Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: NORTHEAST FLORIDA, October 2016- September 2017
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:21 pm 

hope is just such a gorgeous eagle

and it is so great to be able to view Peace. I am in awe of all the rescue places who do so much and also take into account the people who also care so much

I wish I could donate to them all, but I know we all do our share, in some way or another

hope being female, may linger a little longer

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:22 am 

:ohyes: :4snowflake: FLEDGE!! Hope fledged this morning at 8:35 am. It appears she made a pass over the nest and then appeared unsure what to do and headed out toward the lake. People on the ground are looking for her whereabouts. Both parents have brought food into the nest in an effort to lure her back to the nest. Sounds like she had a strong flight. The landing is always the tricky part. Below are posts from chat of the American Eagle Foundation cam website:

Mar 2 2017, 8:52 AM
gretchen_AEF: Hope made a pass over the nest and couldn't figure out what to do and kept going back by the lake. A most usual start. We will keep you posted.

Mar 2 2017, 8:53 AM
grt_AEF: Our Hope has broken the record for amount of days to first fledge! Hope flew this morning at 10 weeks+2 days. The earliest time recorded by Gretchen was 10 weeks+5 days!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:37 am 

Hope has been located. She is in a tree in the area. They are getting pictures of her. Here's a video of her take-off from the nest....determined and calculated:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:55 am 

The American Eagle Foundation has posted a pic of Hope perched in a pine tree where she landed:

:sum9:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:54 am 

:1snowflake: Nadia.

I thought she had too much white left still. this is the soonest any female has ever fledged. maybe being by herself for so long made her stronger. any chance she is a large he ?????

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:56 pm 

:6snowflake: Hi Bev. I suppose we can never be sure of the gender, but the moderator's on the website felt her physical characteristics were consistent with a female. Last night was the first night I saw her sleep outside the nest...perched upright on a branch. Here's a wide angle view of the fledge from their website. Fledge is at 50 sec on the video.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:23 pm 

Here is a pic from Eagleholic, seconds before flying off to the great blue yonder - or maybe just the branch above the nest! :loveheart2:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:57 pm 

Hope has remained in the pine tree where she landed this morning. It is raining and they feel she will probably spend the night there. They add that it would not be unusual for her to take a few days before returning to the nest. Hunger will be her motivator. Juliet has been waiting for her in the nest with food. The American Eagle Foundation set up a blog for Hope on their cam website at https://www.eagles.org/hope-fledges/ . On the blog is a 15 minute video of Hope branching, exercising, and helicoptering prior to today's fledge. Click below:

As for Peace, they have not updated the blog since 2/27, but he appears to enjoy bathing in the flight pond. Yesterday, someone reported on chat that he flew across the floor of the flight pen, but he will not be released until he can get up to the highest perch and fly clear across to the other side of the 100 ft pen in a controlled manner.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:28 pm 

Nadia wrote:
:6snowflake: Hi Bev. I suppose we can never be sure of the gender, but the moderator's on the website felt her physical characteristics were consistent with a female. Last night was the first night I saw her sleep outside the nest...perched upright on a branch. Here's a wide angle view of the fledge from their website. Fledge is at 50 sec on the video.

I get suspicious when they fledge so far ahead of schedule. We have seen many a male falcon become femlae , when nesting :teehee: It would have been interesting to have Faith in nest and seen when he fledged

He is doing well, by all accounts :4snowflake:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:38 pm 

As of this morning, Hope is enjoying her freedom and has not yet returned to the nest. The parents are storing food up there for when she does come home for a meal - a fish and a squirrel.

Peace is getting closer to release. Here's a posting from chat on the American Eagle Foundation website about him today:

Mar 3 2017, 10:02 AM
sharipf_AEF: From Gretchen - per Audubon: Peace is doing well and getting closer to full flight. He needs a little more time but once his flights are coordinated, he'll be ready to come home. We need to be patient - the more coordinated his flights, the safer his release will be.

