Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: LOCH GARTEN, SCOTLAND ~ 2013-2014
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:05 pm 

PLEASE BEGIN YOUR 2013 POSTS HERE! :corkpop:

CAM LINK:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: LOCH GARTEN, SCOTLAND ~ 2013
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:05 pm 

:sum9: EJ is home :sum9:

The osprey centre opens tomorrow, Friday 29th March at 10am, which is early this year because of Easter. And we have our girl, EJ, back just in time! She kept us on our toes for a bit there. Having her back so early last year meant that we had been keeping a look out for her since 21st March which was the day she returned last year. With her turning 16 this year we were starting to wonder if she would be back at all. However, with heavy snow and high winds throughout the country this week, it is understandable that she is a little bit later than expected but she is a tough old girl who didn’t let a bit of bad weather stand in her way.
We spent most of yesterday saying ‘today is the day’ and taking bets on what time she might arrive. So as we left the centre at around 5pm we all raised our eyebrows when Richard received a text about an osprey sighted at Loch Vaa, which is only about four miles from Loch Garten. Could it be EJ stopping off to pick up a fish supper before returning home? I returned to the centre an hour later to drop something off and as I was walking home, I stopped by the loch to take in the stunning view. The snow-capped mountains were glowing from the low evening sun and gentle flakes of light snow were hitting the water. I was stood there mesmerized for quite a while when something caught my eye, but it disappeared below the tree line before I was able to get my binoculars on it. Had I just seen an osprey? Five minutes later my phone rang. It was Richard informing me that he had just switched on his computer to see an osprey land on the nest. However, thanks to his strategic moss placement earlier in the week, the bird was knee deep in moss and he couldn’t quite see if it was EJ or not. I’m sure you were all doing the same at home, willing her to lift her leg high enough to show off the white ring bearing her namesake. She eventually did and showed to all the world that it was indeed EJ back for her 11th season.

As you might have noticed, we are having some cold weather this spring and many of the lochs have frozen up. This could prove difficult for fishing ospreys who will be hungry after their long journey. But not to worry! As some of you may already know, EJ favours the fish farm at Rothiemurchus and one pool in particular which many ospreys in the area use. Therefore, we were very grateful when the countryside ranger from Rothiemurchus informed us that he got up early this morning especially to break the ice on the osprey pond to enable EJ to catch fish.
Now, who wants to take bets on Odin is going to arrive? My money is on Tuesday. After finding another male on his nest last year I’m sure he’ll be keen to arrive on time! And so the season begins.
I’m absolutely thrilled to be back at Loch Garten this year, taking over from John from last year. Having been back almost three weeks now it feels like I never left. It seems as though it was only yesterday that we were marvelling at the speed of Alba’s migration and wishing our ospreys a safe journey south. I felt incredibly lucky to be able to watch these magnificent birds so closely and intimately over the season last year. And now I (and you!) get to do it all over again. So I’m sure by you are all dying to meet the rest of Team LG 2013, so let me introduce you.
This year we have:

Audrey, who has come to us from Coombes Valley. Also from Coombes Valley we have Kayleigh. Next up is Jake from Bempton Cliffs. And last but by no means least, Dave who has come all the way from West Sedgemoor in Somerset. I’m sure you’ll all make them feel welcome on here and equally they all look forward to meeting you in the centre.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:25 am 

Loch Garten osprey diary A gentleman-caller........
April 5th 2013
At approx. 19.35 hours tonight, a male osprey, ringed Blue XD, arrived at the Loch Garten nest alongside EJ. This is almost certainly the likely explanation for her prolonged periods of absence from her nest over the past few days. A case of, we know where you've been...

Did she purposely go in search of her lover for a secret tryst at his nest? Did they catch each others eye on a fishing trip and he invited her back to his nest, to see his etchings? Or did he come to Loch Garten in the hope of catching our lovelorn EJ off guard, in need of some tenderness and "osprey comfort"?! Have they had a West African holiday romance these past months, and he just wont accept that it's over?

So many questions. Whatever, but we have ourselves our first intrigue of the season. A repeat of last year perhaps, when EJ also had a fling with Blue XD? Only to be reclaimed by Odin-come-lately. We shall see.

I know you all have your favourites, and so do we, but of those that commented, no-one saw fit to marvel at Blue XD's arrival, yet another successful return for him, having over-wintered successfully somewhere, we know not where. Come on folks, it's marvelous, isn't it? What an achievement, having overcome the pitfalls and obstacles of migration that befall so many other ospreys and other migrant birds. It's remarkable. And at the end of the day, if he makes our EJ happy......... so be it, surely?

