Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROCHESTER, NY ~ 2015
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

What the heck are they doing at the Powers Building Nest box? maybe they're just trying to stay away from the kids...I hope they don't decide to move...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:21 pm 

And she's still there! So nice to see some falcon juvies! :5val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:17 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
What the heck are they doing at the Powers Building Nest box? maybe they're just trying to stay away from the kids...I hope they don't decide to move...

We don't know but Beauty, especially, has spent a lot of time IN the box and DC sits in front of it or on the railing. Cadence found the nest box not too long after fledging, and, before we knew it, the whole family was hanging out there. Some of us have thought that their apparent aversion to TS has something to do with Bronx being hurt on that building. Powers box was put up in late 2008 and I don't recall a Falcon ever being seen on there before this. There were cameras at one time but all but one is on TSB and that one broke about a year ago. Shaky had permission from the DEC a few years ago to take the Powers box down but never did because the Falcons never showed any interest..people speculated it was because of the flag on top but guess that's not the case. From the Powers building, there is a straight line view to Kodak, Seneca Towers (where Billie and Seth are) and Kodak Park so maybe they prefer that view now..don't know. There's talk the Powers Box will be taken down sometime this fall but will it bring Beauty and DC back to TS? Stay tuned.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:02 pm 

carly wrote:
Taking down the box won't 'bring them back' if they want to move, we've learned that the hard way up here. Peregrine Falcons nest where they want to for their own reasons known only to them. There are many pairs that move between boxes, Louie and Dori have been doing it in Pittsburgh the past few years.

I really wish they'd leave up the Powers box in case they do decide to move there. I personally believe it's to do with the new pair - Billie and Seth. A new pair setting up a new territory changes the dynamics - we've seen that here with the new nest at the Rogers Centre, which is likely why Erin and Stormin switched 'ledges' this Spring. Anyway if B and DC decide to move, they will move and I'd rather they had a nest box waiting for them. Wouldn't be that hard to throw up a cam over there if that's the case - inconvenient maybe but that's life.

It's also possible they may go back once the kids are gone and they have no offspring to protect from a neighboring pair but I don't want to see a box taken down just because people may be inconvenienced, it should be about offering them a choice assuming the building is good with hosting them.

A few of us have said for years.."why keep the Powers box up and invite trouble?" Now it looks like they want to make a change, for whatever reason, and it's sad to think we might not be watching them next season. Shaky told me the plans are to take the box down and he posted on the Forum he believes Beauty and DC will come back to TS, after the Powers box comes down, so I believe it will be taken down. They have been seen on the higher areas of TS, DC more than Beauty, but just don't go anywhere near the box. I also feel Beauty & DC are inviting trouble vacating the TS building..prime spot for a new pair to move in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:52 pm 

just my two cents

but before I start I signed the repetition also and stated my reasons

When we were out at pembina yesterday . the falcon expert, friend of Gords, was telling us that most peregrines like an option, meaning they like to know they have an alternate site to go to . that is why out on the Pemibna , they created a few more scrapes for them. All have been looked out , by the droppings in them.

So just because we see them using the same site, they like options. thus Bell had a different option, and chose it this year, but now season is over they are back at Bell.

We can never second guess these raptors. They do what they do for their own reasons , whether we approve or not :girlyes:

We have seen this with eagles also.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:56 pm 

bev. wrote:
just my two cents

but before I start I signed the repetition also and stated my reasons

When we were out at pembina yesterday . the falcon expert, friend of Gords, was telling us that most peregrines like an option, meaning they like to know they have an alternate site to go to . that is why out on the Pemibna , they created a few more scrapes for them. All have been looked out , by the droppings in them.

So just because we see them using the same site, they like options. thus Bell had a different option, and chose it this year, but now season is over they are back at Bell.

We can never second guess these raptors. They do what they do for their own reasons , whether we approve or not :girlyes:

We have seen this with eagles also.

Thanks for signing, Bev. It'll be interesting to see what happens down the road with the nest box situation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:14 am 

:thumbup

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:27 pm 

I could not watch videos as I like our mallards, but WOW

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:54 pm 

Sad news..It looks like Beauty and DC have decided to switch over to the Powers Building. Shaky did get the one of the old cameras working over there, that shows the inside of the box..currently Cam5. Beauty hasn't been to the TS nest box since July 5th and DC made a brief appearance there Aug. 28th but watchers have seen them both in and around the Powers Box several times over the last few months. The box is about 20 yrs old and leaks but with all the Peregrines north of the city, it appears to give them a better look at what's going on plus some of us wonder if Bronx getting hurt on TS made them switch. Anyway, here's some pics from what appears to be a bonding session at Powers.

On a happier note, Genesee is still being seen around Rochester interacting with both his parents! What's with that boy?!?

Report by MAK:

http://rfalconcam.com/falconwatching/?p=35055

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:35 pm 
Global Moderator

Oh no Kris-what will we do for the 2016 season??
Fix the leaks and get a better cam situation?

Many thanks for keeping us updated!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:51 pm 

Beth wrote:
Oh no Kris-what will we do for the 2016 season??
Fix the leaks and get a better cam situation?

Many thanks for keeping us updated!

