Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: NORFOLK BOTANICAL GARDENS~2013
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:24 pm 

I tried to add comments but cannot. I am horrified that they are allowing dad to be shot at with paintball gun.
this is illegal at every instance. It does not matter that they are not endangered any more. this is interference , as I said before, at the highest level.

It would make sense to me that you would encourage them to nest here. One hit at airport does not make them dangerous .And if I read right, Ma only went there becasue there was prey right there.

If we shot every bird that an aircraft hit, we would have no more birds. I fly, I do not want my plane to go down, but more planes are downed , by human mechanical error , or weather conditions , than anything else. And what are we doing about that.

Can someone find that for me. I have read so much that I cannot remember where I read this.

I wish someone had the B---ls to end this nonsense.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:42 pm 

Sorry again guys ... you can post on PilotOnline ... it's just the local newspaper - but you have to register. Pretty sure it's just name and email. They have to it like that so they don't get spammers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:47 pm 

And here's some bird strike information for you Bev ... but it only pertains to the Norfolk Airport.

• Since 1992, there have been four bald eagle strikes at ORF. Two caused minor damage. Two of the eagles involved in strikes at ORF were not connected to NBG. But one of those four strikes caused the death of the female at NBG when a Wisconsin Air flight landed on her while she was eating at the end of the runway.

• According to ORF Executive Director, Wayne Shank an average of over 250 operations (landings and takeoffs) take place each day. These include scheduled passenger and cargo airlines, general aviation, air taxi, and charter flights. This equals 91,250 operations per year. In the last 10 years there have been 912,500 operations. With four eagle strikes, in the last ten years that means the chance of an eagle strike at ORF is 0.00000438356.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:38 pm 

Pretty interesting facts and figures PattiO. Do you think now "they" are perhaps just trying to save face? How could "they" not know their logic is illogical...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:37 pm 

thanks PattiO
I thought she was eating at end of runway.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:34 am 

Posted on WOW today by Shoebutton ... :tissue:
Quote:
Thought I'd let y'all know that the Norfolk Forum is shutting down.

Sad to read this news today. Seems our contact with the Norfolk eagles is getting further and further away from them in many ways.

Facebook post on NBG Nesti ...
Quote:
It will soon be time to renew the domain name for the Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagles forum. Henry Lapo has been so gracious in providing us with a free host server and maintaining our site for many years now but with the Norfolk nest gone and decline in activity on the site, has decided to not renew the domain name. We didn't want to disappear without saying thank you to everyone who has contributed and supported the forum since it was first created....so, we will...

With sincere appreciation for all your contributions and your dedication to the Norfolk Eagles.....THANK YOU.

I am NOT happy about this at all ... only because there is SOOOO much information posted there. What a HUGE loss!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:07 am 

Your so right Patti but I really think alot of them are really just so burnt out trying.
Its an uphill battle and the airport is right there throwing rock down on them

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:25 am 
Site Admin

:cryinggirl: :cryinggirl: What a sad reminder to the end of a great Eagle era!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:22 am 
Global Moderator

:sum7: A sad time with the 2013 season starting...Just not right :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:16 pm 

very sad ;(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:36 pm 

:tissue:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:34 pm 

I am overwhelmed. Just cannot fathom this at all. I guess I want to live in the :tissue: :tissue: perfect world.

I f you find it let me know

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

Eagleholic reported that the USDA removed another nest from the Gardens today..

I have no words~ :tissue: :tissue: :tissue:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:55 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
Eagleholic reported that the USDA removed another nest from the Gardens today..

I have no words~ :tissue: :tissue: :tissue:

According to a FB post, the USDA had a permit that allowed the removal of 3 nests. So far, since October, 5 nests have been removed. It's really sad how they are stressing these birds. You're right SGB-there are no words.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:15 am 

Here's a like to Duane's video of them removing the supporting branch to the nest they tore down yesterday... http://www.3rdicreations.com/p773589702 ... #h54ddc7be

It breaks my heart ... deeply.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:41 am 

I think I may start writing some letters to the environment authority of the American government. I am going to look for who to write tomorrow.

this is jsut ludicrous that they are defying laws of protected species, or better still the symbol of America

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:19 pm 
Global Moderator

"Nothing lasts forever" ...

If you would have told me 3-4 years ago that we would
not have a nest at Norfolk I would have said -hogwash-nonsense...
Gosh darn ~this has really been beyond sad...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:12 pm 

VA: VIRGINIA BEACH - Eagle hatched at Norfolk Botanical Garden snapped
building nest at Honey Bee Golf Club

By Mary Reid Barrow
Virginian-Pilot correspondent
© February 17, 2013
VIRGINIA BEACH

Citizen scientists have done it again!

This time, a group of eagle watchers at Honey Bee Golf Club have learned that one of the bald eagles born and banded at Norfolk Botanical Garden is establishing nesting territory at the golf course.

How young eagles establish nesting territoryis not well known. But our dedicated citizen scientists who have camerasthat can pick up bird bands and their numbers are adding information to the puzzle.

Reese Lukei, a volunteer research associate with the Center for Conservation Biology in Williamsburg, keeps an eye on local eagles. He writes a blog, http://eaglenest.blogs.wm.edu, for the center about the eagles that were banded over the years in the garden's nests.

In a recent blog, Lukei wrote about "HK," one of the eagles that was banded at the garden four years ago. HK has been photographed often carrying sticks and even building a nest at Honey Bee.

HK's sister, Azalea, was the eagle equipped with a satellite transmitter at the garden. She has been tracked far and wide, but HK appears to be somewhat of a homebody, sticking around the golf course, Lukei wrote.

"With the assistance of several local eagle photographers, we know from their excellent photos that HK has stayed right around Honey Bee Golf Course for most of the year," he said.

That area of the North Landing River that flows through Honey Bee is full of food fish, and this time of year gizzard shad gather there to spawn. The abundance of food draws not only HK but severalother eagles, as well as herons, egrets and water birds of all kinds.

The area has become so well known that eagle watchers have a community Facebook page called Honey Beeagles, where they post their wonderful photos.

Lukei was excited to learn of HK's behaviorbecause not much is known about when and how a young eagle establishes territory. HK is 4 years old now and will be of breeding age next winter.

"It is not known why HK is sticking so close to Honey Bee, besides its being an excellent place to forage for fish," Lukei wrote. "HK is in the process of building a nest on the golf course."

All of this information is available thanks to our citizen scientists and Honey Beeagles photographers, like Cary Lynch, Beverly Nettleton, Jim Deal, Shelly Fowler, Bob Mislan and Pam Monahan. In his blog, Lukei thanked the photographers for "being so observant and providing photos for all to enjoy and learn from." See many of their photos on the Honey Beeagles Facebook page.

Though HK has been photographed with another eagle close by, it doesn't appear that he has a girlfriend.

Lukei watched HK take sticks to his nest for three days in a row but did not see a female. He came to the conclusion that HK was nest-building to establish his territory.

HK is not dumb! He must be thinking ahead to when he has a family and can settle down in an area where it will be easy for Dad to bring home the bacon.

HK," a banded eagle from one of the nests at Norfolk Botanical Garden, carries a big stick to a nest he is building at Honey Bee Golf Club. (Reese Lukei | Courtesy)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:08 pm 

That picture is unbelievably cool! Thanks KF!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

What an amazing picture!!! I sure wish his Dad was having better luck...and better support!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next