So what next? Odin may yet arrive and send him packing. Blue XD may stay with EJ and us here at Loch Garten, or he may tempt her back to his pad as his new bide-y-in. The latter would be the least favourable outcome, as it would be a shame to lose EJ from here, but that's her choice, about which we can do nothing, and hey, if she went elsewhere, and successfully reared young ospreys, that would be a great outcome, would it not?

If she does pack her bags and moves out of here and in with Blue XD, the metaphorical Property To Let signs will be up at our nest and there's sure to be a lot of interest in the prime real estate that is the Loch Garten eyrie. Of course only those ospreys that can handle the full glare of publicity, the ever present papparazzi, the endless media interest and the 35,000 noisy neighbours - need apply.

However, my money's on big-boy Odin showing up this weekend and kicking some osprey butt. I reckon EJ will see sense and not fall for the rake that is Blue XD, but settle with a keeper, like Odin.

Osprey intrigue, - does not get better than this! Ladies & gentleman, lets look!

Caledonia latest:

On 30th March to 1st April Caledonia made repeated the trips N of the Huelva as reported for the period 25 – 28 March. On 2nd, 4th and 5th April she stayed around her normal spot on the Rivera De Huelva so presumably the fishing has improved in this area. On 3rd April she did a 31 km round trip NE of the Huelva to Embalse (reservoir) El Esparragal. So she still seems to be a happy osprey and is showing no signs of moving out of Spain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:18 pm 

Welcome back Odin
Some of the keener eyed amongst you have probably already noticed but I’m very excited to tell you all that our suspicions have been confirmed – the unringed male is Odin. Back for his 5th season at Loch Garten!

Odin didn’t waste anytime and at first light EJ (and our sleeping volunteers!) were treated to a sky dance, which is an impressive flight display coupled with a distinctive call that males do to demonstrate they are a good, strong male. EJ was obviously suitably impressed as she let him mate with her not long after he’d finished his aerial performance. EJ's warm response to him this morning is the confirmatin we needed. Had he been a new, different male she would have been more hostile and reluctant to mate so quickly. Odin is a bit of a show off when it comes to his sky dancing, some of you might remember that he sky danced continuously for 22 minutes last year, obviously putting in a bit of extra work to win back EJ.

He quickly got to work on the nest, bringing in moss and scraping out an egg cup. The only courtship act EJ hasn’t received is a fish, unfortunately she wasn’t around to see the enormous fish he brought back for her yesterday. On first return Odin always shows up with a fish and usually couples this with a sky dance but upon finding an empty nest yesterday he ate his fish and had to do his sky dance empty taloned this morning. As soon as EJ receives a fish at her nest (something Blue XD has not done yet) she will go starry eyed and fall head over talons for Odin again and he’ll hold onto his title, a second victory over Blue XD.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:55 pm 

Loch Garten osprey diary
AWOL EJ....

10 Apr 2013 8:56 AM
EJ has not been seen at the Loch Garten nest since c.06.35am yesterday (9th). Whether she is just away fishing, or playing away with XD (the stop-out!), we cannot know.

Only two days ago she was stood alongside newly-returned Odin, looking altogether like the proverbial happy couple, and she seemed to kick XD into touch, under Odin's disapproving eye. Or was that just for the cameras, and out of embarrassment having been caught in flagrante delicto by Odin? Yet really she still has eyes for XD? Time will tell. Even before Odin's return and during her dalliance with XD and her bouts of absence (at his nest?) EJ was at least returning to the LG site to roost, but not last night. Is she having a change of heart and Odin no-longer cuts it for her?

We have of course seen this from her before, a day or two of absence, but then she eventually returns. We know her to be a particularly independent female osprey, so once Odin returned, did she feel her nest could be left under his watchful, protective gaze, enabling her to go and fish for herself, as we know she is given to do?

Questions, questions. The nest few days will prove very interesting indeed. Meantime Odin has taken up guard at the LG nest. As I walked up to Osprey Centre in the dark this morning at 5am on my way to Caper-watch. I could hear him aloft displaying directly over the Centre, in a valiant attempt to be heard by EJ and lure her back. To no avail, at least by the time I left the Centre at 08.30am.

You'll be fretting I know, but I'm sure EJ will reappear before too much longer.
Those watching this morning might have noticed not an EJ on the nest, but just a J - a jay poking about in the nest cup moss. One male capercaillie put in an appearance this morning too, for the 25+ early risers. It was tricky to see at first but it eventually flew up into a tree and all the patient attendees saw it. Phew!

We will of course keep you posted on the EJ situation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:08 pm 

Loch Garten osprey diary

Oh ye of little faith....

