Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: OUR LOVABLE KITTIES ~ 2011
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:26 am 

Sweet pics of Freya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:40 pm 

Cat Behavior - Understanding Felinese

We love our cats but don't always understand cat communication. Our feline friends use a combination of vocalizations, body language and smells to talk with each other and their special people. Here are 12 ways cats communicate.

1. Meows: These are rarely aimed at other cats. Instead meows are requests pointed at humans. For example, cats meow to be petted, for you to open the door or for you to wake up and fill their bowls. The more demanding Kitty becomes, the lower the pitch of the meow.

2. Purrs: These vocalizations signal nonthreat. A cat's purr has been described as a feline smile, and cats purr in the presence of other pets and humans. Purrs often express happiness.

3. Hisses: Keep your distance if you hear a hiss. Cats hiss at other pets and people. Hisses can be defensive or offensive, and arise from frightened or hostile felines.

4. Growls: This is a serious warning from a cat that an attack may be coming. Hisses that don't succeed turn to growls when the cat can't escape.

5. Chattering: This odd sound indicates frustration. Cats that watch critters through the window may chatter when unable to reach the evil squirrels.

6. Spit: This not-so-pleasant communication is the equivalent of a feline gasp of surprise.

7. Body Position: These movements indicate attitude. Confident cats face forward, while fearful cats stand sideways with arched backs to look larger than they really are. Defensive or submissive cats want to look small and nonthreatening, so they crouch low, with feet tucked, and ears and tail held close to the body. Cats show trust by placing themselves in vulnerable postures such as rolling.

8. Fur Position: The hair on a cat can telegraph emotional state. Fur is smooth in relaxed cats. Any kind of arousal -- fear, aggression, happiness, stress -- may prompt fluffed fur that stands straight off the body. For instance, you'll see a bottle brush tail when kitty becomes excited.

9. Ear Position: The ears of relaxed and interested cats face forward. Ears turn sideways in uneasy cats. Fearful kitties hold ears sideways like airplane wings. Ears that flicker back and forth very quickly indicate great agitation. The cat slicks his ears tight to the head in preparation for attack. Cats with one ear forward and one sideways aren't clear how they feel.

10. Eye Reactions: They dilate suddenly (pupils go from slits to round) any time the cat feels sudden excitement. That arousal might be anything from the sight of a dog to a bowl of favorite food or a feather toy. Cat stares indicate a challenge. Squinting shows strong emotion and possibly impending attack. But a slow eye-blink to other cats or people signals nonthreat and is known as a "kitty kiss" when aimed at people.

11. Tail Position: While these vary somewhat between cats, a tail held straight up, with just the end tipped over, is a feline "howdy" that signals to other cats and people a friendly greeting -- it means kitty wants to interact with you. Relaxed cat tails are held in a gentle U, and the greater his interest, the higher the cat holds his tail. Tails tucked between the legs or wrapped around the crouched body show fear. The end of the tail flicking back and forth indicates frustration that may progress to tail-thumping wags that warn of imminent attack. A bottle-brush tail held straight up or behind the cat shows aggression, but if it's held in an inverted U it is a defensive posture.

12. Rubbing/Scratching Behavior: When cats rub against you or scratch objects they are leaving the equivalent of scented Post-It notes. Scent glands in the forehead, cheeks, paw pads and tail leave behind the kitty's signature scent. Cats rub or scratch to mark territory as owned -- including scent-marking a beloved human with cheek rubs.

Understanding cat vocabulary can help you become more attuned to what your cat has to say. But every cat is different, so pay attention to what your favorite feline does. Some cats develop their own way of communicating -- a particular meow, for example -- the same way people who speak the same language may have different regional accents. Watch your own kitty to learn the way he or she talks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:38 am 
Global Moderator

Thank you kitten. I especially like the slow eye-blink "kitty kiss". My cats do that but I misunderstood. I figured they found me too boring. Now I know better.

And here's one now, climbing over the keyboard and burring. Sweet girl!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:06 am 

Mick wrote:
Thank you kitten. I especially like the slow eye-blink "kitty kiss". My cats do that but I misunderstood. I figured they found me too boring. Now I know better.
I had never heard of that either, but really Mick, I am sure the kitties do find us quite boring too! :laugh2 :laugh Thanks Kitten for 'splainin all the kitty mysteries!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:23 am 

Callie & Buttons do that "chatter anytime there's a bug on the window, sQuirrel outside our balcony screen, Buttons sound is really loud compared to callie. The eye sQuint ,Me & Callie will do it back & forth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:48 am 

Interesting tips, Kitten! Of course, I recognize many of the methods of communication! :smile:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:48 pm 
Global Moderator

The latest Maru video. These folks crack me up!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:10 pm 

:hahah I hope they clone this cat. Maru is so silly and enjoyable! Thank you Mick!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:20 pm 
Global Moderator

Loved it, Mick. I needed the laugh. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:29 am 

:lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:26 am 

Great Mick that is one sweet cat :smile:
Heres a oldie but goodie

How to Give a Cat a Pill
1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat’s mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse in from the garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail. Get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans and drink one Coke to take taste away. Apply band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another Coke. Place cat in cupboard, and close door onto neck, to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire department to retrieve the cat from the top of the tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Using heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed, tie the little bitch's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of filet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour two pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room. Sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat from heck and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How To Give A Dog A Pill
1. Wrap it in bacon.
2. Toss it in the air.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:34 am 

You are right! Oldie but goodie! Thanks for the laugh kf! :laugh

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:09 pm 

With my dog you don't even need the bacon. Anything tossed in the air is immediately snatched and consumed! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:33 pm 

Sounds like my dogs too! :hahah

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:44 pm 

There are so many variation on How to pill a cat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:02 pm 
Global Moderator

eiguoc wrote:
There are so many variation on How to pill a cat

True, but I love them all and never get tired of reading them. The version Kitten posted had some new stuff - like calling the pet shop to see if they have any hamsters at the end - that kept me laughing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:13 pm 

Dusty the Cat Burglar - literally!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:08 am 

I just watched that last Saturday, it was on Animal Planet's new show about a man traveling all over the USA to find cats of all kinds it is a very cute show

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:56 am 

Since I hardly ever watch Animal Planet [and I should change that!], I am so happy that Dusty found his way to YouTube so I can enjoy the silliness! :smile:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:17 am 

. I saw that on the news about that cat. Unbelievable. Something from one of my facebook friends
http://animal.discovery.com/videos/must ... -kids.html

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next