Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: CLEVELAND~2015
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Matrix!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:19 am 
Site Admin

Well Duh....I just now realized the cam has been stuck since 9/28...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:28 am 
Site Admin

I thought I'd make a trip over to the forum to see if I could gather any info about the cam. There were a few cam/website inquires from faithful followers. Here is the tail end of that conversation...for those that don't visit that forum:

Cecillia: This morning I sent an email to Steve, as well as to Harvey Webster. I don't expect any response before Monday. The third camera went down on September 28th, the day after my mother died. Life's events have a way of setting their own priorities.

I have said before, and will say again, if anyone else would like to take over this volunteer position of monitoring the falcon cam forums, feel free to contact me and I can put that change in motion.

bobbytimewarp: i'm very sorry about your loss, Ceil....

C & C: Thanks again for trying to help to get the cams working, Cecilia, especially as you deal with more important life issues. I know that we all appreciate all that you have done over the years for this website and our frustration that the cams are so inconsistent is not at all personally aimed at you. The cams are obviously very important if we're going to try to keep up with this pair/nest site, particularly with the downtown construction and security increases. I'm trying to "pick my spots" these days because it isn't very convenient to go there at this time, so getting a sense of what's happening via the cams is very helpful. To be honest, without the cams running I'm just not that compelled to check much.

We have seen flashes of the pair here and there from the nearby Hope Memorial Bridge, as I've mentioned, but now it has been awhile. There was an intruding adult female with only one silver band on her right leg at a nearby "hangout" of the HMB pair that was bold enough to approach Bolt while Cuyahoga was perched only a few feet away from him. She was quickly chased off by Cuyahoga, but I have to believe this female could "start trouble" with Newt as well. I'll repost this part to log this update where it belongs.

Carly: Thank you for the update C&C, I expect when and if the cams come up - we'll see some changes here.

Cecilia, thank you for all your efforts and I am very sorry for your loss. Stay strong.

C & C: Yes, thank you Cecilia, as we know that you are doing all you can to get the cams running again.

I decided to try not to impulsively post before about what I think needs to be said about this website, but the more I think about it the more I want to "speak up".

I really don't want to offend anyone and this is not meant to point fingers or issue blame, but I think we all need to acknowledge that this website isn't any where near what it used to be to those who have followed it over the years. I don't know how we can "fix" it, but I think we need to talk about "the elephant in the living room" if we want it to get better.

Personally, I have gone through my own transitions in terms of what I want/expect my role to be in following, appreciating, and continually learning about peregrines, particularly as we are no longer needed as monitors, they will no longer be banded in Ohio, and their population is considered to be "recovered" sufficiently to the point that they don't carry the same "clout" as a protected species. My interest in this website represents only one element of that transition.

I have appreciated that CMNH has provided a valuable resource over the years with live cam updates and many dedicated individuals who have kept the site going as well as followers who have enriched it greatly. I can't help but to see the current inconsistency/unreliability of the cams and the slow follow-through in fixing problems as a loss of interest or purpose for this website.

As I mentioned before, I'd like to be a part of the solution instead of part of the problem, yet the way that I became involved in checking this nest after Scott suddenly "retired" has left me feeling very disconnected. I try to "bridge the gap" for those who remain very interested in following this site as well as other peregrine websites/pages, but I don't know what's going on any more than anyone else.

If we can somehow come together to decide the direction of this website and each person's commitment level I think it would be helpful for all. Cecilia, I understand that you need to turn your attention to other more important matters, but I want you to know that I am willing to communicate with any of the administrators to help this site to get back to what it was and/or improve with the times.

Sorry to ramble, but my objective is to try to pull together to improve this site. Without that, I am among those losing interest in being involved with it and I'm starting to think that it may not be worth the time or energy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:24 am 
Will try to get over to downtown, sometime before Christmas. Up that way a couple times a month. The tray was very visible from the plaza, but there is an enormous construction project there. I do know that the Cleveland Museum of Natural History is undergoing major changes for the better, so Harvey probably has his hands full.
I think Newton will be just fine. She did not hold her former territory for all those years becasue she is docile. :teehee:

Stacker though... :leafwirl:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:41 pm 
:woohoo: Cam Three is on at the moment 8:39pm est

Headed up there this weekend to visit family. Will swing by to see if there are any viewing spots.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:33 am 
Hello Newton! :loveheart:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:53 am 
Global Moderator

:pumpbounce: :pumpbounce: :pumpbounce:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:12 pm 

Just noticed cam 3 is back. Yipee! :sum9: Glad to see Newt is still there. She still looks like she's molting, unless she's been fighting. When I checked the archives this morning, someone was home at ~11:20 am, but it doesn't look like Newt. The hood is too dark and solid. I believe it's Stacker, but not sure. Couldn't see the bands.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:03 pm 
Newton looks relaxed in this set. She does not stay long though. It isn't raining there but High winds for the greater Cleveland area.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:28 pm 
Day Two and still no interaction, on cam, between Newton and this guy. He does not behave like Stacker was, unless Stacker has become very comfortable at the tray now.
Okay, everyone think; show some legs!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:20 pm 

:gaaaaah: I know! Looking at the archives today that pertain to your post Matrix, I see that both Newt and Stacker (if it is him) aren't giving us any leg...lol. Newton looks good in today's pics. Stacker has very dark bands on both legs, unlike Newt. The hood markings appear to be his, but not 100% certain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:07 am 
Site Admin

Not that I'm biased or anything, but since we lost Boomer, Stacker BETTER still be there...(not that we have any proof of Stacker being the cause of his death...yes, still sad about that loss...)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:07 am 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:00 am 
Coriena wrote:

Coriena :leafthumbsup:

I am going to trust my gut, and say it's not Stacker. These two seem to be just starting to bond. If Stacker is a lengthy migrant, I think he would lose any site in a heavily population of non-migratory peregrine's.

PS the rotating Blank archive page will be in the noon hour today. any current page captures will be avail until it turns to 1:04pm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:21 pm 

ImageImageImageImage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:03 am 
No Luck on any close-up's when we went downtown. Got there much later than I wanted to, however, saw both. Newton flew in and landed on the corner above the 55, where she sat until we left, and tiercel soared around in the shadow of the Key tower before heading west. I wonder if he is from the Bohn building pair, if he is not Stacker.

This morning's cam captures of him: :leafwirl:

My pics from Saturday afternoon, 4pm-ish....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:47 pm 

Thanks for making the effort to go down there Matrix. :leafthumbsup: In comparing the many pics of Stacker on the CMNH forum with the recent cam pics here, I have to agree with Coriena, I don't believe this is Stacker. This bird appears fuller with a more rounded head. I'm not surprised, as I don't believe Stacker has held a territory. I wonder who he is? It looks like there may be a band on the bird's L leg in the latest cam pic. Wonder if C&C will be down there anytime soon. There was another bonding session this morning. Lots of courtship going on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent pics, Matrix!!! If not Stacker, then who...(I wonder)...such a heavily saturated falcon area!! There is no telling who will be here come nesting season!! :nervous: Still really bums me out that we lost Boomer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:26 am 
Newton sat at the tray most of the mid-day yesterday, with a huge crop to start. (No captures posted) Never saw a tiercel.

On CMNH forum section is the listing of all the pairs that live around downtown, ie (Cuyahoga County Falcons section)

That pair the live at the Bohn building ((very close to Terminal Tower)) were older too. That is why I thought maybe this male was going between the two sites temporarily.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:11 am 
Site Admin

11/16

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next