadira was rescued; that is a long time to spend stuck in a chimney. I don't think much of the initial response by Red Deer Fish and Wildlife. :madsun:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:32 pm 

So glad the residents didn't give up after their first call & kept trying to get help for the critter stuck in their chimney. Kudos to them! Nadira is very lucky to have picked the chimney he did to get stuck in! :sunblink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

WOW...that is quite the story...and :thumbup to the residents who didn't give up until they found someone to help!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:50 pm 
Global Moderator

I really love this story, and thanks Alison for posting it. It helps restore our faith in mankind to read of these caring people who cared that a "sparrow" should live.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:02 am 

I also agree that these people are real gems.

I talked to a resident there, when I went to check out site earlier in the year. they seemed to have a genuine interest in these falcons and so I am glad if he needed rescuing, it was in this area. :smile: :smile:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:23 pm 

What a great story...thanks Alison!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:46 pm 

CANADA - PEREGRINE
FALCONS CONTINUE
UPWARD RISE IN POPULATION

A peregrine falcon named O'Connor was hatched at the Landmark Building in
Summit County, Ohio, and has now taken up residence at the William Osler
Health System in Rexdale

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:37 pm 

Great news--thanks, Kitten!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:47 pm 
Global Moderator

Nice article, KF, and don't you just love that picture? :flirty:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:09 pm 

SusanE wrote:
Nice article, KF, and don't you just love that picture? :flirty:

:loveshow: Oh yes isn't she gorgeous

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:28 pm 

Peterborough, Ontario

A pair of peregrines has taken up residence in Peterborough. I can't see any bands in the pic with the article, but I am wondering whether either bird is banded, and whether they might be birds we know.

Pair of peregrine falcons have made the bell tower of George Street United Church home

A pair of peregrine falcons have made the bell tower of George Street United Church home.

Head custodian Rob Steele first noticed that a pair of the endangered birds had taken up residence at the church last week.

He called the Ministry of Natural Resources who he says were quite surprised and happy the birds call Peterborough home. They only hope they return next year. Mr. Steele isn't surprised they chose the downtown church to live. It is the tallest church in the city which gives the birds a great vantage point to hunt in the city.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:30 pm 
Global Moderator

I love that picture. That falcon looks like he owns the city.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9