Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: EDMONTON, ALBERTA (U OF A & BELL)~2015
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:33 pm 

I stopped by the U of A tonight about 7 p.m. hoping to catch some of the flying action everyone is reporting. But, after about half an hour without a peregrine in sight, I went to TH for a coffee. After half an hour there, I headed back outside, checking CS and CP, etc. from the ground. Nothing.

I decided to walk down to the turn-in spot and, just as it was coming into view, 4 peregrines came flying from the west. One landed a couple of windows down on the turn-in, one on the roof above the turn-in and the other two circled. One of the circling pair bumped the one on the turn-in spot. The bumped one took off to the north with the other three in hot pursuit. I'm guessing the three kids were giving Chase a hard time, again.

I left shortly after that without seeing them turn in for the night.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:24 am 

I am so glad you got to see them Debbie. :sum9: :sum9:

I did not hear them on cam like I did last night. WE could not go tonihgt and have fundraiser tomorrow but will be there on Thursday. I want to get down as much as I can.

Poor Chase. Well we have to assume that it was chase being chased. They seem to be staying out longer these days, so it will not be long before they leave. I am hoping we have a few more weeks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:22 am 
Site Admin

WOW..I bet that was really fun to watch!! Thanks for sharing, Debbie!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:00 am 

U of A

Yellow was in the box after 5pm tonihgt so we hopped in car , before fund raiser, and headed down to university. When we got there we had one in view just below nest box.l Peter ID as green huge crop. And then I saw another one adjacent to nestbox on edge of roof to left of box( had to be yellow) .

We also saw Radisson, and i was relieved as I had nto seen her at box in a few days. I think the kids are keeping them busy.
We could not stay as we had the peregrine fundraiser at Bin !04.
but we had 2 kids in view and white was probably with Chase.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:38 pm 

can hear a kid right now
will be going down later

here is Chase form earlier today.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:37 am 

U of a

cam pciutre has been frozen since about 5Pm yesterday. Noticed when I came form site last night.

would be nice to see.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:31 am 

cam back up and RAdisson is looking beautiful there it has been busy fo r her and chase

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:27 am 

Sept 1 U of a

where has the time gone. We had a most wonderful evening on Sunday. Sept 30. We were at the site and all 3 juveniles were there. They are still being fed but I hope they are hunting for themselves also. When we first got there ,there was no one around and then as I went to go looking for them, in came 2 and and an adult. It was so quick that Peter did not see who got what . But from what we can figure,chase had food and Yellow was the winner. Yellow band , our young lad from WEber, took his prize and was eating below the nest box on a pillar. White chased after Chase and then stayed on College plaza for a bit and then flew over to CS also, on the jut. We had Chase in view on the Suite hotel.

A bit later Green came in and flew onto pillar above nest box. We have our ever present big bird there also STars helicopter. White flew off behind the maz and CS and so did green. Yellow was still eating. For awhile we had all 3 juveniles on CS. :sum9:

Eventually Green came back and flew over to pillar beside Yellow but he was not sharing. Green found his own bit back on CP and ate. And then he flew over to CS

After yellow finished gorging, he flew over to CP. He had a huge crop. but the little monkey found more on top of CP and carried it over to helicopter pad. ( yes, helicopter was gone) .

But , we then noticed a falcon carrying a huge prey from between Newton place and suite hotel and flew with it ,behind K-ching building.
I went to see where. I had not walked campus in a bit. When I made it down there, I saw one on southwest corner of Ed building eating, and then one flew over from south. I kept walking and then had Radisson on southeast corner of ed building. I went up onto another parkade and had one on aerial on Ed building and then it flew over to where R was. I cannot see that part of building. As I walked back I had 2 kids in view on Ed building. So I think it was yellow and white down there.

I left camera with Peter and Jean. Why did I walk that far, Peter saw it all from his area, when they came around southeast side of Ed building.:teehee: I needed the walk , I guess. :girlyes:
while I was up on ed parkade, Radisson had flown from Ed building to CP, so we had seen all 5 falcons . We just count yellow in at U of a as he is there all the time and this is home now.( and that will always be a mystery)
By the way Jean saw Radisson catch the prey, but we did nto know it was her at the time. We were hoping git was A kid that caught it.

So we are pretty happy to have seen all 5. before we left we had white eating up on College plaza, the only one we did not see eat, but we figure he was eating on Ed building. Green was on CS , and Radisson was on her aerial on Cp. Green flew off CS and knocked Radisson off her aerial. Another youngster( yellow) flew in from Ed area, and we were not sure who went where. But we saw Green tuck in , where adults tuck in. We saw the rest go to south side of building, one came back behind south CP

So Peter and I did our usual night time , drive around to count. We had one on north tuck in on Windsor park, 3 on south tuck in on Windsor park and one on south east aerial on CP ( we think that was Radisson) So we have 5 in view. A good night :5val:

WE know that soon they will leave, but what a different year ;

another different thing this year is where the kids are tucking in. They usually tuck in on CP but now they are tucking in with adults :girlcrazy:

peter has downloaded camera and I am working on photos
NOte :
We had talked to DR. Court on Saturday. He is just as amazed as us , at yellow staying at U of a. Coming to visit is one thing, but staying is another. WE had met Gord on August 29. Saturday, as we had gotten a call on the Friday, telling us a DR. found a deceased juvenile at hospital on his way to work. When Peter and I went down, I was a wreck. WE had to go to Morgue, ironically enough, to ID and pick up; It was not a falcon but it was a juvenile sharp shinned hawk, It was so beautiful. I was relieved but sad. We took it home and put it in freezer and Gord picked it up from us at U of a . It is gong in a museum.
WE always learn so much when we talk to Gord, but yellow staying at U of a is and will always be a mystery.

