Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 536 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Berry College 2020
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:09 pm 

:15heartbeat: I'm not sure gigi. To me even though in a normal season his time is less than hers on the eggs in a 24 hour period, he does have experience on the eggs none the less. I assume you mean whether they peep, move or none of the previous. But, the 1 egg never peeped or moved as there was not an eaglet in it and the other one we may never know, unless it breaks and there is nothing in it. I have not checked in a few days, but I know both Shadow and Jackie were continuing to care for their eggs past the due date range.
There was a cam re-set at about noon, but in scanning the DVR, I do not see that anybody has returned to the egg in this time period.

Edit to add at 13:15; I just found this on the chat here:

When I asked Berry about how long Dad might incubate, they suggested contacting AEF.
Here is their response. "Unfortunately there is not set time frame/answer for how long the parent will continue to incubate the egg(s). We have had parents sit on non viable eggs 2-3 weeks (some even longer) after they should have had a hatch. The parents will eventually go back to life as normal. Very sorry to hear what's happening at Berry."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:25 pm 

Thanks for your perspective, SWINWK!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:40 pm 

Pa is leaving more and more, sometimes for just a short period and sometimes longer. this is a good thing. :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:41 pm 

:15heartbeat: Your welcome, gigi! As of 1:40 pm, nobody has returned to the egg that I could see, scanning the DVR. At 1:44, Pa returns to the left branch and in a bit scoots down that branch to the nest and then the bowl where he makes adjustments to the fluff, then snuggles over the egg and more adjustments to the fluff. He remains in this position as I leave at 2:25. At 2:44; Pa gets off the bowl and stands a moment the back to the egg changing position over it and down over the egg and he brought fluff toward himself. At 2:57, Pa got off the egg, up to the left branch and flew as Ma is arriving on the nest. She looked down at the coot and flew out the rear of the nest at 2:58. Pa arrives to the rear of the nest at 2:59 and begins to de-feather the possible wing remains of the coot. Then he tears and eats, de-feathers and tears and eats. I think he polished that off, picked up another piece started to nibble a little, but let it go and flew out the front of the nest up and over the left rail. He returned to the rear rail at 3:06 and went to the bowl, rolled the egg, snuggled over it, brought fluff to his chest and settles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:17 pm 

I hav3e gotten permission to share some photos with you of ma berry with that coot yesterday , carrying it over the lake,and a juvenile who wanted it but just sat and watched her eat. she must have got tired of it watching , that she brought it to the nest.

when I get home I will post them , and then will not be around much. Tic Tac Toe does not work for me, and we are getting ready to pack.

Have watched this site since the cams went up. have always loved this pair the most, :7val: :7val: :7val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:45 pm 

bev. wrote:
I hav3e gotten permission to share some photos with you of ma berry with that coot yesterday , carrying it over the lake,and a juvenile who wanted it but just sat and watched her eat. she must have got tired of it watching , that she brought it to the nest.

when I get home I will post them , and then will not be around much. Tic Tac Toe does not work for me, and we are getting ready to pack.

Have watched this site since the cams went up. have always loved this pair the most, :7val: :7val: :7val:

Bev, Tic Tac Toe may not work for you. But I can understand where documented facts might be upsetting when they are not in line with your conclusions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:51 pm 

