Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Richmond, VA (CCB)~2013
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately, the Richmond eagles have chosen another location for their nest in 2013. The new nest is located on Williams Island, approximately 1/2 miles from their loblolly pine nest of the past several years. . so, stay tuned!!!

Post subject: Re: Richmond, VA (CCB)~2013 & beyond. Not nesting here
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

I was perusing the NEW CCB website and came across this recent article by Dr. Watts...here is a part of it..he has such a way with words and I am sure we can all relate:

...I am asked with regularity “why should we be concerned about a particular species or place?” or “what is their value to society?”. The obvious answer to this question is that our society has expressed the value that we place on bald eagles by the millions of dollars and hours that we have expended on its behalf. However, the true answer is that bald eagles like so many other things do not conform to the value metrics that our society has become accustomed. What is the “value” of watching a brilliant sunset in autumn or to look up from the floor of the Sistine chapel to see one of the greatest achievements of mankind? Do these experiences not enrich our lives beyond measure? I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to work with a magnificent species during a period of remarkable recovery. Although I vividly remember observing my first eagle in the wild, I am too young to have experienced the silent years. Ask the watermen who have worked the waters through this period how the return of this species has lifted their daily lives. Ask the scores of private citizens, professionals, and conservation groups who have spent countless hours with their shoulders to the plow to pave the way for this recovery. They will tell you that the sight of this bird on the wing is more than payment in full for their efforts. As eagles become more common in the Bay the dividends of these investments enrich us all. They symbolize the recovery of our common heritage.

For thousands of years, bald eagles have nested along the shores of the Chesapeake Bay. Like few other species, they have born witness to the many changes in the Bay. They have seen the shoreline redrawn many times through the rise and fall of oceans and forest types move across the landscape as climates have come and gone. They have smelled the smoke rising from a thousand cook fires. They have witnessed the English sail into the mouth of the Bay and heard the sounds of revolution. In recent decades they have seen roadways and development reach out to every corner of the watershed. Yet they remain, the most inspiring consumer within one of the most fertile aquatic ecosystems on earth.

Post subject: Re: Richmond, VA (CCB)~2013
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:29 pm 

Thanks sgb. Can you tell he absolutely adores eagles?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

From CCB:

Richmond eagle pair raises 1 chick

James and Virginia, stars of the Richmond eagle cam have raised 1 chick in their new nest along the James River. On Saturday (4 May, 2013) during the annual bald eagle productivity survey along the James River, Bryan Watts and Bart Paxton checked in on the resident pair and found a single chick in the nest that was approximately 8 weeks old. Both the chick and nest appeared to be in good condition.

No adults were attending the chick but James was observed along the shoreline less than 200 yards upstream. In an earlier survey flight on 10 March, 2 newly hatched chicks were observed in the nest. One of the chicks was lost during the season. With only 2 observations, the cause of the loss is not possible to determine but is most likely food related.

Over the weekend, Watts and Paxton along with pilot Captain Fuzzzo Shermer counted chicks in more than 200 nests along the James River.

Facebook post:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:10 am 

that is too bad but at least they have one.
this is what Gord does with peregrines.
he gos by helicopter around cliffs and other areas, looking

I sure hope there are more like these guys bringing up the rear

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 am 

The mortality rate for eagles is sobering. I never realized it until I started maintaining our calendar. But I remain joyful for all the ones who do survive to become the beautiful symbol of our great nation!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]