Told ya............ As you will no doubt have seen on the webcam EJ has returned. I can feel the sharp intakes of breath and huge sighs of relief from here.

We cannot know where she has been or what she has been up to, but it's my view that unless something nasty had befallen her - death or injury - the she was always going to come back.

He would say that wouldn't he - I hear you say, but I was honestly confident that she would reappear. My new Team LG 2013 have, like you, understandably been a bit edgy these past few days, but my words of comfort to them have been that they only need to worry, if I start to worry, and I'm not (haven't been) worried. Phew!

Time for some of you, I'm sure, to put an equal strain on all parts in a darkened room. You can relax now. And rest

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:27 pm 

Loch Garten osprey diary
April 12th 2013
Caley up-date.....and EJ news.

Caledonia has taken a short two night break between 9th and 11th April, NE of the Huelva site to Embalse (Reservoir) Del Retortillo. The reservoir is on the borders of the Cordoba and Sevilla regions of Spain and on the SW edge of a hilly region in the Parque National Sierra De Hornachelos. She spent the nights of 9th and 10th April on the edge of the reservoir before returning to the roost site on the Rivera Huelva on 11 April. Overall she travelled some 170 km and completed a 84 km return leg between 10.00 and 18.00 hrs on 11 April.

I'm afraid the news on EJ is that there is no news, well, not much anyway. She was on site until c.7.30pm last night and we haven't seen her since. Did she go off to roost, off-site now that Odin's back to stand guard too? Maybe, but if so, why no return at first light this morning? At one point today there was an unidentified osprey in the Garten eyrie airspace, but given that Odin was sky-dancing in display to it, we have to assume it was a female, but whether it was EJ we could not tell. It didn't come in aboot the nest anyway. That's all we have for you, for now.

Have a good weekend everybody.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:02 am 

Hmmmm, well I took picture of 2 Osprey on the nest this morning (their morning ... last night for me). And they mated and were quite happy with each other.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:10 am 

I just read through the comments on the blog page ... EJ laid an egg at 2:22 this afternoon!!!
:dancingegg:

And he is very frisky this morning already!! :teehee:

And there's her egg ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:00 pm 

14 Apr 2013 5:41 PM
We have some egg-cellent news! The first egg has been laid! At 13.40 EJ started to behave suspiciously eggy and a hush descended over the centre as we stood watching the nest intently, silently egging her on and willing her to show us her precious goods. Finally at 14.02 we caught a glimpse of what we’d all been waiting for and a cheer erupted through the centre, followed by lots of high fiving. So whoever put their money on today, collect your winnings now!

This explains the reason for EJ’s return last night and answers the question of how long she will be back for this time. She will now be tied to the nest for the next five weeks whilst she incubates the eggs (hopefully we will have another two over the next few days!) and will only leave the nest briefly to feed and take an exercise flight. Our male, Odin, will provide her with fish during this period and will take a shift on the eggs whilst she feeds on a nearby perch.

It was a scene of domestic bliss at the nest this morning. From as far away as the car park I could hear Odin sky dancing his heart out. There was a fish brought to the nest and EJ seemed receptive to his mating attempts. And now an egg!

Now I know the question on everyone’s lips will be ‘who’s egg is it?’ :teehee: But does it really matter? Odin has seen the egg and despite some clumsy egg cup scraping around it, he seems happy with it. We know what a good provider he is and if we have healthy chicks that fledge then that is a success.

Sorry for the down time of the camera earlier, we have extremely high winds at the moment and this caused a power cut in the area (this is the second time I’ve written this blog, I lost the first one to the power cut!).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:02 am 

Well this is what I get for not looking in for a few days
Not such egg-cellent news now......
3 days ago
by richard thaxton

