Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: SOUTH BEND INDIANA 2018-2019
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:13 am 

Yes, I hope they haven’t turned the cam off already, either. And I too hope South Bend’s falcon family is safe. We used to have someone named sbwatcher who would give a report to us now and then...we will have to keep checking...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:56 pm 

sbwatcher reporting in after a LONG time off the forum:

A confirmed EF-2 tornado hit around 8:40 p.m., destroying half of a day care center, which was fortunately empty at the time. No deaths or injuries have been reported from the tornado.

The tornado was 2-3 mile south-south east of the nest box. At that time of day, the falcons would most likely be well-fed and I surmise that they would have been downtown at the time. If so, they would have experienced a heavy rain and possibly a bit of wind, both of which they are well-equipped to deal with. I was well aware of outdoor conditions at the time of the tornado, and to my knowledge, there was not much wind where we were or anywhere near the nest box area.

I will keep an eye out for the falcons, and maybe I will also be able to post links to tornado video.

sbwatcher

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:24 pm 

Thank you, sbwatcher! Appreciate your report, we have been concerned about the falcons here. Hopefully, they were not affected. Glad you all came through safely!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:05 pm 

Gosh! Good that no one injured. Appreciate the update sbwatcher.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:21 am 

I've been checking the cam several times daily here and it never returned since the tornado. Now they have put up a message on the cam that the falcons will return next nesting season. Hope they all made it through the storm and are doing well. :15heartbeat:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:12 pm 

:hithere: Hi there, sbwatcher- so good to hear from you again!!! I hope you are doing well! We nervous Nellies would really appreciate any updates you could provide. Maltese and Peace had four very active young ‘uns this year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:12 pm 

:buzzybee: In searching for any info on this family, I came across this years banding video, although short:

:5val: South Bend Tribune 2019 banding video.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:13 pm 

One of South Bend’s young adult peregrine falcons injured, now at rehab facility
SOUTH BEND — One of the four peregrine falcon chicks that hatched in South Bend this past spring recently was injured.

The young female bird was found about two weeks ago injured atop a lower roof of the County-City Building in downtown South Bend, Carole Riewe, a local raptor volunteer said Monday by telephone.
The young bird was taken to Humane Indiana Wildlife, a refuge near Valparaiso, Ind., for rehabilitation and to be examined, Riewe said.

It’s been determined that the bird’s injuries likely will not allow her to be released into the wild. She is likely to become a permanent captive bird for the refuge that will be used for wildlife education programs, Riewe said.

The other three chicks that hatched in the spring reached adulthood and have now left the area. Young adult peregrines typically fly several hundred miles to find mates and new homes.

South Bend’s two adult peregrines — Maltese, the female; and Peace, the male — are still in the area and can be expected to produce a new clutch of chicks next spring, Riewe said.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/l ... d2da6.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:36 pm 

Sorry to hear she was injured, but really great news that she was found and will be helped. Hoping she does well in rehab and can become an education bird. Thanks for bringing this over, kittenface!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:22 pm 

SWINWK wrote:
Sorry to hear she was injured, but really great news that she was found and will be helped. Hoping she does well in rehab and can become an education bird. Thanks for bringing this over, kittenface!

:eggthumb:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21