Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: COLUMBUS, OH Osprey Nest ~ 2016-2017
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:21 pm 

:egg15: Oh, oh! That's doesn't sound good! Thanks for finding out for us Vlu328!!! :eggthumb:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:51 am 

The cam is back! All three osprey chicks seem to be doing well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:19 am 
Global Moderator

Many thanks vlu328 !!

Yea-we still have 3 :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:26 am 

My how they've grown! Dad just dropped off a nice, whole fish (head intact) for the family. Only one chick was interested in eating at first, the other two still had full crops from earlier feeds. I noticed that all three chicks are developing pin feathers and clown feet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:00 pm 

:clap:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:04 pm 

A wet and rainy day today, but the three osprey chicks are still doing well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:16 pm 

:eggthumb:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:24 pm 

Just got to see them! Wish Dad would come in to help shelter them from the wind and rain. One chick is sorta on it's own.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:52 pm 

:flirty: The nest bowl has leveled out. Mom is with her 3 chicks enjoying the sun and wind! They have grown so much!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:43 am 

The cam is offline again. According to the TV station, the cam is obscured with poo, so they won't be showing it online again until they can clean it off. The cam is equipped with a wiper, but from what I've seen it doesn't do any good unless it is raining when they use it. We might get some rain later today, otherwise Columbus isn't expecting rain again until Thursday. I told them that they should show the nest online anyway because we can usually see things going on in the background. It didn't seem to sway them. A little more encouragement might help, if anyone would like to call the number is 614-481-6666.

These pictures are from yesterday, June 25th. This was around 8 or 9 in the morning:

This was taken between 6 and 7 PM. The cam went offline shortly after.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:28 am 

They're back online! At least for now.

Mom is feeding a chick to her far left that cannot be seen on cam. The chick to her immediate right is helping him/herself to the meal. The chick on the far right just looks unimpressed with the whole situation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:38 am 

Thanks for such great updates.... I never seem to turn the cam on at the right time.
Wonder if this is the same couple we watched last year? This pair seems to be ON THE BALL! So glad the chicks look so feisty and healthy!

:eggthumb:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:24 pm 

I really hope I'm wrong, but I think one of the chicks may have died today. The chick on the far right in this photo hasn't moved in the last 6 hours. I can't see any signs of it breathing. Today was probably the warmest day we've had so far this year -- close to 90 degrees. The next few days are supposed to be a little cooler, so I hope the other two chicks do ok.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:29 pm 

The web camera had been aimed at downtown Columbus all morning. It just moved over to the nest a few minutes ago. Unfortunately, the chick I was worried about still hasn't moved. The heat yesterday must have been too much for it. :sum7:

Can anyone tell me what to expect now? Will the parents remove the deceased chick, or will they do what eagles do...?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:30 pm 

:sorrow: From what I have seen, Dad will probably remove it, although it could be a few days away yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:50 pm 
Global Moderator

Oh gosh-I was so hoping all 3 would make it.
It was hot yesterday and today.
RIP little one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:49 am 

Extreme frustration here!

For various reasons, the nest has only been viewable sporadically over the last few days. I have been given so many varied explanations by the tv station that I cannot believe them all to be true. Some people that I've spoken to seem very knowledgeable about the nest and how to get it broadcast on their website. Others, instead of admitting "I don't know anything about that", will make up an excuse. Today's excuse is that the web team hasn't come in yet. From past calls I've learned that the web team aren't the only ones who can control the broadcast.

A young man that I spoke to twice yesterday was very helpful. The first time, I explained that I was concerned about the nest because one of the chicks appeared to have died on Thursday and the other two chicks had been panting heavily, even as the sun was setting. He said he would pass it along, and apparently he did because the nest went online about 20 minutes later. The nest stayed online for the next 3 hours or so, then they switched over to a live feed about the New York hospital shootings which took up the rest of the afternoon. When I checked back later in the evening they were broadcasting a skyline that was definitely not Columbus. I'm guessing it was New York. I called again and was connected to the same young man as earlier. He said he would try to get the nest back online but he wasn't sure there was anyone around who could do it (apparently there wasn't, because the dreaded "We'll be right back" message came on later). He also told me that they had someone from ODNR (which would be the Ohio Department of Natural Resources) view the nest and they felt the chick had probably died due to the high heat on Thursday. They also said that the remaining two chicks seemed to be doing fine at that time.

That is a relief, but I am still concerned. For one, during the 3 hours the nest was online yesterday there were no fish deliveries (I did catch the tail end of a feeding when the camera first came online, so they did at least get fed). Dad didn't show up once. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen Dad at the nest since earlier this week, possibly Tuesday, but I'm not sure. On Wednesday I saw Mom bring a fish to the nest. On Thursday I saw Mom pick up a chunk of leftover fish from the nest and start feeding the two surviving chicks. Now, since the nest hasn't been online much in the last few days, Dad's visits could easily have been missed. I hope that's the case!

Another concern I have is there have been instances over the last few days where Mom appears to be calling out repeatedly. Whether she's calling out for Dad or warning off intruders, I do not know. Yesterday just before the cam went offline, I'd say she was definitely warning off an intruder. She was standing protectively over the two chicks while looking up and swiveling her head around calling out:

I hope everything's ok and I'm just worrying about nothing. I may end up making a field trip just to confirm that there are still two adults around the nest.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:57 pm 

I did end up making a field trip yesterday and spent about an hour and a half watching the nest. During that time the only activity I saw was a bird that had been perched on the tower a couple of rungs under the nest flew out and went up to land in the nest. I couldn't even tell if it was an osprey or not (though it probably was) much less if it was Mom or Dad.

This morning I made yet another call to the tv station and this time I believe I got the truth -- they purposely were not showing the nest online because of the deceased chick in the nest. He assured me that the two remaining chicks were still doing well. I asked if the father had been seen recently and he didn't know. He said one parent was definitely around but they hadn't thought to watch for both.

When I checked around 4:00 the nest was online and the deceased chick was gone. I waited around to see if Dad would show up, but just before 5:00 they turned the camera around to face downtown, probably for the evening newscast.

Here's a photo of the two surviving chicks. I noticed that they have started standing up on their feet for a few seconds at a time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:41 am 
Global Moderator

Many thanks vlu328 for your concern and coverage.
I was hoping that the babies would be big enough to cope
with the heat this year. Lets hope the parents can
bring in enough food for the 2 remaining to fledge.

Thanks again...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Many thanks from me too!! I really appreciate how you've taken this nest under your wing (no pun intended) and become an advocate. I know that Donna is aware of this nest. I wonder if she has become involved in any way!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next