Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: MISC BIRDS ~ 2013 - 2015
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Please begin your 2013 Posts here!!!

This topic is reserved for Goshawks, Hobbies, Songbirds, Swifts, Vultures, Woodpeckers, etc. It is possible that one of these categories would warrant its own topic. If that does occur, one will be started.

This is also the topic area to share information/video/pics of the above mentioned species. Please PM (private message) me if you have questions, etc.

Post subject: Re: MISC BIRDS~2013
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:27 pm 

Learned something new today. I guess it's good to be snowed and frozen in. Bat Falcons

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:16 pm 
Global Moderator

Cheryl - Thanks for the video of the bat falcon family. We used to track a bat falcon that would appear the Panama Canal cam. We named the falcon "Webby" and tracked him for a couple of years, but we haven't seen this cute bat falcon lately (I do check in on occasion).

You can find lots of posts and pictures of Webby by clicking this link and scrolling to the middle of the page.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:47 pm 
Global Moderator

Webby :girlluv:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:28 pm 

Catbird wrote:
Cheryl - Thanks for the video of the bat falcon family. We used to track a bat falcon that would appear the Panama Canal cam. We named the falcon "Webby" and tracked him for a couple of years, but we haven't seen this cute bat falcon lately (I do check in on occasion).

You can find lots of posts and pictures of Webby by clicking this link and scrolling to the middle of the page.

Thanks Catbird. Very beautiful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:22 pm 

Lots of activity at the bird feeder.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:17 pm 
Unusual (to me) combination but fun! at that feeder, ljames...

Wanted to bring a piece of history back from "extinction" and here is a newer book on what extinct prey most likely formed our falcons incredible speed....but one never hear about....
A newer book
Title:
The Passenger Pigeon: Its History and Extinction
author
A.W. Schorger

Just as the cheetah and the gazelle formed to match speed....I believe the now extinct passenger pigeon formed alongside the peregrine as they were both "wanderers"....just my opinion... :wink:

(Book May be available at your local library)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:42 am 

Everybody in holding pattern around the birdfeeder this morning. They fill it about every other day, but it empties up pretty quickly.

Thanks for that info Matrix, interesting, I will look for that next time I go to the library.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:15 am 

Stole this from the Canton Audubon Society. Beautiful

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:23 am 

All these beautiful birds but I have to admit I'm partial to the bat falcon :teehee:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:30 pm 

Oh Cheryl, those little babies under her wings are totally precious. Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:10 pm 
Found out why I have no other birds at the suet feeders: :gaaaaah: :teehee:

"THE TYRANT"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:18 pm 
Global Moderator

Thanks for the great pictures, Cheryl and Matrix!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:42 pm 
Global Moderator

Great Blue Herons

They're back again live this year and have 3 eggs in the nest!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:54 pm 
Heard something(s) on the roof of my house this morning...so I go out to see what it was...There was a flapping of heavy wings over me...and I had to duck down!.... Apparentley a rabbit got hit on the road and the clean-up crew was posting sentinels on my roof...LOL....So I ran in to get the camera and caught these...

I need help ID ing the bird that is chasing the vulture...Is it a Shrike??? It is living in the giant weeping willow trees in the back yard....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:32 pm 
Global Moderator

Ostrich update from Pip's family...

September 6, 2013 Update.

~3 Ostrich Eggs, Due Saturday October 12, 2013

Pip passed away after one week of wonderful life on August 25, 2013 from complications of intestinal infection and retained yolk sac. Of course we were all devastated.

As part of our healing process, our family went a road trip to an ostrich ranch in central California. The rancher was incredibly nice, plainspoken, and spent a couple of hours with us, showing us around and explaining his way of raising these birds.

Although he does not sell fertile eggs to the public to be hatched, he was very understanding of our family’s loss, and gave us three eggs. He was reluctant to do this for us because he had some doubts about their viability, especially since it was the end of the season for laying and those eggs don’t usually do so well, and these were a bit small and one was misshapen. I said I would give it my best try.We went with three eggs because ostriches do better in groups, they are very social.

I showed him my new incubator that I built, (version 1.2 since I threw the original one away.) Basically a cardboard box, with a clothing rod with a sink basket bolted onto it so I did not have to open the box to turn the eggs. A heat lamp and a thermostat. He said he’s never seen anything like it, and thought it should work fine even though it was obviously rigged together from available parts around the house.

The countdown to 42 days begins when you put the eggs in the incubator, which I did on August 31, 2013 at 9 PM. This gives us an estimated hatched date of October 12, 2013.

My hope is that I could continue my journey, to watch ostrich chicks hatch and raise them until they were too big to be manageable at our home. I would have some nice places for them to go if we could no longer keep them. My top choice is the LA zoo since at this time they only have one ostrich, an older male with arthritis.

So I took some initial candling pictures, and tonight I took pictures of the candling for day four, and already I see progress. Unfortunately I still can’t determine which side has the air sac, so they will stay on their sides until they develop enough to show their air sac. If we get a Facebook page together for this new ostrich project, I will post the pictures and updates.

I found that taking the trip to the ostrich farm, building a new incubator, and getting to know these three new eggs has helped me feel better. It also eased my conscience when the experienced rancher advised me that I did not do anything wrong while raising Pip.

Link...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:40 pm 
Global Moderator

October 12 -Update-

Yesterday the egg on the far right, # 28, nicknamed for now “Miss Perfect” began to show internal movement. She pipped into the air cell (internal pipping), and you could see her head moving during candling. I do not like to candle for long because the light is so bright for her eyes. I oriented the egg so the head is facing the camera, so a crack (external pip) would be facing your view, about 1/3 the way down from the top of the egg.

I placed a microphone that is leaning on the egg, with the gain all the way up. Because of the fan in the hatcher there is a background hum. But you can hear occasional scratching, pecking and even a chirp, chortle or kick.

The other two eggs have not shown movement in the air cell, so they are a day behind. They are warm/ generating heat, so it’s OK, they are just behind schedule, which is very typical for eggs. It’s not as predictable as the weather.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:10 pm 

Here is the process on the eggs now. Dash helped Goofy on expert advice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:49 pm 

Goofy was the first to hatch (with help from Dash because of the misshapen, thick shell.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:06 pm 

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next