Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Southern USA Eagles 2018 & 2019
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:27 pm 

:clap: What a surprise @ Dale Hollow!! I just saw DH6, DH7, DH8 all out of the bole hugged up against the tree trunk. DH8 was showing off his "clown feet"! River was on the "love branch" @ the time, but now all 5 eagles are on the nest as I leave!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:23 pm 

Pleasant Lake, AZ

© 2018, Arizona Game and Fish Department

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:40 pm 

Pleasant Lake, AZ

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:51 pm 

All 5 eagles are home @ Dale Hollow, with Obey seen on the far left branch during the swing-out. River is on the nest with the 2 of the chicks against the trunk and who I believe is DH6 moving about the nest. It(6) is huge!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:33 pm 

Nice Article from AZGFD Lake Pleasant AZ

Bald eagle cam viewers tune in as hatch date looms

PHOENIX — Call it: “Egg Watch 2019.”

Beginning Sunday, March 31 all eyes will be trained on the Arizona Game and Fish Department’s live-streaming bald eagle camera and the egg carefully nestled inside a cliffside nest on Lake Pleasant. It’s then when the fourth — and lone surviving — egg laid by a pair of nesting bald eagles will have completed its 35-day incubation period, meaning the egg could begin hatching at any moment.

“The current breeding season has been a roller coaster for viewers and wildlife enthusiasts alike,” said Jeff Meyers, AZGFD watchable wildlife program coordinator. Since the department’s live-streaming bald eagle camera went live Dec. 18 more than 320,600 people have tuned in for the ensuing drama.

“The first egg was eaten by ravens. The second was eaten or damaged by a ringtail,” Meyers said. Egg three? Ravens, once again. “During this period, the birds also continued to ward off multiple attacks from a rival adult bald eagle that repeatedly dive-bombed the nest. All this remarkable activity was broadcasted live to thousands of online viewers who now have a greater appreciation for Arizona’s wildlife.”

On Feb. 24 — one day after losing the third egg — the female laid a fourth. This time the new nesting pair drew from hard lessons about the importance of ensuring the egg was incubated at all times and the need to work together to ward off predators looking for their next easy meal.

The eggs were the first for this breeding eagle pair, after the previous male was bested by another bird early into the current breeding season. However, the new male’s youth and inexperience was quickly exhibited as he struggled to grasp his role in caring for and protecting vulnerable eggs.

“These events highlight the unpredictable challenges wildlife face on a daily basis,” said Kenneth “Tuk” Jacobson, AZGFD raptor management coordinator. “There is a moderate chance the fourth egg may hatch, but if it does, the eaglet will continue to face life-threatening challenges. It will need constant adult care and protection from predators for the first three weeks, but its chances for survival will increase each day until it successfully fledges from the nest in 10 to 12 weeks.”

Records show the bald eagle population at Lake Pleasant has grown since 1993 and 28 birds have since survived to take their first flight, known as fledging. In this nest, two eggs were laid with the previous male in early January 2018 and each hatched the following month. The two young successfully fledged in late April 2018.

The Arizona Game and Fish Department Lake Pleasant bald eagle live-streaming camera is funded through Heritage and Pittman Robertson funds, and public donations. Those wishing to support the Watchable Wildlife program can click the “donate now” button after selecting which live camera feed to view at http://www.azgfd.gov/livecams.

To support the department’s effort to conserve and protect Arizona’s more than 800 native wildlife species, the public can purchase a Conservation Membership package at http://www.azwildlifehero.com and clicking on “support us” and “become a member.” Different membership levels come with special perks, from a beautiful set of wildlife notecards to an annual subscription to Arizona Wildlife Views Magazine.

The bald eagle cam is the fourth wildlife camera offered by the department, which also provides seasonal views of wintering sandhill cranes in southeastern Arizona, a bat roost at Cluff Ranch Wildlife Area and an underwater pupfish cam. All the live streams can be viewed at http://www.azgfd.gov/livecams.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:23 pm 

arizona

thanks gigi. I have been monitoring for this site and last few days have not been so good. away for 3 hours sometimes, but I am still keeping the faith. this started yesterday and I think jack is confused and not knowing what to do.
having said this , they do not have a tree to perch in and I saw the eagles at Eagle country, off the eggs for hours at a time close to hatching. they were perched in tree, so I am thinking jack and Jill are close by.