Odin has done the math. He knew the egg was not his, so he has kicked it out of the nest cup.
All was looking reasonably fine & dandy at 5am this morning. EJ was incubating the egg, Odin was in attendance. However, when EJ got off the egg and flew away briefly, Odin moved in to position. He didn't look comfortable and whilst he stood over the egg, he did not settle upon it to incubate. Then we saw the first signs of his intent. He began scraping and kicking in the nest cup, and on more than one occasion stood on the egg and did not show any care for it. EJ swiftly returned, resumed incubation and Odin went off to fish.
At about 7.45 Odin returned with breakfast, handed it over to EJ and off she went to feed. This is when he took his chance. He moved in on the nest cup, began kicking and scraping like mad, and lo, he booted the egg out of the cup to the right-hand side of the nest. Not content with that, he began poking and pecking at it and moved small sticks and moss to try to cover it.
This all took place right as I was sat there in the Forward Hide with a chap from Radio 3 doing an interview. Despite the enormity and gravity of the situation he couldn't believe his luck, to be there for such a scoop, literally.
So what now? Will EJ retrieve the egg and scoop it back in to the nest? Even if she does, will Odin simply boot it out again? Will EJ go on to lay another egg or two (of Blue XD's?) and what will Odin's reaction to them be? Or will EJ re-absorb what ever is going on inside her, become more receptive to Odin's advances and start afresh with him?
Questions, questions. We can but wait and see what happens.
Sigh.
=========================
You probably know......
3 days ago
by richard thaxton
.......more than I do about what's happened today, avid viewers that you are. I've been off-site most of the day, I'm just back, so I'm just catching up, reading your comments. Thanks for keeping me informed and in the picture!
From what I can gather then, it goes like this; despite Odin's egg-booting antics this morning and his attempts to sheepishly cover the egg with moss and sticks, EJ pulled the egg back into the nest and resumed incubation, like nothing had happened. Did she think the high winds had blown the egg out of the cup? Or was she giving Odin a second chance to accept it? Whatever, but he was having none of it. As soon as her back was turned - having lured her away with a big fish to feast on - he was back in there like a shot to give the egg another contemptuous kicking, hoofing it to the other side of the nest this time.
So what now? Both birds are on site, Odin on the nest, EJ unseen by you, perched on a branch beneath the nest. Will she lay another egg overnight tonight / through tomorrow? If she does, will Odin give this one the benefit of the doubt? Yet more questions.
A restless night for all of us, I'd wager.
================================================
You put your first egg in...

....your first egg out, in, out, in, out, boot it all about......
For the third time Odin has booted the egg out of the nest cup. It is still there - off-screen for you- but at the bottom right-hand corner of the nest/your screen. Yes, he again waited until EJ was off the nest and was straight back in to scrape and kick.
It was still there when I left Caper-watch 10 mins ago, and EJ had returned, so it remains to be seen whether she will again roll the egg back in. She had just began to sit when I left, suggesting egg number two might be on its way instead, maybe? How will himself react to that?
You may have noticed, Odin is getting a bit stroppy with EJ. When he attempts to mate with her, she refuses to be receptive to him and lift her tail for cloacal contact, so he pokes and jabs at her head with his beak. A lot of discord and disharmony going on between them this year. You'll think it heresy for me to say so, I know, but I think he'd like rid.
What will the day bring?
Meanwhile Caper-watch this morning was great. We were there at 05.00am, open to visitors at 05.30am and had two cock capercaillie squaring up to each other, in full display. They were a bit tricky to see as they chased each other about between trees, but all of the 30+ folk who attended eventually saw one or other. During the session, I received a text from a colleague to say he'd just seen a swallow. Hoorah! Spring at last, hopefully, maybe.
===============================
Egg laying - round 2!
1 day ago
byJen Clark
EJ has laid her second egg at 13.40 – the exact same time the first egg was laid on Sunday. Odin was by her side clutching a fish shortly after laying but has not yet seen the egg. Are we in for another round of nest-top egg football or will Odin accept this one as his own? The two seemed to be in harmony this morning with some good mating attempts and were sat side by side on the perch below the nest, sharing a fish earlier today. Has peace returned to the Loch Garten nest? Or maybe it is just the calm before the storm?
Odin is currently perched beneath the osprey nest and has been flying to and from the nest, offering the remains of a fish to EJ. She is yet to take it from him but it should not be too long before he tempts her off the nest and discovers her hidden treasure. Keep watching this space...if you can stand the tension!
=====================================
Another egg bites the dust.
17 hours ago
byJen Clark
And so Odin’s rendition of the karaoke continues. Our second egg was given the heave ho at around 7.30am this morning. Tempted from the nest by a fish EJ left Odin alone with the egg and Odin, obviously not satisfied that this is his egg either, took the opportunity to give this one the boot too. As I write this EJ is sat beneath the nest tucking into her fish and is yet to discover the rolled out egg. As we left the centre yesterday there was a rainbow over the Loch Garten nest and I thought that maybe this was a sign that the storm was over but evidently not, we’ve still have a few more loops to do on this rollercoaster ride.
We now wait patiently for a possible third egg and if EJ does lay another, how will Odin react? Will we be third time lucky?
These two birds are certainly keeping

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:22 am 
Site Admin

OH MY WORD...How the heck would Odin know the eggs were not his? I guess Odin does not realize that EJ only has so many eggs in her...He better cut it out or there will be NO babies..

