Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: HOG ISLAND, ME~2016-2017
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:04 pm 

:sum8: OOOPS! Rachel has not left on her migration ... all 3 seen this morning. And most likely she was the 2nd osprey with Steve that was dive bombing the eagle that wandered into their territory yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 pm 

Rachel did leave for migration about a week ago. Unfortunately, Steve and Bailey were in an aerial fight this am with a bald eagle and Bailey went down in the H2O, I think. She was rescued, dried and released, however she went down again in the H2O and rescued once more. Off to a rehabber who wants to keep her a few days for ATB'S for wounds that were deeper than once perceived. Hog Island is hoping to get her back before Steve leaves, so she will have continued support and education from him. I do not believe I have ever witnessed any bird go through so much in their first season of life as Bailey. Hoping she can pull through and as she is banded, we will become aware of a wonderful life for this osprey!! At the sites are videos of the fight and rescues, however I am unable to bring them over and am hoping someone will. There is also a photo of one very scared, wet, Bailey!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:31 pm 

k, I give up!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:41 pm 

I have spent approx 40 minutes attempting to bring this Bailey update posted by Poppy from Steve Kress. I was unable to copy in entirety, but the rest of message is asking for patience from Bailey's followers. It certainly is concerning as Bailey has an "old" ulnar fx! I was never able to retrieve the 2 videos showing the eagle attack and both rescues. Was hoping to bring them here for documentation of this site. Bailey, if I could fly with you for the migration, I would. I am hoping you will heal and make your inaugural migration and return to us again and again ... I will leave the lights on and watch for any signs of you ... :flirty:

"Dear Osprey Cam Community:
We have just received an update about Bailey from the raptor rehabilitators. The wounds that Bailey received from the recent eagle attacks have healed nicely and are no longer a concern. However, it was noticed that Bailey had a consistent wing droop, so x-rays were taken of the wing. On consultation with several veterinarians experienced with raptor rehabilitation, it was agreed that Bailey has a fracture in her ulna that is about a month old. This may date back to an attack from the Great Horned Owl when she was in the nest. Continued use of her injured wing over the past month has affected healing, evidenced by wing droop and mobility that would likely interfere with hovering, a necessary behavior for an osprey to capture fish. It is their opinion that Bailey is not ready for release and another two weeks of rehabilitation plus physical therapy will improve her chances for successful release. Her wing will be x-rayed after this period and reassessed by veterinarians and next steps determined at that time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:21 pm 

Thank you so much for the information SWINWK,
It sounds promising we have to keep our fingers crossed. I wonder if they will try and release her before or after migration.
Please keep us updated.
:loveshow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

Bless her heart....so courageous...having dealt with that fracture for possibly a month!! Poor little one. So glad she is in Rehab!!

Thanks for the updates, SWINWK!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:37 pm 

thank you SWInk :15heartbeat:

I owuld hope they would hold her back as it is getting late, and does she have skill she needs. having said that , We did not think Green girl at Weber would have skills she needed as s she had only been flying 3 weeks when she was injured. when we re-released her. Radisson would not accept her back. It had been to long and look where she is today.

only good thoughts for this sweet osprey. what a year we have had.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:30 pm 

Bev, their plan is to release for migration. Some believe there is time for "heal and release" as the Newfoundland osprey do not leave until October for migration. Also, I have read that Bailey will be able to learn to fish without Steve. Both of these statements I do not fully understand as to why osprey further north wait later to depart and why have we been told the fathers stay with the offspring to "feed" and "teach to fish" after their mothers leave for migration. Do the Newfoundland osprey not travel as far south as other osprey for wintering grounds. I understand they might hatch later and that does affect when they would leave. But, Bailey's time to leave and be successful for her age and abilities would be sooner. I remember reading this season of a newly fledged osprey catching it's own fish and bringing it to the nest to eat while still obviously wet from the dive with photo documentation. Everyone was shocked this fledge was capable of that skill so soon. It was either a nest in the northwest of the USA or one located in the United Kingdom, I do not remember which. I've also read osprey do not do well in captivity.There is so much more for me to learn and understand of the osprey! But, I'm sure pulling for Miss Bailey!! :flirty:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:35 pm 

:flirty: Have a great migration Steve!! Looking forward to seeing you and Rachel in the spring! What a season this has been for you all! Apparently, Steve has not been seen since September 15th. They believe he has left for migration even though they hear the occasional osprey call. I finally was able to get to the bottom of Poppy's message from a few days ago and here is the ending of same:

The feathered Steve wasn't seen since last Friday, so he most probably is on the move. However, on Charlo's nest, Charlie showed up after a period of absence for a couple of days. Bailey has lots of time to recover and start her migration, with or without further care from Steve. In fact, juvies learn to catch fish on their own. Many observations have shown this.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:44 pm 

:sunsmile: From Poppy:

Hog Island's Osprey Season 2017 has come to an end. No more sightings of Steve on his favorite roosting spots; Rachel and Steve are off for a much deserved vacation in South America. May they both find their destinations safe and sound. Remember: To love means to let go.