I asked Shaky, who runs the show..so far, he isn't saying. He's got to be more disappointed than we are that they've switched, after all he's done to get the 5 cameras set up at TS. The Powers box is the original that was located on Kodak from the late 90's and relocated after Kodak requested it be moved. Yesterday, when it rained, you could see the water dripping onto the stones from the roof plus it showed leaking on the side. I guess we just have to be happy that they have another box to go to, seeing as they want to switch locations, and there's a camera there. They say the camera's really old and the IR function is all burned out so there's no night light and who knows how long the camera itself will last.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:57 pm 
Global Moderator

:gaaaaah:
Gosh darn it Kris...
Just when we think we have everything
sorted out...

Thanks again for the info/updates!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:46 am 

What a shame that B & DC are apparently abandoning their nestbox at TS after all the work to give them a wonderful set-up & great views for us. Glad Shaky was able to install a cam at Powers. Are they still planning on removing the nestbox at Powers before nesting season, Kris?

Loved hearing that Genesee is still coming to visit. We've seen that happen once in a while--usually because the young one is injured, but Genesee doesn't seem to be injured.
:flirty:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

carly wrote:
I'm not sure why you guys aren't upset about them removing the box? Is it more important that we have photo ops and cam ops or is the fact that the falcons seem to feel they need to change locations for their safety not important to anyone? Is everyone thinking they're just 'dumb birds' and they'll go where we tell them to go? You know there is a blind spot at their other location? Remember when Unity drove Beauty into the ground? Remember when Pigott came to visit and B was unaware?

Have you met 'Frankie'? If she's anything like her mother - and I'm pretty sure based on what I've seen so far that she is - she'll attempt to take that site as it's the best site in the area and when she drives Beauty into the pavement like her mother loves to do to birds here - will everyone feel better then because at least they got to take photos of her dead body? Or are we just going to pretend it's okay, it's nature?

It's not about 'us' - it should be about 'them'. What the heck is wrong with everyone?

I'm not quite sure how to respond to this...not sure I have much right to since I've been really behind with this site this year, but I can certainly empathize with your strong feelings!!...but, here goes...

Personally, for me, safety for B and DC are top priority. If they choose to permanently move to the Powers location, then so be it. We all know that the "if you build it, they will come" approach does not work for Falcons, so setting up boxes, willy-nilly just does not work. Even if there is the slim possibility they will stay at Powers, then I would hope they would replace that box. with or without a cam. I'm not familiar with the location, so not sure how hard that would be. We also don't know, with certainty, that they have actually moved...and probably won't know until Spring courtship. I keep thinking of the female from the WE nest (is it Tahoe?) who just loves to spend her winters at the nest box down the street (Biosci)...Every spring we always worry that she'll "fight to the death" with the resident female upon her return... but she always returns to her WE nest for the season. the resident female gets her box back, and all's right with the world..most of the time...

I personally would gain no pleasure out of any bird being mortally wounded...or even driven from their home. I don't think there is anyone on this forum that would find pleasure in that...and if there is, then that person does not belong here..

Definitely an emotional issue for many...I remember when Donna added that other box near the Rhodes Tower...I freaked out, thinking that Durand and Spark were no longer welcome at the Rhodes Tower and were hoping they would choose to move..thankfully they stayed at the Rhodes (and are still there), but still could change their minds for 2016..or even worse, another pair could attempt to move in...(can't think about that now)..

Here's hoping B & DC return home when its time and if that doesn't happen, I just pray they replace the Powers box so that it will be safer for them. We all know that simply removing the box will not discourage them from nesting there if that is where they choose!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I certainly do hope the "powers that be" in Rochester are seriously coming up with a game plan. The Rochester falcon watch folks are the most dedicated of any group we know, anywhere!! I know the DNR protocol (or whatever you call it) is probably more complicated and sensitive than any of us know...but, hopefully they are actively working on what to do if the Powers location becomes the new home!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:43 pm 

catwoman wrote:
What a shame that B & DC are apparently abandoning their nestbox at TS after all the work to give them a wonderful set-up & great views for us. Glad Shaky was able to install a cam at Powers. Are they still planning on removing the nestbox at Powers before nesting season, Kris?

Loved hearing that Genesee is still coming to visit. We've seen that happen once in a while--usually because the young one is injured, but Genesee doesn't seem to be injured.
:flirty:

I honestly don't know what they're doing, Nancy. I've written to Carol, who works closely with Shaky, asking her to please reconsider removing the box..that Falcons like choices. I also asked on our Forum what the plans were but nobody's saying. I do think with the camera being fixed and turned back on at Powers that they might be trying to see what exactly is going on with B & DC at the box and maybe seeing them bonding there now will change their minds about taking it down.

Genesee is quite the boy! He was photographed, by a man, who saw him about 40 minutes from Rochester, on a high antenna by Lake Ontario a week or so ago. Next thing you know, he's back in Rochester crying to his parents, knocking them off buildings, Talon tagging with them..then he's not seen again for a couple days, This has been going on for quite some time and he has been seen looking for his parents cached food. He doesn't appear injured..maybe he's having trouble hunting or is just lazy? Beauty and DC don't seem to mind him being around and aren't chasing him off so who knows what's going on..another mystery!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:33 am 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Good catch, Coriena!!!

Go home, you two!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:43 am 

Thanks, Kris!

I agree with you Carly, as I'm sure most (if not all) BCAW members do. I would hate to see them remove the box at Powers if B & DC want to use it, with or without a cam. I was just hoping to hear that they've scrapped plans to remove that nestbox at Powers.
:leafwave:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Kris....

Maybe Genesee will show up!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next