Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: EDMONTON, ALBERTA (U OF A & BELL)~2015
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:31 pm 

I am working on a year video of U of a . stay tuned . Hopefully finished by end of long weekend.

Season not over yet but we will be going gawky for a few weeks after juveniles leave so I want to get it finished .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:07 pm 

I will try not to bore you, but I feel like I have finish what I started. :girlyes:

here are some photosfrom days back that I had not posted. I had explained this way back but had no time to post photos this was on August 23 when I was still not sure how much Yellow was getting fed. This was the day that turned the corner for me . It is hard to explain my feelings sometimes. I love how close green and white are but I feel as if yellow was the underdog and so I have a special place fo r him. He has proved what a great flier he is and that he can hold his won. And although he is somewhat still a loner , he does fit in. We have seen at many sites how 2 seem to be close and one seems to be more independent. He is accepted and that is what counts. And I feel Radisson has taken him under her wing. Just my gut feeling.
so here are pictures

Yellow was eating on Suite hotel and then flew over to CS. he likes to sit on netting and then ends up top right of CS. then white flew in and he likes the jut of CS adn usually ends up by the wire or on it. someitmes the screen .then Green flew in and he likes the pillar on south side of CS. I find it amazing at their preferences. A lot of times we know who it is without scoping but just in case they change places :girlcrazy: we scope them. When they start flying around we loose track and have to start all over again but if we have 3 we do not worry. As of a few days ago they have had full crops.

Yellow on Suite hotel eating like no tomorrow

yellow on netting

white on jut of CS

still white

white flies to MAz

yellow flies to maz and bumps white off

white flies out of site

yellow on maz

yellow flies to right top of CS ( he owns it LOl)

Green flies in to pillar on south side of CS and eats

white flies back and is on aerial on jut

AT this point , white is by aerial and green way down on pillar adn yellow is still on right top of CS

this day chase came in and all 3e chased him and we could not take pictures fast enough but yellow was right on chases' tail over by Maz. when we got home and blew up photos we saw band

Yellow in flight

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:25 pm 

these are just some shots from days after august 23 till now
august26
Green boy, yellow was adjacent to him but I could not get a good shot ( below box)

august29
radisson on turn in spot

white eating like no tomorrow

radisson hides out on a ledge at newton place

sharp shinned hawk taking a chance above turn in spots :nervous:

the lighting is bad out now when we see them so we do not always take pciutres ( well we forget while watching :teehee: )

these are white and green from august4 jean is sure she saw yellow on h8is spot on top right CS yesterday august5

white on screen , green eating on pillar

white
white
white

white to left and green eating

green

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:02 am 

even though it was raining, after a call from Jean, we went down to U of A. I had seen radisson at box and one kid really screaming close by. no one had been around all day. But Jean had 3 kids and radissson flying'..So off we went. WE only saw white on south pillar eating and hen Green flew in and onto pillar looking for scraps.
It was late and dreary and when Green flew off and then White we went ot check turn in spots.

Voila!!, 5 tucked in . 2 on right side of ledge on south turn in of Windsor park, 2 on left side of ledges on south turn in of Windsor park, . I believe they were all on different ledges, as we have to go to different spots to see left and right side of ledges. ( someone dared to build an apartment in our way :teehee: ) and then we checked ledges of south CP and sure enough one was tucked in there. It was not conducive for us to see who was who , but we had 5 and that was all I needed to make my night complete. :5val: :5val: :5val: Peter is a good sport.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:22 pm 

:flirty: Thank YOU, bev!
Your pictures are terrific! Can't wait to see the video!
ThankYouThankYouThankYOU!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:13 am 

Pembina

I had this all written up and it vanished. I will try again later but by days end you will see and fall in love with our site.hopefully I can remember all I wrote. my message is important also

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:57 pm 

Pembina

here goes again. Please read before watching video.

I wanted to share with you, my video of our trip to Pembina hack site. I know there a lot who do not believe in hacking falcons but once you take this trip, and witness these young juveniles , flying with such ease ,and see their majestic surroundings, there is no doubt in our minds , that this is true Paradise for falcons.