We will update you regarding the welfare of Bailey as soon as we have information. We know that she is in good hands and everything will be done to ensure a complete recovery.

Return date countdown:
https://www.timeanddate.com...

......................................................................................................
Cam-ops are back on their off-season sunrise and sunset schedule, so join us for wonderful pictures and see how Muscongus Bay changes during the seasons. I am pretty sure, one or another cam-op will show us more about the local wildlife as it comes into view. The cam remains live, occasionally glitches provided... ;-))

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:11 pm 

SWINWK wrote:
Bev, their plan is to release for migration. Some believe there is time for "heal and release" as the Newfoundland osprey do not leave until October for migration. Also, I have read that Bailey will be able to learn to fish without Steve. Both of these statements I do not fully understand as to why osprey further north wait later to depart and why have we been told the fathers stay with the offspring to "feed" and "teach to fish" after their mothers leave for migration. Do the Newfoundland osprey not travel as far south as other osprey for wintering grounds. I understand they might hatch later and that does affect when they would leave. But, Bailey's time to leave and be successful for her age and abilities would be sooner. I remember reading this season of a newly fledged osprey catching it's own fish and bringing it to the nest to eat while still obviously wet from the dive with photo documentation. Everyone was shocked this fledge was capable of that skill so soon. It was either a nest in the northwest of the USA or one located in the United Kingdom, I do not remember which. I've also read osprey do not do well in captivity.There is so much more for me to learn and understand of the osprey! But, I'm sure pulling for Miss Bailey!! :flirty:

thanks SWINK. I am pulling for bailey also. Our osprey in Canada would leave later as do our falcons.they are all back later than USA birds. our falcons are on how much daylight there is , so I would presume ospreys the same.
I am pulling for Bailey also. will probably be able to pick up scraps of fish that others have left behind also. I do nto know if hey ar like eagles, but they gather together and feed.

good luck Bailey. :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:22 pm 

Bailey update per Steve Kress:

Dear Friends of Bailey: I received a message this morning from the rehabilitators who are looking after Bailey. Several veterinarians and the rehabilitators did an assessment this past Thursday that included new x-rays. They have found that while the fracture in her right wing has healed some, there is still a gap and she will need to stay in rehabilitation for another month or two before they will know if her wing has healed sufficiently for her to be released. The deep wound from the eagle attack has healed. They are doing everything they can to give her a chance to return to the wild and she is fortunate to have such excellent care. Steve Kress

For those, who would like to donate on behalf of Bailey, here is the necessary Information:
Steve Kress told me recently, that all donations that were made after several rescues of Bailey, were forwarded to the rehabber. Entirely! Here are the links again, if you refer to Bailey, the money will reach the correct facility.
Audubon Hog Island
https://act.audubon.org/onl...
Friends of Hog Island
http://fohi.org/support/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:39 am 

will do .

hope they keep Bailey till next season now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:26 am 

:halcat: Bailey update from Steve Kress that I was not expecting, but lets hope it's CROW! :spring1:

Poppy Mod • 3 days ago
Please unfold to see all information!

Hallo, osprey friends!

UPDATE REGARDING BAILEY
"X-rays demonstrate that Bailey’s wing continues to slowly heal, but the rehabilitators think that at the rate of healing, she will require another 2-3 months of continued care. Keeping her in Maine’s climate for that length of time would not be in her best interest. So, transfer to another rehabilitation facility in the southeastern U.S. is likely. Here she would be in a climate where other ospreys winter and where she could hopefully be released when she has completely healed. Here is a recent photo that shows she is looking good- benefiting from a diet of Atlantic herring.

:flirty: Gorgeous!

