Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: SEQUOYAH & SOONER LAKE (OK)~2013
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:49 am 
Site Admin

Please begin your 2013 Posts here!!!

CAM LINK:

The eagles at Sequoyah are currently incubating.

Eggs were laid 12/9/12 and 12/12/12.

Cam is currently off line, but they will work on repair after New Years!!!

Post subject: Re: SEQUOYAH & SOONER LAKE (OK)~2013
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Cam is back on line!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

I think this is DAd. . not sure. . but, eggs uncovered for quite some time...and they are close to hatch. . grrrrrr...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:56 pm 
Global Moderator

I was watching this am SgB, eggs were left (in the open) a long time :tantrum2:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:49 am 
Site Admin

I'm not really sure what is going on here...some of the comments under the cam suggest intruders have been near the nest tree...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:37 pm 

Parent on the nest late this afternoon----1-9-2013. Chatters mentioned intruders. I hope it settles for this nest and the parents can incubate. I also hope that the times of absence have not been too long. Fingers X=ed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Statement on the cam page..and there is a video, showing an intruder eagle AWAY from the nest..gotta go find it again, but in the meantime:

10 January 2013: There have been some questions regarding the presence and absence of incubating adults on the nest at Sequoyah NWR. The adults this year sometimes spend a lot of time looking up, leaving the nest, and even vocally protesting—the cause of which we are unable to see on the nest cameras. Usually, this type of behavior is in response to other eagles in the area that cause the nesting pair to be alarmed.

The resident adults have been off the nest several times for 45 minutes to an hour or more daily, and there has been concern that the eggs are now dead. No one knows for sure unless we take the eggs and candle them (shine a special high intensity light device through each egg to evaluate movement of the embryo, while avoiding overwarming the eggs due to heat from the candling bulb). The fact is that the eggs can take considerable cooling, an hour or more, depending on how cold the ambient temperature is; however, were the situation reversed, and the eggs overheated, they would soon die.

The presence of the non-nest owning eagles are likely the cause of disturbance to the resident pair, but there can be other causes. The long term drought currently in effect can impact nesting Bald Eagles as well. If the adult male, whose job it is to catch prey and to feed the incubating female, is having a tough time catching enough prey due to drought-related, low water levels and lack of aquatic based prey, the female might be forced to leave the nest to hunt on her own. We will hope that is not the case, but only time will tell.

Found it..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I was finally able to get the cam. From reading the comments below the cams, it sounds like that the eggs have been abandoned? There was mention of dad landing this morning and perching on the side of the nest...The few times I have checked today, I have seen no one on the nest. What a shame and so close to hatching. :girlsad3:

I hope both of the adults are ok..

This eagle (or bird) circled the nest tree several times, then left...never landed. .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

First adult I've seen (of course, I haven't had the cam up all day)

Reading back through the comments, they tend to think this is dad. No one has reported seeing mom at all today.

He eventually left, but returned a couple hours later. .

I'm not sure what to make of this...someone suggested on chat that this was one of the intruders, but the consensus was that it was probably dad. The concern being expressed now is that mom has been injured or worse.

Post subject: Re: Sequoyah & Sooner Lake 2012
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 pm 

I don't know when the cams came back online (cable was out) but it seems they are having intruder issues ... and when it got light this morning Mom was gone and hasn't been back since. :( Poor eggs are sitting in the nest all alone. :cryinggirl: :cryinggirl:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:55 pm 

Both adults returned a few minutes ago ... then one left again. I think Dad is sitting on the eggs now but not sure. It's getting dark and males don't usually stay at night. :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:02 pm 

This is the one that's sitting on the eggs now ...Mom or Dad??

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

PattiO wrote:
Both adults returned a few minutes ago ... then one left again. I think Dad is sitting on the eggs now but not sure. It's getting dark and males don't usually stay at night. :(

I don't know if that's good news or bad news .. .as far as I know, no incubation at all day today...but that is good news that both adults were there!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 am 

From eagleholic: :sosad2
"Sutton Sequoyah nest failure
January 13, 2013 — bald eagle, birds, Eagle, eaglecam, egg, failure, nature, nest, raptors, Sequoyah, Sutton Center

It is always so hard to report these things. But it seems clear that the nesting season is over much too early for the Sutton Sequoyah cam Bald Eagle Pair. The eggs which were due to hatch in the next few days have been abandoned, and I think at this point, everyone is just hoping that the adults survive amid whatever challenges they are facing, whether intruders or drought or something else. And for most people, the comments that I’ve seen (and I agree), it seems better to have the eggs fail, than to hatch and have eaglets starve or suffer. But that doesn’t make it any easier to watch it all play out. While we will probably never know exactly what happened, the existence of the eaglecam has again given us a unique and educational (if sad) view into the world of mother nature.

On these types of days, when I have to report these sad moments, it is hard not to wonder if the tears of sadness that go along with the learning, fun and true joy of being so close to nature with the cams, is worth it. But in the end I am always drawn back to those positives and the thought that as more people get connected with nature through the amazing webcams, appreciation for and understanding of our natural world remains an important topic for everyone to share."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

OK...lets see if I can get this straight..

According to the comments, Squirrel arrived at the nest and while rummaging through it, covered the eggs. Dad (? or male) arrived and uncovered. Mom (? or female) brought in new nesting material and covered them up with it. That's where we stand...when I watched yesterday, eagle perched in the nest tree (above nest) for quite some time...didn't watch long enough to see if it dropped down into the nest.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:38 pm 

The saga continues on "As the Eggs Turn"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

This just gets stranger and stranger!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:37 pm 

Kind of reminds me of Pa at DeMortel last year when he kept incubating. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:38 am 
Site Admin

I give up trying to figure this out...I'll post video later..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Admin

He/she incubated for a while....now gone...eggs unattended...I still can't figure out what is going on here..

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next