Would I not love to have seen black band female and blue banded male stay at WEber after their rescues , flying with yellow band male. Of course. It was tough, but that is just selfishness on my part. Did I not feel for the adults at Weber, DO1 and Green girl, of course. But when Gord told me how well blue band male was flying up a storm and we saw for ourselves, these falcons landing in trees, on tree tops, on the cliffs and sleeping by the hack site, we knew this was right. When we saw them flying and soaring and gliding, and chasing each other, among the cliffs and wide open sky, it was magical.

It was so hard , when Blue band female ,at U of A, came to ground second time. WE knew she could fly but she had lost her confidence, you could tell. She kept slipping off metal ledges. Coming to the ground if we were not around, meant possible death by car. Trying to get higher could mean , collision with a building.

But while we were at Pembina , a young juvenile crash landed in tree and shook it self off and away it went. Landing on the ground , just meant , getting its bearings and flapping and getting to a higher position , with no buildings in the way. Wide open spaces and trees, and rocks etc. This is what Blue banded femlae needed. She was given all the time she needed to take flight.

Are there risks at hack sites , Yes. But 99.9 percent, are ones of nature. And I can deal with that. WE will not always have this option. It costs money, as our hack sites are monitored around the clock, the young are fed quail twice a day till no one comes back for any( usually this time of year.) We have one , maybe two years left to do this.

As Gord has put it, our cities have become urban traps for falcons. The adults choose them because of tall buildings, but our young do not do well, typically. anyone living in cities, just have to look at all the glass and skyscrapers that continually go up. Our downtown area in Edmonton , will be brutal in the future. Not a place for young at all.

If just one or two falcon pair a year, go back to the cliffs, that is one more set of young , that will have a better chance.There are perils , from flash rainstorms, owls , fox, etc. But these are all of nature. The juveniles that are put in the hack boxes, get to imprint on the site, and surroundings. Even if they are rescues , they are not just let go. They are held in the box to get used to site.
Steve is going to be working on a newer , bigger hack box for next year, with many good improvements

So , our pictures are not great , no super camera LOl, but you can see how well the juveniles are camouflaged against the trees and cliffs. One cliff ,I circled , as it is man made, to give them more protection. There are a few of those around there. Steves' dog is great He was a lot of fun. He loves the falcons.

The video starts at the top of cliff , where the hack boxes are, and then we go below along the river, . Great views . We did not get as many shots as we would have liked , as we were just so mesmerized by the spectacles we were seeing. Look carefully at pictures. Where else would you see at least 6 falcons in a tree. They kept coming and going. In one cliff shot, there are 2 falcons and one flying in, but you have to really look. we even aw a sharp shinned hawk in tree( it is in one of pictures)

On our way home we stopped to take pictures of an Osprey nest. Jean cleverly superimposed Peter in the nest. That is what he gets for being such a ham LOL
now I will let you enjoy part of what we saw.

Put sound on and watch full screen

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:35 pm 

Lovely. Thanks so much Bev. Truly a wonderful place for falcons to inhabit. I have always been in favor of hacking. Hacking is one of the reasons the peregrine reintroduction has been so successful. In a perfect world, every falcon would live in this environment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:59 pm 

Wonderful, Bev! Thank YOU :1val:
(WATCH in FULL SCREEN!)
If it weren't for hacking, there wouldn't be any Osprey in the UK and other sites in Europe (can't remember right now - but I'll look for some beautiful stories and post them on BCAW. Ferenz knows!)
Thanks again!
(What a wonderful place to visit!)
:loveheart2:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:35 pm 

SEPT 8,

Yellow band was in nest box

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:43 pm 

jean saw all 3 young again last night and both adults have been at box

I have sized picture but it says it cannot determine size so I cannot post . sorry

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:34 pm 

Bev. did you see Blue Girl at Penbina?? I can't tell from the pictures who is who.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:38 pm 

We were not in a position to ID all we saw. The falconer did see her and he recorded them every time they came in to feed. As far as they know they only had one fatality there this year. We were able to Id one from Red Deer and one from another site in Edmonton . Steve did have a photos of black band female from WEber, but I forgot to get it from him.

