Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 995 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
 Post subject: Re: PANDAS ~ 2009/2010
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:11 pm 
Global Moderator

Monday, December 13 Update ...

Because it was so chilly this morning, I had the luxury of collecting data on Yang Yang from inside the building (he was in one of the dayrooms). As an added bonus, while I collected data, I also got to watch the cub for an hour. For the first few minutes Lun rested with the cub on her forearm, which gave me a great view of him. Soon, though, Lun went into the adjacent den to eat and left the cub to rest by himself in the nest box. He was quiet the entire time, but certainly wasn’t still. As the keepers have reported, he’s doing a lot of stretching and flexing, so when the time his right, he can begin scooting across the floor with purpose. I find that giant panda cubs are most entertaining once they begin to walk, but there’s something nice about this stage, too. It’s similar to the stage that human infants go through before they learn to crawl. Just like with human parents and infants, it’s easier now for Lun, because the cub can’t go too far too quickly. Once he becomes mobile, Lun will have more to keep track of as he begins to test his environment.
Megan Wilson, Ph.D.
Assistant Curator of Mammals

Sunday, December 12 Update ...

There has been nothing too exciting to report in the last few days that I have seen. I am sure it was mentioned in years past, but I often hope that either Lun or the cub does something to give me a good update. Well, I have been waiting but neither wants to cooperate for my benefit. Lun continues to eat well, as noted by her eating over 5.5 kg of bamboo last night. This number will continue to increase as she spends more time away. She typically can be relied on to eat 7-8 kg, if not more, if she likes the bamboo. The cub is still typically quiet, while Lun is eating. Unless he is on his back. There are guaranteed to be some loud vocalizations if that occurs. Hopefully by my next update, Lun or the cub will give me a good idea to write about.
Joseph T. Svoke
Carnivore Keeper III

Saturday, December 11 Update ...

Lun Lun is starting to spend significantly more time away from her cub. She sometimes spends this time away eating as has been described in previous updates. But in the last few days she has also spent some of her time away resting. This is normal behavior. Lun Lun did this with her other cubs at around the same age. Wild giant pandas mothers have to spend time away from their cubs traveling to bamboo feeding sites and consuming bamboo. Lun Lun only has to travel a few feet to reach her bamboo, but she still spends time away. The cub doesn't need her to stay warm anymore and he is normally quiet while she is away. I think it is good for him to have this time alone, because it's normal for giant panda cubs to be alone for increasingly longer stretches of time. In the next couple of weeks, I expect Lun Lun to start to become a little restless about being confined to two dens. Then we know it's time to give her more space. We start by giving her access to another den farther away from the cub. Then we begin giving her access to one of the indoor exhibit rooms. Lun Lun will gradually increase the amount of time she spends away from her cub, but she will still check on him regularly and continue to keep him clean and well-fed.
Rebecca Snyder, PhD
Curator of Mammals

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:18 pm 
Global Moderator

Beth - Thanks for posting all the daily updates. The little cubbie is so cute, especially now that he has his black markings against the white fur.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: "U SEE WILDLIFE " CAM ~ 2009/2010
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:27 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:38 am 

Fast Speed.LOL amazing watching them, How do you show that instead of the link the way I do it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:40 am 
Global Moderator

Wednesday, December 15 Update ...

We all know that Xi Lan is a superstar, but did you know that he is also a star pupil? Indeed, he is! And to prove it, he allowed vet tech, Sharon to draw his blood last Thursday. Sharon and I were so excited and proud of Xi Lan! We were able to get blood on the first try! Xi Lan stayed focused on me and did not react to the needle stick this time and held his position without moving for us to get enough blood for testing. Even after Sharon extracted the needle, Xi Lan kept his forearm in the blood draw sleeve. He got lots of rewards from both Sharon and me, during and after the training session. We will continue working with Xi Lan often so that he does not forget the behavior. This behavior is important because it allows our vet staff to check the pandas’ health without sedating them. Yang Yang, Lun Lun, Mei Lan and now Xi Lan have all mastered the blood draw behavior. In a couple of years, I am sure one of us will be bragging about our new cub once he also learns this valuable behavior.
Heather Baker Roberts
Carnivore Keeper II

Tuesday, December 14 Update ...

Lun Lun continues to spend more time away from the cub, not only to eat but also to rest. This evening Lun sat up without the cub, then rested against the nestbox. The cub was cute. As soon as he realized that Lun wasn’t there, he started to vocalize and wiggle his way to his mother. I was mentally joking to myself that he was saying “mom, mom, come back, mom, mom, where are you I need you” as he edged ever closer to her. He probably moved about two body lengths to get there, and may have slightly startled Lun. She seemed surprised that the cub was touching her on her rump, but willingly turned around to take care of his needs. After he was settled, Lun went off to get some bamboo.
Joseph T. Svoke
Carnivore Keeper III

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:31 am 

two more links in youtube
3 Bucks Dec 16; http://www.youtube.com/user/eiguoc#p/u/1/niDEfLDwBrk
and right above it is a video of poor dear Brahma. I wish someone would help him or put him out of his misery. heart wrenching

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 pm 

eiguoc wrote:
Fast Speed.LOL amazing watching them, How do you show that instead of the link the way I do it?