The juveniles were still there yesterday. Jean texted us. We hope to go down again tonight. WE know we may not see all 3 but that they were there yesterday, great.

RAdisson and Chase are back to bonding in box. After yellow came they did not hang around box much. They were too busy and yellow liked the box

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:51 pm 

:girlyes: It was so much fun reading your report, Bev! Radisson and Chase are such great parents! Thanks for sharing!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:51 pm 

this has me stumped. not sure what happened. maybe a young one went up top, but there is usually not a problem. R came back after a bit and chupped for a a bit and then Chase came in. R was not happy about something.
not sure who was at front to begin with

when I look again it looked like it flew to left. ???? maybe just a kid

do not need any problems , this late in season

video coming

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:47 am 

U of A

Sept 2

we had another nice night last night. one juvneille came in to aerial on top of CP . We could not ID him as he would not cooperate but he had a huge crop. A bit later a falcon flew by him and gently nudged him. But he did not leave. Then in came Green band and landed on his favorite pillar on south CS . they both had nice crops and just stood there and enjoyed.

At some point we saw 2 falcons come in from east but hey were further north. one chasing the other. ( so a kid and an adult) . Green took off in a dash to join them. the other one on CP took off. WE had 4 flying out north of Suite hotel, . They flew back and forth and then low down by a brown brick building. Then we had 3 . They are so quick and hard to keep track of . but we had 3 kids. and one had food.

Then they came our way. one on a red roof just east of Newton place , one on CP and the one with food flew around south of CP at back. WE think the adult had been R by size.

Jean and I went to check our night spots. We had 4 for sure on south turn in. Three kids were all on one ledge. at first they were in one corner together but we think one moved to the left. and we had one tucked in on ledge below, I believe an adult. Jean stood in one spot and I stood in another but it was hard to tell if there were just 2 in right corner or not( as there had been 3). Bu t we know we had 4 falcons for sure.
It was a good night

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:49 am 

chase had been a bit this morning and then he made mistake to come back with kid on outside LOl
it is green . he looks great
they are all so much alike

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

So glad you caught that, Bev....I have had NO viewing time...and probably won't have much time on Thursday either..

really great to see Green!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:12 am 

here are some pictures Jean took from her window on August 31 of Green , chase was in one

Jean saw all 3 juveniles on Clinical science last night. They are so grown up but yet kids. Hoping got go down again this evening.
Jean said when she got home early evening, 2 juveniles were playing on the wind.

It is getting colder days and evening , so I know the south will be calling them . I am still working on my pciutres. they will not be Jean quality but they are from the ground

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing Jean's pics, Bev!! I hope they will migrate together!!!

..anyway, chase...and don't blink..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:47 pm 
Global Moderator

:5val: :loveheart2: :5val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:26 pm 

LOl SGB That chase where are his manners

Barb saw all 3 kids chasing after nad for food last night. this crew are always hungry, whether they need it or not :girlyes:

I saw a juvenile jump onto roof of box after 8Am but could not tell who.

Radisson has been at box since noon. Kids must be giving her a break. It is cold today and rainy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:40 pm 

chase was just in fo r a quick bond. yesterday they took forever. It seemed as if they were day dreaming

i never noticed till this year, how they look as if they are going to lay eggs.

here was them bonding yesterday. I did not put all in but you can get the idea. they seemed to be watching outside you can look at real times to see it was over 4 minutes of bonding. She even touched beaks. I have not seen her do that before, others do but have not seen it from R

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:32 pm 

:thumbup :5val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:26 pm 

Here is a video from Aug 30 of the 3 juveniles, first few pictures were of white , then yellow on pillar below box with prey, then green on pillar above box, then green flying, green on pillar with yellow but yellow not sharing, then flying of white and green, yellow flying with prey( he lands on helicopter pad) , 2 juveniles on ed building, after Radisson had prey drop, I think there were 3 juveniles there at one time, and then one flying in, I think white, but not sure and one eating on top of CP at end( that is white). At nights end we saw all 3 kids tucked in and one adult on an aerial on south CP . chase was in 3rd fromend photo

Last night we only saw green and white. Photos not uploaded yet, but we thought we heard a juvenile over east . We could not tell for sure how many we had tucked in. A light was shining n a window on south side so it blinded us. We know one for sure one south side and 2 on north side.
Barb saw all 3 on Thursday night. We will go again on Sunday. Jean saw all 3 on Wed and we saw all 3 on Tues.

I guess for me, I am just thrilled that green and white are still so close. Last night they were perched by each other and did some playing in the air. But I am just as thrilled that yellow was accepted and although it seems for the most part , he is still a bit of a loner,( comes from being by himself for over 3 weeks) he still flies with the other 2 and all 3 still give chase after the adults. Radisson accepted him fully and he flew with Chase also. He has shown what a skilled flier he is and that he can hold his won as far as retrieving prey from adults.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next