But ljames, there is no doubt in mind that she did well here and would make the flight to migration. she needed this kind of space to get her bearings. When we rescue and I take these birds home, till Gord can pick them up, I form an attachment. Because they wanted to release her slowly ,so could have success, they did not take pciutres at her release from box, so as not to spook her.

WE know with 99 percent certainty that we spotted our white band female , from U of a, that went out to Pembina last year, at Weber this year. So I know , she will have a great chance .
thankyou so much for your interest.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

Finally playing catch up here!! Bev, thanks so much for your well thought out words of wisdom about Pembina!! Such a gorgeous area...I loved all the pics, especially the ones of the "falcon tree"!!! Loved the Osprey.. :teehee: too...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:09 pm 

yellow was her last night and again this morning. Jean saw 4 falcons last night but not sure how many were juveniles. Peter and I will be going down later today. ( been babysitting
sept 10

this morning

chase and radisson were also at box this morning

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:07 pm 

U of A

white band was on roof around 4 pm today . Radisson was in box

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:18 pm 

:flirty: :thumbup

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:10 am 

U of A

sept12

WE went down last night. forgot camera. too bad as would have had some nice shots. We had at least 2 kids and maybe 3 . they move so fast it was hard to tell. Did not get to turn in in time to see who was all there.

But we saw white for sure. one falcon was on aerial on CP and there was another falcon on roof beside him, when we got there, but they both flew before we could get bands.

one flew onto maz and one flew toward turn in. Radisson was in box most of time we were there, Then I heard a kid and looked toward turn in, and now there was one flying out, now 2 and now we have 3 flying west. I do believe one was Chase but could be wrong. Did not see if one of kids in that bunch came from Maz. Next thing I knew we had white on cam. Radisson was not bothered by him. He looked so handsome and grown up. After a bit White flew over to aerial again . He put his wings out flat and down and then gracefully flew off north east. They are so adult like now.

Jean and I checked turn in spots ,even though it was early. WE only saw one on north turn in . I was assuming Chase.

AS I was coming back up , I saw one on med science building. When I got back to parkade roof, I saw one on southwest pillar of CS(thought it to be green , as that is where he likes to go.) light was not good so I could not see if he was eating. Peter said one flew into 2nd ledge turn in. so I know we have at least 4. When I went down to have coffee, no one was on MEd scinece. should have checked turn in again as RAd was on her aerial now, and when coffee was over it was too dark to see south turn in. We did have 2 on north turn in.

So I think no more coffee till i check spots :girlcrazy:

But I do believe all juveniles still here. We had yellow on cam in morning, we had white in evening, and I just saw green on cam this morning .Will post tape

this morning
Chase went in box, followed by RAdisson and then in crashed Green LOl

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:23 pm 

U of A SEpt 13

The cam has been down all day, which is a shame as I would have liked to see who came to box today. But we will go down in the cold and see who is there. Unfortunately , they are not interested at the cam end,

We went down last night. It was windy , cold and then rain, but it was worth it.

When we saw falcons they were soaring and diving and riding on the wind. :flirty: They were amazing. How powerful our boys have become.

And Chase, I do not ever think we will see another male as talented as him. It is pure bliss to watch him. The lighting was not conducive to pictures, but trust me when I say , it was better than any air show.

WE are 99.9 % sure we had all 5 at turn in last night. it was really hard as when Peter and I went to check, we had 2 on south turn in , and then in came 2 more and landed on same ledge as one of them and all but one( I think Radisson) was off and flying again and soaring and then back in. they did this a few times and I had 4 in sight . One on top ledge and 2 on same ledge different corners and then one a few below. I thought we may have had 5 but thought better of it. WE went and checked north side and had one in sight.

When we went back to check others again I only had 3 sight but was sure one was tucked way in corner on top. I just cannot see one flying off in the rain and wind, when they were settled . IT got dark so quick and it was really hard to see top ledge.

That is why we are only 99.9% sure. LOL

It was a good nihgt. :5val:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:01 pm 

Finally getting caught up bev and there are so many great things to read and see. I had to go to youttube to watch your video so I could full screen it. Left a message there. Thank you for the great coverage of your nests. :5val:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next