Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: COLUMBUS ~ OCTOBER-DECEMBER 2015
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:35 pm 

nice to see someone saw a falcon. I have not been able to get cams

edit to say , I just got cam. :leafthumbsup:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

:cat: Finally!! :cat:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:03 pm 

:leafthumbsup: Awesome catch there, SGB ! I just love listening to them!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:00 am 

Thank you SGB! One of my favorite sounds................

:5val: :loveheart2:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:57 am 
Global Moderator

:loveheart2: Love the video of the two of them together in the nest box! Thanks SGB.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:07 pm 

Awesome video Sky. Whenever I check the cams, it's been empty. So nice to see them doing a little bonding. :loveheart2: I love Durand's pantaloons.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:30 pm 

So great to see them!! I haven't seen anyone home when I check..

Somewhat related, we were out hiking in yellow springs over the weekend and stopped by the raptor center there and the resident peregrine they had there was none other than 2007 Columbus hatch Velocity! She looked very well fed and content. She was a bit far away so camera quality is poor, but I thought it was very neat!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:59 pm 

:cat: And I think it is very neat too! I am unfamiliar with this falcon ... what is the backstory?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

:wow: Thanks so much for the pic of Velocity!!

That was a tad before my viewing time (I think)..so, I searched Donna's Blog for info...here's the backstory:

Now the other news: remember Velocity, one of the four fledglings from the 2006 nest in Columbus? Velocity crashed into a window on one of her first flights. Eventually she ended up on the ground and was taken to a wildlife rehabilitation facility where she was given a clean bill of health--other than missing key equipment: the collision with the window had caused most of her tail and several primaries to fall out. Without these important feathers we knew she would have trouble navigating the skies which would seriously hamper her progress in learning to fly, maneauver and catch prey. Other than missing feathers everything else seemed in order so it was decided she spend some time with an experienced falconer who would be able to teach her to hunt. This was a long process that started first with letting her sit tight until the feathers grew back in.

Fast forward to the fall of 2007 after her feathers were replaced by molt. The method of training the falconer used involves sending bait up in the air on a kite and releasing the bird to fly to the bait. Eventually, Velocity was able to gain altitude to about 75 feet with no problem. However, when the bait was raised higher she seemed reluctant to fly the distance to the bait, simply giving up and coming back down to perch on the ground. Several different approaches were attempted over many weeks of training but she simply lacked stamina. Finally, it was deemed that this bird just did not have what it would take to survive in the wild. This wasn't the outcome we had hoped for but the next best thing is that Velocity will stay in Ohio in captivity: she will be an ambassador and represent her species in the world of wildlife education. Velocity is the newest member of the Glen Helen Raptor Center Education team to be used in public programing teaching wondering minds about peregrine falcons and conservation of wildlife. As soon as I get a current photo of her I will post it here. Thanks to Glen Helen Raptor Center and the falconer for their efforts!

Blog entry...and a couple of pics of her...

and/or

I think Orville was her dad...and I'm still trying to figure out who mom was...it wasn't Scout..

edit to add: I just checked the Midwest data base. Ohio reported in 2006 but parents were listed as unbanded. :girlcrazy: hmmmmmmmmmmmm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:44 pm 

:dancegirl: Thanks skygirlblue! And reading further down, I did not realize that the falcon that reared Scout was "Alpha", the offspring from the 2001 Columbus nest! Curious choice of words, was Donna saying Alpha was Scout's mother or was she a new falcon that stepped up to the plate to rear her? I know males will do this, but do females? :crazygirl:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:24 pm 
Global Moderator

:crazygirl:
Very interesting gals! Many thanks for the pic
Anowlwithknees !! Yellow Springs is a nice area :)

MA-thanks so much for the info from Donna!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:45 am 
2006 Adults were Orrville and Victory. Their daughter "Thunderbolt" was nesting at U.M. in Michigan.

:leafwirl:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:29 am 
More info on Victory:

September 1, 2008

Peregrine falcon takes flight again

by Meredith Southard

A peregrine falcon that the Ohio Wildlife Center treated for a fractured wing was released back into the wild on August 22.

“She walked out of the crate, looked around, and took off like a rocket, flying very strong and happy to be away from humans,” explained Barbara Ray, Director of Education at the OWC.

The falcon, named Victory, was found on the ground in Columbus with an injured wing. Following the surgery to correct her fracture, Victory recuperated at the OWC’s hospital. To ensure that she would be strong enough to fly and survive in the wild following her release, she then received flight conditioning with a falconer and at the OWC’s pre-release aviary.

Victory’s release by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Wildlife was in southern Ohio, some distance from her former nest at the Rhodes State Office Tower in Columbus. An active nest tended by a different female falcon is currently at the site in Columbus, and the hope is that Victory will be in wild flight condition and prepared for a possible territorial struggle should she return to her former nesting site.

OWC typically treats one to two peregrine falcons a year. These birds do not historically nest in Ohio but were introduced in 1988, when Ohio joined the Midwest Peregrine Falcon Restoration Project. Falcons were released in major urban areas of Ohio to encourage them to imprint on this alternative habitat and to nest on the ledges of skyscrapers. An estimated 110 to 130 peregrines now reside in Ohio after the nesting season and prior to migration.