The rehabilitators join me in sending their thanks to the 45 people that have donated a total of $2,285 to Audubon for Bailey. These funds have been sent to the rehabilitators. Additional funds were also sent to Friends of Hog Island for Bailey and these funds will also help meet her medical and rehabilitation expenses. Thanks to everyone for remembering Bailey and for all of the good wishes.
My best, Steve Kress"

For those, who would like to donate on behalf of Bailey, here is the necessary Information (if you refer to Bailey, the money will reach the correct facility):
Audubon Hog Island
https://act.audubon.org/onl...
Friends of Hog Island
http://fohi.org/support/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:39 am 

thanks Swink. I am so happy they are thinking of baileys best interests. to put Bailey in a place where the ospreys migrate to is a good move. Kudoos to them. For that alone, I will donate. This shows what smart caring people they are :loveheart: bailey is so gorgeous. and we will be able to know where he is , with bands , when released and nests . only positive thoughts here

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:02 pm 

:halcat: Bailey in Florida:

Poppy Mod • 12 hours ago
Hi. Osprey friends! Here is the latest update regarding Bailey, provided as usual by Steve Kress:
November 10, 2017

Dear Friends of Bailey
I am pleased to report that yesterday morning Bailey was transferred from Avian Haven in Maine to the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey in Maitland, Florida as their 799th raptor patient of the year. She continues to be in good hands as the Florida Center has treated more than 20,000 raptors.

Bailey was driven to Boston’s Logan Airport, placed aboard a direct Delta flight to Orlando and met by staff from the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey. According to the Center staff she “looked fabulous” on arrival. She will be placed in a 55’ long flight pen with two other ospreys where her recovery will continue. Bailey’s assisted migration to Florida was just ahead of an advancing Arctic cold front that dropped the first snow fall of the year in Maine. This was great timing for Bailey as ospreys prefer warmer temperatures. It’s interesting to see the layers of clothing that Baileys holder in Maine is wearing and the contrasting t-shirt of her receiver in Florida! The Audubon Center for Birds of Prey will post occasional updates about her progress on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/AudubonCenterforBirdsofPrey/
It is with great pleasure that I thank the staff of Avian Haven for their great care for Bailey and for arranging the transport to Florida. We are very pleased that her recovery will continue at this important Audubon facility that specializes in the recovery of birds of prey. Somehow it seems appropriate that Bailey has found her way from one Audubon Sanctuary to a new Audubon home. Both Hog Island and the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey are owned and managed by National Audubon Society.

Many thanks to the many Bailey friends that made gifts to Hog Island for Bailey’s support. More than $3,000 was received from 85 friends for Bailey’s care at Avian Haven and her transport to Florida. An additional $1,500 for Bailey was received by Friends of Hog Island and these funds will go to the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey to help support Bailey while she continues to heal. She is one lucky osprey to have so many friends!

Steve Kress, Director Hog Island Audubon Camp

Photos from Maine and Florida attached
1. Bailey leaves Avian Haven in Maine
2. Bailey in Travel Box
3. Bailey welcomed to the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey in Florida
I think another reason I am so drawn to her is that "hairdo" reminds me of beloved "Lady from Loch of the Lowes!" :teehee:

And here is a photo of "Hank" an education ambassador @ "Audubon Center for Birds of Prey" in Florida welcoming Bailey to her new home! :flirty: Here is a Q&A from FB site I thought was interesting about "Hank" : How do you feed Hank? I thought they will only eat what they catch and it was very hard to feed osprey in captivity?
Audubon Center for Birds of Prey: Hank is non-releasable to the wild because as a young bird he became habituated to humans. As a result he's being glove-trained and eats like a champ on his own.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:28 am 

Link posted on RRP about Bailey
Your records here are better than RRP
Bailey's DAD? attacked her??????????????????
http://www.audubon.org/news/the-saga-co ... and-osprey

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:43 am 

:halcat: Bailey update:

Poppy Mod • 3 days ago
Hello Osprey fans!

Laura from the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey posted news about our warrior princess on Facebook:

"Yesterday [Monday] was a big day for patient 799-17 aka Bailey the Osprey. She made it up to the high perch in our 55' rehabilitation barn!

Up until now, she's been doing low flights and spending all her time on the lower perches. Being able to fly up to these higher perches is a good sign that her rehab is progressing; but she will require much more time to build up conditioning and stamina. Small victories like this help give us hope, as Bailey's possible release depends on continued improvement in her rehabilitation.

In the photo, Bailey is on the right and Osprey 230-17 aka “Burn” is on the left. Burn was so named as he flew through a methane flare stack and singed all his major flight feathers."

:flirty:

and a close-up of Bailey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:45 pm 

thank you SWINK for keeping us informed. fingers crossed but hope sh e is there for a few more months. it would be to her advantage.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:39 pm 

:rudired: The saga of Bailey from Audubon with "THE" hopeful outcome shared by all of us (be sure to read the next to the last paragraph):

:rudired: This rehab center recently released another osprey with similar injury after 4 month rehab!! They say she has a chance!! :flirty:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next