I don't know how that happened it just came up that way
I used that debut recording thing and put it thru moviemaker then it went fast.
I don't know how tho I'm suprised the sound didn't mess up
:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:53 am 

from Bird Point
early morning beauty
I think this is a juvie golden, not very sure
he's mantelling
From Lost Field. This IS a golden, when the heads like that it's easy. He's on Daggers carcass

Some more new video's
http://www.youtube.com/user/eiguoc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:23 pm 

Great pics--especially the sunrise! Thanks, Pat!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:44 pm 
Global Moderator

Saturday, December 18 Update...

During the vet check on Thursday, I was able to see the cub up close for the first time. For the previous exams, I stayed with Lun Lun to make sure she was okay while her cub was away. It's always surprising to me how much bigger giant panda cubs appear in human hands compared to when they are with their mothers. He is still very small compared to Lun Lun, but when the vet is holding him he looks much bigger. His fur has become much thicker and looks fuzzy now. It will continue to grow longer and more wooly over the next several weeks. He was quiet and calm during the exam, but he did lunge forward on the table once. He will likely do more of this when he can see better. As he gets bigger, he might be more vocal and feisty during exams. His older siblings did. Lun Lun was very calm while he was away. I'm not even sure she realized he was gone. She used the time to have a big meal. She went right to him when we opened the door between the dens, picked him up, licked him, and then they had a nap.
Rebecca Snyder, PhD.
Curator of Mammals

Friday, December 17 Update ...

On Thursday, the cub had his weekly physical exam by the vet staff. He weighs 1748 grams, which is a 28% increase in body weight from last week! His other measurements are as follows: Tip of nose to tip of tail: 42.5 cm.; tail length: 5.5 cm.; neck girth: 23 cm.; chest girth: 32.5 cm.; abdominal girth: 36 cm. The cub is growing so quickly! Before we know it, both eyes will be open and he will be trying to crawl out of the nest box.
Heather Baker Roberts
Carnivore Keeper II

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:00 pm 

Thanks, Beth! :flirty:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:51 pm 
Global Moderator

Monday, December 20 Update ...
:loveheart2:

Our little cub is growing quickly, but so is his big brother, Xi Lan. Xi Lan’s current weight range is 55 to 59 kg. He is also noticeably longer and taller. After a leisurely summer he has hit a growth spurt. When the cool weather hits, panda appetites increase. The pandas come out of their sleepy summer lethargy and eat, and eat, and eat. Both Xi Lan and Yang Yang are tucking into their bamboo with vigor. This is reflected in their evening weights which are significantly higher than their morning weights. Xi Lan is 2-3 kg heavier in the evening and Yang Yang is 5-10 kg heavier. Lun Lun also has her full appetite back and is eating with her usual gusto.

Given the cub is doing so well and life is returning to normal for the giant pandas and keepers, we will revert to our previous schedule of providing updates on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday starting this week.
Heather Baker Roberts
Carnivore Keeper II

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:50 am 

Am watching lil cubbie really work his back legs. He has turned completely around and is just the most adorable. I am going to miss the daily updates from the keepers, but it is nice that Lun is leaving him for long periods so I can get my panda fix!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:24 pm 

Got these yesterday of a juvie sunning him/her self and watch
the crows poor thing they were trying to get it to leave but it kept its branch :shockedsanta:

Imagehow to make a gif

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:42 am 

Coyote at Lost Field

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:34 pm 

Kittenface & catwoman Glad your catching the yotes & eagles
OK I can't seem to be able to copy the link to my pics, They of course changed things around. I'll figure it out . I end up with a red X in the boxes on the right
For now a link to some videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/eiguoc

eagle which I think is a 1 year, 2nd mold bald. I;m waiting to get corrected

the mangey yote from earlier

healthier yote

Weird. I can only use Firefox to do this. Something sure changed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:37 pm 

Here is another coyote at Lost Field. It isn't mangy looking, so maybe the first one I got is on the young coyote that Pat has been wanting to see.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:42 pm 

are you having problems using IE with Photobucket?or are you using FF. OK I figured it out. On IE it goes the long way about it Like I'm going to remember with my memory leakage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:31 pm 

You sure can see a big difference in those wolves & I think you are right on the
eagles.I'm not having any problems anywhere right now but I'm sure I will soon its
been a few days now since I did so I'm due. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:07 pm 

Kitten; those are coyotes. I have been hoping to see the black yote that showed up earlier in the fall. I'd love to be able to see him instead of just a pic

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 995 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next