Thanks for that update, KF!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:52 pm 

Cracked Eggs and Caledonia

Jen Clark
19 Apr 2013 11:20 AM
Our nest is empty of eggs again this morning. EJ eventually came back to the nest yesterday and rolled her egg back into the cup and tucked it snugly under her brood patch. At around 6.30pm Odin returned to the nest to let EJ take an exercise flight and shocked us by sitting on the egg in what looked like a moment of remorse as he incubated the egg. Alas, this only lasted for a couple of minutes before he started scraping away again and the egg was kicked out of touch. It would now appear that we have another cracked egg that is buried under a pile of moss – out of sight, out of mind?
We could have another egg today or tomorrow. Despite his egg antics, Odin is behaving himself in every other respect. He has been sky dancing at first light, he is bring EJ a large fish every morning – a large rainbow trout was delivered at 9.23am today which EJ is currently eating on the perch below the nest – and has defended the nest from intruding ospreys (we had another fly over at 10.27am this morning). There have been many mating attempts with a good number of successful ones. Last night, for the first time, Odin roosted on the perch below the nest whilst EJ incubated a phantom egg on the nest. By keeping EJ well fed and defending the nest he is allowing EJ to conserve her energy and put her reserves into egg making. So all is not lost here yet, lets remain hopeful and keep our fingers crossed for a third egg.
Now to some brighter news. We have the latest on the tracking from Caledonia and unlike her parents she seems to be behaving herself!

Caledonia has been very sedentary over the last week spending most of her time around the River Huelva roost area with occasional trips to the nearby junction with the Rio Guadalquivir. However, at 10.00 hrs on 13 April she was on the Canal de Alfonso XIII near Isla Magica, on 14 April at 10.00hrs she was travelling S over the canal near Parque De Maria Luisa, Seville and at 12.00 hrs on 15 April she was flying S along the canal some 10 km S of the Huelva and near where she originally spent time on her first arrival in Seville. In all these trips she was back at the Huelva within 2 hours.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:07 pm 

Eggstatic News! :sum9:

17 hours ago
byJen Clark
I am eggtremely eggcited to tell you all the happy news. At 8.18am we had our third egg and just after 10am Odin brought in a fish. EJ left with the fish and we all held our breath. After a tense few minutes he has sat down and incubated the egg without any hesitation. Third time lucky! Round of applause for egg three
!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

Thank Goodness!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:59 am 

I'm just catching up!! What strange goings on!! Maybe Odin is way smarter than we think!! I can't believe he would know they weren't his eggs!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:04 am 

I just don't know maybe he got out his calendar and figured it out :sum4:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:24 am 

Well ... EJ's 4th egg appeared today and so far all is well.

Quote:
How do you like your eggs? “In the morning!” Odin may say...

Today at 6.56 am EJ popped out egg number four after a restless night on the nest. Following egg number three on Saturday, 20 April, Odin has accepted his fatherly duties and has been without protest taking his turn at incubating. He spent most of last night on the perch below the nest, leaving at 5.15 am to look for breakfast.

At 6.56 am, it was noted that EJ was having contractions and a few minutes later egg number four was confirmed as she stood up, took a step back and flapped her wings. Hooray!

Odin came back at 7.49 am with a ten-inch brown trout and EJ went off to the perch below the nest with the fish. It looks like happy families for the Loch Garten ospreys today. Since then they’ve been seen mating successfully on the nest this morning. Just as I was typing this up, I was interrupted with the news of an intruding osprey perched on the camera tree at around 10.45 am. It was a male. We recorded him perching there and taking off after about 30 seconds. Looking closely at the footage to scrutinise his identity I can tell you it is not Blue XD. Odin and EJ were on the nest at the time and though they alarm called and mantled they did not create a big fuss over the intruder.

One of our diligent Osprey Watch volunteers, Helen, made an observation of the times between each laying. It was exactly 72 hours between eggs 1 and 2, both popping out at 1.40 pm. Between eggs two and three were 66 hours and 40 minutes, and between eggs three and four were 70 hours and 38 minutes. Both eggs three and four were laid in the morning: the two eggs that Odin accepted. This got us speculating: perhaps Odin knew his eggs would be laid in the a.m. hence disregarding the afternoon arrivals? But looking at previous records of when Odin and EJ’s eggs have been laid, our speculations were blown. Since 2009 Odin and EJ’s eggs have been laid at all times of the day and night ranging from 3.07 am to 8.12 pm. All I can say is eggspect the uneggspected!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:16 am 

First of 2 remaining eggs hatched on Sunday, May 26th!

These I took this morning (Monday) which would be Monday evening for them ...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:20 am 

These I just took ... Tuesday morning for them! :) Little one looks good!

UGH ... go back a page for more pics!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next