Victory was hatched in Toledo in 2002. She showed up in Columbus in 2003 and mated with a male falcon, Orville, producing a nest of two young in 2005 and successfully raising four young in 2006.

Her troubles were not limited to a fractured wing. While at OWC, Victory exhibited a condition called “permamolt,” which can be caused by a disease usually found in falcons and parrots. These birds have a continuous molt, meaning that as soon as their new feathers grow in for the year they molt some of them. New feathers growing in this way are weaker and thinner than the first molt feathers.

“It was evident that Victory had never molted some of her original juvenile feathers at all, and had re-molted two and three times some of her important flight feathers,” explained Ray.

Although these re-molted feathers could hinder flight accuracy and speed, OWC and the Division of Wildlife determined that Victory’s best chance for survival was to be released into the wild, to depend on the good feathers that she still had.

About the size and weight of a crow, the peregrine falcon is found on every continent except for Antarctica. It is physiologically unique in that it has a thick, large “keel,” or breastbone. When the peregrine “stoops,” or dives for prey, often at speeds in excess of 100 mph, it hits the prey in midair with both its chest and its feet, rendering it unconscious or killing it on impact.

The peregrine is often referred to as the duck hawk because it likes to prey on ducks; it will stoop from several thousand feet above land and strike as the duck is taking off or landing.

During her stay at OWC, Victory ate chicks, quail and mice, and while flying with the falconer caught and ate pigeons and starlings.

Prior to receiving its permit to treat endangered species, OWC transferred injured falcons to the University of Minnesota Raptor Center, where they were treated by Dr. Pat Redig, a renowned avian veterinarian. OWC worked with a major airline to ensure safe, quiet flights for the birds, who rode in small, dark crates that were stowed in the cockpit with the pilots.

Though there have been no confirmed sightings of Victory since her release, the migratory nature of falcons may cause her to settle elsewhere. Ohio-hatched peregrines have been spotted as far away as South Texas.

Wherever she goes, Victory flies again thanks to countless volunteers and OWC staff, whose time and effort gave her a second chance at survival in the wild

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:43 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Matrix...

I did some more reading in Donna's archives (victory/velocity). They didn't go as far back as the actual 2006 hatch. Now fast forward to 2014 and 2015. (I didn't review the in between dates) Coincidence with the feather issues? (probably, but....)
:think

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:05 am 
Feather issues in my birds are typically genetic.
My Opinion:
Orville, Victory and Scout were closely related.
Boomer came from that genetic line, therefore Spark did too.
Seeing how there has been two seasons of similar feather issues in this (Spark and Durand) pair's offspring, it is likley to happen again.
But... the outcrossing genetics of Durand, limits the genetic potential for a full clutch of thin feathers, due to the mutation of "thin feathers" hopefully being a recessive gene.
Time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:23 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=59

I always felt sorry for Victory, but not enough to want her to take her nest back from Scout. After they released her that year, I am certain that it was her that caused such a stir at the nest a few days after she was released. I had been watching the nest nonstop dreading her return, because where else would she go, this had been her nest and home. At any rate, Scout must have won the battle and I never heard of Victory's whereabouts again. I always hoped that she survived and found another mate and nest.

Anyway, the link above, is some entries made in July 2009 reposting information posted in 2008 talking about events prior to that. Somebody asked if Alpha was Scout's mother, yes, according to the information, but Alpha did raise 3 motherless chicks, in 2004 looks like, the year before Scout in 2005. It's a hodgepodge of valuable information, much provided by Juanita, a long time champion of falcons.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

ljames wrote:
http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=59

I always felt sorry for Victory, but not enough to want her to take her nest back from Scout. After they released her that year, I am certain that it was her that caused such a stir at the nest a few days after she was released. I had been watching the nest nonstop dreading her return, because where else would she go, this had been her nest and home. At any rate, Scout must have won the battle and I never heard of Victory's whereabouts again. I always hoped that she survived and found another mate and nest.

Anyway, the link above, is some entries made in July 2009 reposting information posted in 2008 talking about events prior to that. Somebody asked if Alpha was Scout's mother, yes, according to the information, but Alpha did raise 3 motherless chicks, in 2004 looks like, the year before Scout in 2005. It's a hodgepodge of valuable information, much provided by Juanita, a long time champion of falcons.

Thanks for jogging my memory!! I had totally forgotten about Victory's release and how worried we were about her returning to the Rhodes Tower to challenge Scout!!

....and Juanita definitely was/is a genius with Falcon geneology. So interesting to see all the connections...and kudos to us for making sure we had some of that history documented on BCAW..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

Just bumping up terka's pics. Donna's computer was having difficulty viewing them...so, this is a test post..

Terka wrote:
Durand. :leafwave:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:39 pm 
Global Moderator

:pumpkincat: :pumpwave: :leafthumbsup: :pumpbounce:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:31 pm 

:leafwirl: :leafdown: :leafwave: :leafok:
:leaves: :leaves: :leaves: :leaves: :leaves:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next