Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: ROCHESTER, NY ~ 2015
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:34 am 

I am so, so sorry. After I heard of his injury, I had been checking frequently to see if there was some good news. I had hoped he would recover, but am grateful they realized that he did not deserve to suffer. I am so sorry for this loss. Fly free sweet beautiful baby boy.

:sorrow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:20 am 

RIP dear boy, :tissue:
you were doing what you were meant to do flying fast and having fun. I am so sorry for you all that followed him with love on your hearts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:44 am 

:sorrow: Heart breaking news!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:30 am 

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm just glad he had such a wonderful though too short life with wonderful parents & siblings, & he got to enjoy being a falcon for a few days. Fly high, little Bronx. :tissue:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:37 am 

Rich Calabrese, property manager of the Times Square Building and the one who found Bronx, has a theory of possibly what happened:

Rich Calabrese says:
24 June, 2015 at 9:51 AM
Good day everyone. Here’s my theory on what happened to Bronx…. Bronx flew to the top of a wall of a water drainage pit (one of four) located just under the lattice work of the Times Square Building wings. (The same type of pit that the nesting box is located in). He then hopped down off his perch, landed in the pit and curiously wandered into the base of the wings through an opening located between the pit and lattice. Once inside, he tried to fly out and probably hurt himself by flying into the lattice structure, similar to a bee trying to escape through a glass window. When he was found, he looked rather helpless but not panicking at all. He was using his wings to move along the floor but clearly wasn’t able to take flight. So, I immediately called Jenny at the DEC and she got her folks to come and take Bronx to the rehab facility. You know what happened after that. A lot of folks in the Times Square Building watch the cams and they were asking about Bronx and were concerned about his safety. This morning they got the news and everyone is sad to say the least. Hang in there folks, at least we still have the other birds flying above us.

If interested, an interesting picture tour of TSB.

http://www.rochestersubway.com/topics/2013/01/tour-rochesters-times-square-building-photos/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:48 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing that Kris...

gosh..I had no clue those wing like things were on the top of the building...Poor little Bronx...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:05 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:

gosh..I had no clue those wing like things were on the top of the building...Poor little Bronx...

Yes, very Art Deco. If his theory is right, it was just a freak accident. We're so glad Rich found Bronx in that well or we might never have known what happened to him. The 4th grade class in the Bronx, that got to name him, are so sad...a life lesson.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Kris G. wrote:
skygirlblue wrote:

Yes, very Art Deco. If his theory is right, it was just a freak accident. We're so glad Rich found Bronx in that well or we might never have known what happened to him. The 4th grade class in the Bronx, that got to name him, are so sad...a life lesson.

That is so true...very glad he was found. I had envisioned Bronx slamming feet first into the side of a building. His description of the bee slamming into a window is what scares me so much about that balcony that the Harrisburg kids always get trapped in. Happens every year..(you'd think they would cover that thing during fledge time... :egg16: ) they can't get out of it, so they slam into the side window panels in their attempt to escape. The only good thing is that its easy for humans to get to and easy to see if a kid is stuck..but, still...they've been lucky!!

Very sad for the class that named him...it reminds me of all the life lessons the Eagles4kids classes have had to endure of the past several years...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:41 pm 

hoping for success for remaining 2

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:52 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
Kris G. wrote:
skygirlblue wrote:

That is so true...very glad he was found. I had envisioned Bronx slamming feet first into the side of a building. His description of the bee slamming into a window is what scares me so much about that balcony that the Harrisburg kids always get trapped in. Happens every year..(you'd think they would cover that thing during fledge time... :egg16: ) they can't get out of it, so they slam into the side window panels in their attempt to escape. The only good thing is that its easy for humans to get to and easy to see if a kid is stuck..but, still...they've been lucky!!

Very sad for the class that named him...it reminds me of all the life lessons the Eagles4kids classes have had to endure of the past several years...

That's what we all thought..that he slammed feet first because of high speed and overconfidence. ..just a freaky thing. It was so sad, watching him "walk" with his wings, unable to move his legs, trying to get under the ladder in the shade before DEC picked him up.
I know the Eagles4Kids classes have seen the good times and the bad times..hopefully next year will be better.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:11 pm 

bev. wrote:
hoping for success for remaining 2

Well, at the same time we got word about Bronx, Cadence was found grounded. She stayed there for hours, in the company of Falcon watchers, until she finally took flight that evening from a planter to a 4-story building. She stayed there all night, took flight the next AM (a video captured by someone on the street on their camera phone of her take off and flight was shared with us), flying just a few feet above street level, down a street that fortunately was quiet or she would have been hit. She wasn't seen all day until last night, Shaky found her on the Wilder building (thank heavens for our pancam). She's been there all day so something doesn't seem right with her. She has flown, flaps her wings, eats when food is dropped off but shows no eagerness to fly. :egg16: Genesee is, so far, doing well. Watchers say he flies well, gains good height and landings are good. DC dropped off a big pigeon to him this AM then wrestled with him for it with Genesee winning. I think he's missing his playmates though..has been pushing Beauty and DC off their perches and all 3 were flying together last night.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Cadence is female, right? I wonder if that has anything to do with her clumsiness...didn't she fledge the same day as Bronx? Could she have gone too soon and is now playing catch up?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:18 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
Cadence is female, right? I wonder if that has anything to do with her clumsiness...didn't she fledge the same day as Bronx? Could she have gone too soon and is now playing catch up?