:15heartbeat: Pa continues over the egg as I leave at 3:50. Pa off the eggs at 4:09 and he stood for a bit, then up to the left branch and flew in the next minute. He returned to the rear rails at 4:12 and then to the bowl where he shimmies down over the egg and makes his adjustments. Up again at 4:15, when he turns and flies out the rear. He returned to the rear at 4:16 and was alerting and looking around, then turned and flew within seconds. Nobody has returned as I leave at 5:06. Ma flew over the left limb and landed on the rear of the nest at 5:33, soon she began eating some of the coot remains. Then she stood for awhile before flying up to the left branch and away at 5:45. Nobody has returned to the nest as I leave at 6:00. At the end of the 6:30 minute, you can actually see Pa lift off from a tree in the far, upper right corner of the screen and land on the rear of the nest. Ma can also be seen in this same area. Pa begins to eat from the coot remains. He went to the left rail and found more to eat as Ma flaps her wings and up to a different branch in the background tree. Pa to the egg at 6:35 that he partially rolls, snuggles over, adjusts his fluff. You can see Ma flying from the back and landing on the rear nest at 6:53. Pa got up, rolled the egg several times, aerated in the bowl while Ma observed him. then he was vocal and got back down over the egg and snuggled. At 6:55, Ma plucks at her talon on the left foot and Pa gets off the egg, up to the right branch and flies. Ma leans over the bowl, aerates and moves fluff over the egg, obscuring it from this view. She aerates some more, then reaches over and pulls more fluff over the egg. She aerates some more, then takes a step back. She turned and flew out the rear at 7:00! I think Ma has spoken in the eagle way!! Pa arrived at 7:02 to the rear of the nest, then he moved to the bowl and rolled the egg a couple times till it came back in our view from the nest cam, he started to snuggle the egg, but came back up and rolled it 2-3 more times and down to snuggle it again. Up slightly to give the eggs a couple more taps, pulls some fluff out of the bowl and places it outside of the bowl. And back down once again to snuggle over the egg. Another position change at 7:15. And another position change at 7:18. Pa continues over the egg as I leave at 7:48. I went back to see if Ma had actually covered the whole egg using the overhead cam and she had not, it was only partially covered with fluff and only out of our view from the nest cam.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:39 pm 

donna put on you tube so it could be shared

2020 02 27: Mom flew in and, after Dad left, Mom made a first attempt to bury the non-viable almost 44-day old egg by covering it with some fluff and digging around it. She left shortly after and then Dad showed back up, ready to incubate. He pushes the fluff around and gets back on the egg. (Video is slightly edited, but still almost 10 mins long.) I uploaded this to Youtube so it could be shared if wanted: https://youtu.be/75qwJB24w5M

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:58 pm 

:15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:04 pm 

:15heartbeat: Pa returned to the nest and got over the egg at 7:00 pm for the night.

Today's nest activities:

6:52 Ma arrives and Pa got off the eggs and flew.
6:57 Ma flies to the left branch, then away.
6:59 Pa arrives to the rear, then goes to the egg and snuggles over and brings fluff to his chest.
7:46 Pa gets off the egg and flies out of the nest over the left branch.
7:48 Pa returns and picks up a stray stick from the nest floor and places toward the front rail. Then he gets over the egg and brings fluff to his chest.
9:52 Ma arrives and spreads some fluff that is already on the floor around. Pa to the right branch and flies. Then she quit working and stood.
10:04 Ma flies to the left branch, then out.
10:41 Pa arrives to the rear of the nest, then to the egg, he snuggles down over it and brings in the fluff to his chest.
10:44 He changes position, rolls the egg, aerates the bowl, rotates his position again, then brings the fluff toward him.
11:14 Position change with egg roll, then shimmies down over it. Re-positions again and brings fluff toward his chest.
11:18 Position change, aerates bowl, snuggles down, brings fluff toward his chest.
11:46 Position change, aerates bowl, snuggles down, fluff to chest.
12:32 Position change
, egg roll x 2, fluff to chest.
12:35 Position change, egg roll, snuggles over it. He sees stick too near the bowl and reaches out and pushes it further away.
12:59 Pa gets off the egg and flies out of the nest over the left branch.
1:01 Pa returns to the rear rails and is vocal.
1:02 Ma returns to the nest just to the right of him and Pa flies to the left branch and out. Ma stood for awhile. She moved a little fluff around on the floor of the nest, then stood. She started to aerate the bowl, but stopped and stood for a bit.
1:25 Ma moves into position and flies out of the nest over the left branch.
1:57 Pa returns to the rear of the nest with prey remains. He stood a couple minutes looking around.
1:59 Pa to the egg and rolls it twice. Ma arrives to the rear and claims the prey remains. Pa snuggles down over the egg. Ma struggles a bit, but finally gets her right foot on the prey and is able to hold it in place while she tears and eats.
2:01 Pa gets up and to the left branch and flies.
2:04 Something outside of the nest has Ma's attention for a couple of minutes, then she nibbles on the prey again, then back to watching.
2:09 She flies up to the left branch, then out.
2:16 Pa flies in from the left side of the nest to the rear. He works on a wayward stick, then to the egg to snuggle down and bring fluff to his chest.
2:45 Position change with egg roll x 2, snuggle down and brings fluff toward his chest.
2:47 Position change, snuggle, fluff.
2:54 Position change, preens chest feathers, egg roll, aerates bowl, rotates, aerates bowl, settles and brings fluff to chest.
4:11 Ma arrives to the rear of the nest. Pa gets off the egg and flies to the right branch and away. Ma starts to nibble on the leftovers, then stopped. She stand awhile and then preens. Stands awhile and then preens some more. She nibbles and works on the prey. She downs a foot, then she downs a large strand of the prey remains.
5:00 She is feaking on the rails. She stood more, preened more, then stood more.
6:21 Ma flies to the left branch and out a minute later.
6:40 Ma returns to the rear and then goes to the bowl. She aerates in and around the bowl. She found the remnants of the egg shell with liner and picks it up and drops it a couple of times.
6:46 Ma goes to the rear of the nest and flies out.
7:00 Pa arrives to the rear of the nest, then to the egg and shimmies down over it for the night.
8:10 Pa is asleep with his head tucked.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:39 am 

