Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: PANDAS ~ 2016
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:39 pm 

gigi wrote:
Lun Lun is gently moving her paw up and down in a rocking motion. Wish I could capture movies....

:7val: Soooo precious!

(I also wish I knew how to video...(I can only 'take' one picture at a time, and that's a struggle! :girlcrazy: )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:10 pm 

I can't even do that! :girlsad3:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:20 pm 
Global Moderator

:flirty: Wonderful photos!! Thank you...

Saturday, September 10

So I came back from my weekend, and I am amazed in just that short amount of time how much these cubs have grown. I always forget how much time flies with the cubs and how fast they change. They now have a lot more hair and are gaining weight steadily. It's also funny to watch the way they sleep in the incubators; both cubs like to sleep differently. Cub A likes to eventually sleep on its side all nestled under the blankets, which is too cute for words, and Cub B likes to sleep outside the blankets and elevated. Well, I guess we all have particular ways we like to sleep, and it's true too even for small baby pandas!

Katie G., Keeper III, Mammals

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:26 pm 
Global Moderator

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:01 pm 

Beth wrote:

Oh My Goodness! :7val: :1val: :7val:
Thanks, Beth!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:07 pm 

DoxieMom got a video of Lun Lun nursing her baby.
So sweet. :5val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:28 pm 

:5val: Panda Update - minus the precious pic:

Monday, September 12
The time has arrived! If you look closely, you now can see that the panda twins are starting to show their coloring. Take a look at the ears, eyes, and front shoulders, and you can see where the coloring is starting to show. Each day they are looking more and more like giant pandas!
Katie G.
Keeper III, Mammals

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:01 pm 
Global Moderator

:7val:
Here is the pic Swinwk...9/12

Cute-cute!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:24 pm 

:loveheart: Starting to see a little black saddle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:03 pm 

I thought these pics from the ZA cam page were adorable.
Check out that round belly! :loveheart2:

Photos by Zoo Atlanta
(Cub A photo, top, by Heather R.; Cub B photo by Jennifer A.)

"Tuesday, September 13
The cubs are officially 10 days old! At this point, the cubs are growing and changing constantly. As each keeper returns from our days off, we are all awestruck at how different the cubs look after just two days away. Since we are on the brink of having some mini pandas on our hands, I wanted to take a second and share a timeline of the big developmental milestones we will see over the next month and when we expect to see each one.

Day 6-10: Skin on eyes, ears, arms, legs and saddle begin to darken. The darkening of fur in these areas will follow. The cubs' fur will begin to grow longer and thicker.
Day 25: Cubs will be fully-furred and have all the distinctive giant panda markings.
Day 31-50: Ears open.
Day 35-49: Eyes begin to open. Eyes are not fully open until 72-76 days.

Cub B has a darker saddle right now than Cub A, which other than weight, is the easiest way to identify the cubs right now. We still have a long way to go, but our new little family is doing great!
Jennifer A.
Keeper II, Mammals
"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:57 am 
Global Moderator

:loveheart2:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:50 am 
Site Admin

:smile:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:04 am 

:loveheart2: :5val: :loveheart:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:04 pm 

From FB.

"Bear" with us! We're having technical issues with PandaCam. We're working to resolve the issue - thanks for your patience! All is well with the #ZAPandas."

All pics from Zoo Atlanta Facebook page :loveheart:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:44 pm 

:5val: Panda updates minus some outstanding photos:

Friday, September 16
Happy Friday from the nursery! It has been a week since I have seen these little twins, and I am always impressed with how quickly they are growing and getting their nice black coloring. Before we know it they will look like full-on pandas. The tiny ball of fur version, of course. As I am writing this I am very distracted by our cameras where I can watch the hilarious antics of the twins’ older siblings. Mei Lun and Mei Huan were battling it out on the top of the structure in Dayroom One to see which panda could hold onto the top spot the longest. It looked like Mei Lun was losing. But I digress. Back to nursery life! Lun's appetite is continuing to come back, and this week she is choosing to culm the bamboo we are offering her. That means that she is preferring to eat the stalk rather than the leaves. During feedings we also offer some of her biscuits and produce, all of which she loves. Sometimes she will try to get biscuits and produce without eating her bamboo. Today we enjoyed a big laugh when I offered her a piece of bamboo, and she threw it away and looked at me for a biscuit. She needs to eat the bamboo to help with her digestion, so I gave her the hand signal for "bamboo" and asked her to go eat some. She knows that if she does this she will then get a biscuit. She promptly sat up, found her discarded bamboo, and ate it eagerly. Followed up, of course, by a biscuit.
Jenny E.
Lead Keeper, Carnivores

Thursday, September 15
By now the cubs have gotten big enough to be able to see on PandaCam, but they do still hide either when nursing from Lun Lun or napping under mom’s chin. In the case of the photo of Lun Lun with Cub A, peeking out from Lun’s belly. I personally can’t believe how quickly they are growing and am so excited to see them each morning. In just 12 short hours they have gotten bigger and darker, slowly looking more and more like pandas (and less like naked mole rats). To answer a few of the common questions I’ve been getting: the yellow cords you see in some of the incubator pictures are temperature sensors. Because giant panda cubs get cold so easily, we closely monitor the temperature and humidity inside the incubators and the body temperature of each cub. We also weigh them, a lot! To ensure they are getting enough milk from Lun Lun we weigh them when they go in with mom and on their way out. Cub A (pictured here) is still a little smaller than Cub B, but catching up fast. Never a dull day in the nursery!
Stephanie B.
Curator of Mammals

Wednesday, September 14
Greetings from the "other side!” While the nursery keepers and vet staff (and mom Lun Lun) are busy bees caring for the these new little nuggets, those of us taking care of the "other pandas" have been having nice, relaxing days. With only two groups of pandas, and those pandas wanting to only eat the leaves off the bamboo, routine has been pretty easy. So much so that we've had extra time to spend on cleaning, enrichment and my never-ending side projects. We also make sure we train and socialize with the pandas every day since we've been housing them all in the dayrooms overnight. Why, you ask? Well, easy-peasy as things are, we're a little cramped back here since the front of the building is being used by the panda nursery team. So, it's easier to keep our one off-habitat den clean and empty all the time when servicing the bears. But, while that makes routine easier, Heather and Shauna (who work the night-owl nursery shifts) have been going through a bit of withdrawal not seeing these pandas. So, to change things up, we randomly house someone in an off-habitat area overnight for a change of scenery, and so they get a little extra attention when the nursery keepers pass by on their quest for fresh bamboo for Lun. For the "other pandas,” life is pretty much status quo ... but I'm looking forward to my turn working some nursery shifts!
Jen W.
Keeper III, Mammals

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:57 pm 

:5val: Panda Updates

Saturday, September 17
The twins are 2 weeks old! Whew! Even though Lun Lun and the panda team successfully reared twins three years ago, it really is an amazing feat that we have made it this far. Giant panda cubs are the most altricial young for any placental mammal. Caring for them is very intensive and time-consuming, for everyone involved! I'm sure Lun Lun would agree that they require lots of time and energy. But of course, all the work is worth the end result.
Heather R.
Keeper III, Mammals

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:42 pm 
Global Moderator

Many thanks Swinwk---- :1val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:54 pm 
Global Moderator

9/17 Panda Update photo...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:04 am 

:flirty: Beth, can you bring the "stretch and yawn and I don't have any cares in the world" photo over too? :teehee:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:08 am 

I am not Beth, but here it is! :5val:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 525 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 27  Next