Yes, she's female and fledged a half hour after Bronx. Watchers feel she fledged too soon, has gotten into some trouble and is probably trying to get up enough confidence to fly again. They say Beauty and DC haven't been pushing her to fly so may know she needs more time.
Here's a nice article in the Rochester paper about Bronx and the story about the Bronx school kids and the posters they made for him, after they learned he was gone:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2015/06/24/young-peregrine-falcon-dies/29210285/

To correct the article, Beauty has fledged 13 off the building that includes this year's trio.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:01 pm 

:clap:

Thanks for bringing the article over Kris.

I hope Cadence is okay. This reminds me of Nettie. Didn't she have a rough landing and was on a building for a day or two before she flew again, several days after she fledged?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:03 pm 

Turned on stream to see G defeathering and I guess B close to him. He reminds me of his Dad!

:5val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:05 pm 

mw-It was Nettie who stayed on the building so long last year..would have probably stayed longer if the guy who came out of the roof door hadn't spooked her into flying off.
Cadence has flown!!! She was seen on the Powers Building this AM with Genesee and DC. The Powers Building is where the original nest box from Kodak Tower was placed after Kodak requested it be moved for renovations but the CEO really wanted it off for good. There's a camera there but, unfortunately, it died last year. Cadence discovered the building and box last week, the first Peregrine to ever be seen there since it was placed in 2008! The kids love the building, railings, box and DC/Beauty are starting to frequent the area too. DC has even been seen exploring the box! Hope they don't get any ideas in switching their nesting spot next year! :egg14:

MAK's report from yesterday with great pics of Genesee flying, carrying prey and playing on a building..he's quite the character!

http://rfalconcam.com/falconwatching/?p=31863

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:19 pm 

hope she continues to do well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:11 pm 

bev. wrote:
hope she continues to do well.

Thanks! She hasn't flown since..is resting in the Powers Building box..go figure! :eggroll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:29 pm 

Kris G. wrote:
mw-It was Nettie who stayed on the building so long last year..would have probably stayed longer if the guy who came out of the roof door hadn't spooked her into flying off.
Cadence has flown!!! She was seen on the Powers Building this AM with Genesee and DC. The Powers Building is where the original nest box from Kodak Tower was placed after Kodak requested it be moved for renovations but the CEO really wanted it off for good. There's a camera there but, unfortunately, it died last year. Cadence discovered the building and box last week, the first Peregrine to ever be seen there since it was placed in 2008! The kids love the building, railings, box and DC/Beauty are starting to frequent the area too. DC has even been seen exploring the box! Hope they don't get any ideas in switching their nesting spot next year! :egg14:

MAK's report from yesterday with great pics of Genesee flying, carrying prey and playing on a building..he's quite the character!

:girlyes:

I hope they don't go over there! That would be terrible... for us...

We lost the cam at the SF PGE site this year, and on top of that, the pair MOVED!!!!! It is believed they moved to a building in the area and had an unsuccessful nesting (they were incubating, but abandoned the eggs). In the meantime, lo and behold, 2 eggs were found at the old PGE nest. They wondered if we had a 2 falcon/1 tiercel scenario. People watched, but I don't think could ever confirm what we had going on. The 2 eggs at PGE were also abandoned.

So, as much as we think they will keep coming back, it's not always the case... Boo Hoo, especially if we have cams set up!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when Beauty arrived in Rochester, wasn't that the box that was in place, or has the TSB box always been her home?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:23 pm 

mwplay wrote:
Kris G. wrote:

:girlyes:

I hope they don't go over there! That would be terrible... for us...

We lost the cam at the SF PGE site this year, and on top of that, the pair MOVED!!!!! It is believed they moved to a building in the area and had an unsuccessful nesting (they were incubating, but abandoned the eggs). In the meantime, lo and behold, 2 eggs were found at the old PGE nest. They wondered if we had a 2 falcon/1 tiercel scenario. People watched, but I don't think could ever confirm what we had going on. The 2 eggs at PGE were also abandoned.

So, as much as we think they will keep coming back, it's not always the case... Boo Hoo, especially if we have cams set up!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when Beauty arrived in Rochester, wasn't that the box that was in place, or has the TSB box always been her home?

The same thing happened with Emily in Australia this past season. Robyn has had a cam set up on her balcony for several years, but last year the falcons moved to another balcony & we couldn't watch them. :eggsad: Dori & Louie have also moved a couple of times. Guess we can't take these nesting spots for granted.

Glad you're free now & can spend some more time with us, Carly! Good on you--you did your civic duty!
:eggup:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 33  Next