Click below for a video of a flight by Peace this morning. He tends to follow Bob around the flight pen...lol. Getting stronger. I would think they want to see him get more height.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:05 pm 

Nice close-up pictures of Hope in the tree where she landed yesterday. This is taken from the website's blog. This tree is deep in the preserve and people on the ground were alerted to her location by noisy crows that were not pleased with her presence...lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:39 pm 

Nadia :15heartbeat:

03/03 14.16 Visitor in the nest , departure

adult

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:15 am 

I was watching Peace this morning and he was being an eaglet...harassing Bob on the ground... :teehee: Looked like he was food begging or trying to steal food...lol. He did some hop flaps on the ground and I just saw a nice controlled flight from his favorite stick perch in the middle of the flight cage to the nest tray. He's looking good. I understand he also caught a live fish from the pond.

Hope has moved from the tree she 1st landed in. She is exploring the area. Still waiting for her return to the nest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:42 pm 

Peace has spent most of the morning perched by or in the nest tray. He may have been self-feeding in the tray, but distance is too far to tell. He just did a nice smooth, controlled flight from the tray to the pond. He went exactly where he wanted to go....took a drink....got wet...got out, and is now on the low branch preening. With Bob having an injured wing and perching low, there doesn't appear to be much incentive for Peace to get up high. I don't see a lot of activity...wingercising or hovering like we saw with Hope. Peace can fly. I wonder if he would be better off at home at this point, where there would be more incentive for him to be active. Just my opinion.

Juliet has been transporting nestovers out of the nest...looks like she is bringing Hope food.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:15 pm 

Nice flight just now by Peace from branch outside the nest tray half-way across the pen to the low branch. Whenever Bob eats, Peace gets right in there...I think he wants to be fed and wonders why Bob doesn't comply.

Here's a video of today's flights by Peace. Courtesy of American Eagle Foundation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:42 am 

Last night they had rain and I saw Peace on the ground in the flight pen. Tonight, the same thing. I thought it was instinct for these birds to want to perch high to avoid predation? I don't know if this is something to be concerned about.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:56 pm 

A post today on chat indicates that Audubon does not feel Peace's lack of height is an issue, which is good news. She is flying the length of the flight pen, albeit low flights.

As for Hope, it has been very windy in the hamlet since she fledged and is still windy today - 3 days. Yesterday, the cam zoomed in on a parent perched in a bare tree off in the distance, mobbed by crows. No doubt keeping an eye on Hope. Once the winds settle down, Hope will probably come out of hiding and get some flying in. It would be nice to see her make an appearance at the nest before she departs to make her way in the world.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:13 pm 

Peace is perched higher tonight. He is on one of the posts in the middle of the flight pen next to Bob. That would be a small landing pad for Peace. Glad to see he accurately stuck it. :hapdance:

Hope is still MIA. A sub-adult eagle was hanging around the area that Juliet chased off. Romeo has also been seen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:58 pm 

Here's a pic of Peace and Bob from 7:41 am this morning. Peace and Bob are facing each other with Peace's perching post being a bit higher. Bob has claimed ownership of the other post...I always see him there...lol. When I checked on them this evening, they were in the same positions.

Hope is still AWOL, but the parents are delivering food away from the nest. So, she is probably being fed. Winds have finally calmed down.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:46 pm 

Still no sign of Hope yet, but here's an update on Peace from the American Eagle Foundation. It appears they moved Bob out of the pen today, since Peace tended to stay close to him and Bob perched low due to his wing disability. I had a feeling Peace was imitating his flight and perching behavior. Someone on chat mentioned the same thing. Audubon would like Peace to reach the top bar to perch. Unfortunately, they do not have a suitable flighted eagle to place in the pen with him. When they retrieved Bob, Peace attempted to fly up to the top bar, but could not make it and fluttered down. Here's an update from the cam's website:

Mar 8 2017, 12:31 PM
gretchen_AEF: AEF-NEFL UPDATE ON "BOB" (flight mate with Peace at Audubon): The non-flighted, adult, male Bald Eagle Audubon reference number 709-16 was recently removed from the flight because Peace wanted to be near him and the adult can not fly. The adult was a good choice and did a great job of being a surrogate to Peace, but Peace has progressed and Audubon wants to encourage Peace to work on his flight abilities, which Peace was not doing while the adult was in there. Bob was moved to a smaller flight nearby. Once Peace flies and lands on the top perches (15' high on each end of the flight), his confidence level will change and nothing will stop him. Then Peace's release will be right around the corner!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next