:teehee: Pa was asleep with his head tucked when Ma flew in at 6:55 and startled him awake. Pa was very vocal when he got off the egg and flew out the rear. Ma stood there till she flew to the left branch, then away at 7:22. I keep hoping Pa will quit caring for the egg, which could be later today or might not be for days or weeks! Wish this egg would crack and fall apart as the 1st egg did, so Pa can move on.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:12 am 

:15heartbeat: Pa returned at 6:28 and got on the egg for the night. He and Ma behaved today pretty much as they have been except I don't remember them eating anything on the nest. There were a couple times that Pa was off the nest for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Each time he left for these long periods, Ma was on the nest, but eventually left as she usually does without his returning. At about 6:23 while Ma was aerating in and around the bowl, it looked as if she had buried the egg from the main cam, but on the overhead you could see she didn't. Pa got it in view for us on the main cam again when he came in for the night. Interestingly, from the ground crew report this morning, when Pa left at 10:57 he landed next to Ma on her perch! But he went back to the nest in 2-3 minute and then Ma flew toward the river. But just a few short minutes later at 11:07, Pa flew toward the river and he did not return for 1 hour. Also they reported a juvie was flying in and around the area and Ma had been giving chase. And when she was on her perch, she was on guard duty!! :flirty:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:18 pm 

:15heartbeat: Pa spent the whole night on the egg and their day started with Ma's arrival to the nest at 6:43. Pa flew out, but she only stayed about 4 minutes. He returned a minute after she left, went to the egg and surprisingly in awhile he went back to sleep with his head tucked. Then they went back and forth as they have in previous days. Pa arrived to the nest with a nice fish at 11:35. He stood on it for several minutes waiting for Ma to come in and claim, but she didn't, so he went to the egg. Finally he got up at 2:56 and went to the fish and noticed a really big fly or other insect flying about his fish and following it with his beak, he nailed it on the nesting material of the floor of the nest and stood up and ate it! He tried to get another one, but it looked as if he missed. He went back to the egg, but up again at 3:32 and decided to eat some of the fish before going back to the egg. He left again when Ma came in at 4:41 to the left branch that she scooted down toward the nest, but stood there till 6:59 when she decided to eat the fish Pa had brought in earlier. Pa flew in at this same time to the left branch, but flew a couple minutes later without coming onto the nest. Ma finished off the fish and flew at 7:06 and Pa came in a minute later and to the egg for the night.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:34 am 