I will be back Sunday night so I am hoping to see good things. :1val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:24 pm 

Pleasant Lake, AZ

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:43 pm 

bev. wrote:
arizona

thanks gigi. I have been monitoring for this site and last few days have not been so good. away for 3 hours sometimes, but I am still keeping the faith. this started yesterday and I think jack is confused and not knowing what to do.
having said this , they do not have a tree to perch in and I saw the eagles at Eagle country, off the eggs for hours at a time close to hatching. they were perched in tree, so I am thinking jack and Jill are close by.

I will be back Sunday night so I am hoping to see good things. :1val:
Lake Pleasant has mild temps, 76º F (24.44º C), so I am not so concerned about these eggs not being incubated. I worry more about the ravens, ringtails, and other predators that might be lurking.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:01 pm 

Pleasant Lake, AZ

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:45 pm 

Quite the rain storm in Dale this eve. It's slowing down now. Hope the babes stayed dry, River and Obey didn't!! Supposed to turn colder here after this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:34 pm 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:07 pm 

SWINWK wrote:
Quite the rain storm in Dale this eve. It's slowing down now. Hope the babes stayed dry, River and Obey didn't!! Supposed to turn colder here after this.

Dale Hollow
All 3 Eaglets looking great after the storm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:03 pm 

:spring1: Thank you so much, kittenface!! :spring1:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:45 pm 

SWINWK wrote:
:spring1: Thank you so much, kittenface!! :spring1:

:eggthumb:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:18 pm 

:buzzybee: Dale Hollow had a sub-adult intruder on the nest tree earlier today! Obey was on duty and I love how he mantled his babies initially. The incident lasted for 20 minutes till River came in and chased the intruder off. This is an edited version (very short) of event per Mod MSO, DH2019 Intruder lands in Nest Tree 04/01/19

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:49 pm 

:15heartbeat: Dale Hollow chicks are getting so big now, both parents are sleeping off the nest!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:04 pm 

Dale Hollow :7val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:13 am 

Pleasant Lake, AZ - The game is over, nest abandoned
Quote:
Updated April 3, 2019 - AZGFD:

The typical incubation period for bald eagles is 35 days.
The latest egg was laid Feb. 24 and, perhaps sensing it was abnormal,
was destroyed by the female eagle April 2 (37 days later)

While this was a disappointing development, much was learned about
the behaviors of this fascinating species. The department is hopeful the pair will return
to the nest site next year and provide more web cam experiences for our viewers.
https://www.azgfd.com/wildlife/viewing/ ... deaglecam/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:14 am 

:spring1: kittenface!! The DH chicks are looking gorgeous!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:01 am 

arizona

I know they say egg was not viable, but it was. female tried to help hatch but I believe that eaglet died trying to hatch. she really tried and it was heartbreaking to see her . she was so confused and kept leaving nest and coming back. first video shows everything seemed O.k.. Last video , she tried to pull egg back to incubate. The egg appeared to collapse a bit( this happened at sauces and Dr.Sharpe explained why this happens sometimes) . the difference is experience. Jill tried to o hard to help by taking pieces of shell off , female at sauces was experienced an d let chick very slowly come out on its own.

Everything is for a reason and I do believe Jack lost his mojo. Meaning his time clock was confused and he did little after march 27. being young, this was a long time from first clutch to now. it was hoped that it would kick in once chick born. this was a blessing , in a way, as a lot were worried if chick could survive the extreme heat, while young. remember we were over a month beyond , when first clutch would have hatched. makes a difference.
But I was proud of them. they tried hard. I watched them grow. they built a super nest. Jack kept building up . He learned to defend form ravens , he brought home some fish. They both shared incubating duties superbly. so if they both maintain this site, they will succeed nest year :15heartbeat:

here are 4 parts to events explanation in the video

part one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN6Hruf4tvc&t=52s
part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQG6XQMOwm4&t=31s
part3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgTwIS6kf1A&t=38s
part4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiSwsqqPefk&t=13s

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next