:15heartbeat: Today started with Pa off the egg and vocal as he flew off at 6:53. Though out of sight, you could still hear his vocals and he returned at 6:56. Ma showed up to the nest at 6:59 and Pa left again a minute later. Ma stood there almost 20 minutes before flying. Pa back to the egg a couple minutes after Ma left and stayed during the rains for several hours until 1:45. The bowl around the eggs is very dry compared to the rest of the nest and surroundings. He returned a couple minutes later. And the rest of the day, Ma would return and Pa would leave. She made a stick delivery one visit and a wet fluff delivery another. She did some aeration work. Today she only nibbled on whatever she brought up during aeration or found on the nest floor near the prey pile. She made several visits in the late afternoon and early evening with Pa coming and going as he usually does. But he didn't return after Ma flew at 5:30 and she came back again for a couple minutes at 6:17 and he didn't return within a minute or two as he usually does. Finally he returned at 6:55 and went to the egg for the night. Then at 12:24 Pa went to the left branch and flew out. He returned at 12:39 and went to the egg. Wonder where Pa went for 15 minutes this late at night?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:22 am 

SWINWK wrote:
:15heartbeat: ...Then at 12:24 Pa went to the left branch and flew out. He returned at 12:39 and went to the egg. Wonder where Pa went for 15 minutes this late at night?
Pa's little secret! :biggrin:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:11 pm 

:teehee: I'm starting to act like his momma!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:29 pm 

SWINWK wrote:
:teehee: I'm starting to act like his momma!
:biggrin:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:59 am 

:15heartbeat: Ma did not come to the nest this morning as she usually does. So Pa started the day by getting off the eggs at 7:00, flew out at 7:02, back to the eggs at 7:04. He flew again at 7:28 and did not return for a little over 50 minutes. He took a 1 minute break at 10:24. It was rainy and foggy this morning. No more breaks for Pa till 1:52 with Ma coming to the nest for the 1st time today 2 minutes after he left. She stood there a little short of 20 minutes before flying out. Pa did not return until 4:17. Ma returns at 4:46 and Pa was vocal until leaving within a couple of minutes or so. Then Ma left at 4:50. Pa returned 3 minutes later. Ma arrived at 6:38 with a dry fluff delivery and Pa left again. Ma flew out at 6:43. Pa returned to the nest for the night at 6:57. He is asleep with his head tucked as I leave at midnight.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:46 pm 

:15heartbeat: From what I could see, Ma stayed away again this morning. So Pa started his day at 7:09 by getting off the egg and flying up to the left branch, then turning around and going right back to the nest and egg. But at 7:51 he went to the left branch and was vocal then flew. He returned 8 minutes later to the egg. He left again at 8:16 and back by 8:49 with a fluff delivery, then to the egg. He didn't get up again and fly till 12:12 when Ma landed on the nest. She flew at 12:44. Pa did not return till 3:19 when he arrived with a fish. Then he flew at 3:21 and returned and went to the egg during this same minute. He flew again at 3:59 when Ma arrived. She did a little aeration. Eventually she went to the fish and nibbled just a little at 4:06, then flew. Pa flew in at 4:11 to the left branch, waited a minute before going down to the fish and eating a little, then to the egg. Ma arrived again at 6:22 and Pa was up and out of there. She stood until 6:41 when she ate 2-3 bites of the fish and then took it up in her beak and gulped it down as she frequently does. She nibbled on the fallen bits from the floor of the nest before flying out at 6:45. Pa flew in a minute later and to the egg for the night. Pa is holding his own at 10:55 in the rains here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:41 am 

:15heartbeat: The cams were down when I 1st came in this morning, but at 8:29 when they came back up Pa was on the egg. He was vocal and flew from the left branch at 9:43. Returned to the egg at 10:19. At 10:35 he got off the egg and flew, only to return 3 minutes later. Cams out again. Back up at 1:15 and Pa is on duty. Cams down from 1:30-3:00 per Berry I believe, but when they returned, Pa was on duty. He got up at 4:03 for a wing stretch and flap as it has been raining today, then back to the egg. At 4:12 he heads to the rear rails and stretches and flaps his wings again was vocal and flew. Ma arrived at 4:17, did a little aeration and flew 10 minutes later. She arrived again at 6:17, but only to the left branch, then she turned and flew out 8 minutes later. She returned again at 6:53 and did some heavy aeration enough to dig out a hole that can be seen to the left of the bowl. She flew after 4 minutes. Finally, Pa arrived to the nest and then to the egg for the night at 7:40. I really had started to wonder if he was going to return prior to his arrival.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 536 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 27  Next