Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: JERSEY CITY & UNION COUNTY~April-Dec. 2017
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:39 pm 

Sally wrote:
I am so saddened by the events today. Like Bev just said: "Things sometimes are not what they appear to be" this is what I am hoping for.......

:girlsad3:

My heart belongs to mom. :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

:15heartbeat:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:27 pm 

The comments on here against "golden child" Cadence are very hurtful but expected, seeing as Rochester is at the bottom of the list of favorite sites here. You all know that Cadence is doing just what she's hard wired to do and has shown the strength of her grandmother, Dorothy, and her mother Beauty as well as DC and his side of the family. We lost her brother Bronx shortly after fledging and Genesee was lost this past January so to see she has survived is wonderful news to us that do care about her. I feel sorry for the mom, if indeed she is gone, but I love Cadence and nothing will change that for me...and she's beautiful!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

Kris G. wrote:
The comments on here against "golden child" Cadence are very hurtful but expected, seeing as Rochester is at the bottom of the list of favorite sites here. You all know that Cadence is doing just what she's hard wired to do and has shown the strength of her grandmother, Dorothy, and her mother Beauty as well as DC and his side of the family. We lost her brother Bronx shortly after fledging and Genesee was lost this past January so to see she has survived is wonderful news to us that do care about her. I feel sorry for the mom, if indeed she is gone, but I love Cadence and nothing will change that for me...and she's beautiful!

Kris, I can see where my comments could have been hurtful to some, and expected? (I don't get that part) They weren't meant to hurt. I am thrilled that Cadence is still out there. I am just not thrilled that she has chosen this site. (am I allowed to say that?) It is very sad that Bronx and Genesee have been lost. I think you named Genesee, didn't you? So sad. Can you see how there are some of us that are pulling for the resident female? It is hurtful to us!! Nobody is asking anybody not to love Cadence OR the resident female. This is a very tough situation here.

I'm sorry you feel that Rochester is at the bottom of favorite sites. Why do you think its on the Main Index page? It doesn't have to be but we chose to keep it there. Its there because of its importance and its loyal followers. The majority of the other nests we cover are grouped together in various locations and while they are all important, there just wasn't room for them on the Main Index page.

I don't know what else to say other than this is such a stressful situation right now. Emotions are gonna be high.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:38 pm 

I am going to bring part of my post over here after last weeks happenings( remember this is after last week)

Please know that no one here is hoping that Cadence was hurt . It was never about that. It was about a falcon defending her site and eggs. if Cadence did not have bands, no one would have known from where she h ailed. We may have all watched mom at some site from an egg also . We watch many sites where they do not band.
cadence flew off and i am sure is fine. It was nice for all of you who knew her to see she had made it this far. I know how that feels.

now we can hope that mom flew off and is O.K. :15heartbeat:

dad keeps looking up.11;38PM THE KEEPER OF THE EGS

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:01 am 

1:55am - Dad is still on eggs and wide awake. I know he's waiting for Mom to return. I feel so sorry for him.

I'm truly sorry for how everyone feels about this situation. I'm heartbroken over Mom. I really wanted her to keep her site. She fought so hard for it. Such dedication to her mate and her eggs.

Hugs to all of us falcon watchers. Wish our hearts could stay intact from one season to the next.

:loveheart: :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:24 am 

These 2 special ladies/girls are loved by so many. Hope and so so many prayers things go right. No matter who ends up at this nest lets all hope & pray the other is found safe & sound. If it means being taken care of or just taking off.
Hopefully this makes sense in print as it does in my head & heart.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:21 am 

I have no malice towards Cadence because nature is nature, it has to run it's course. But I was also rooting for the resident female. :15heartbeat:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:22 am 

8:10am Dad left the igloo and few minutes later Cadence was perched on the far rail on third cam.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:39 am 

carly wrote:
Updates from site:

Conserve Wildlife Foundation of NJ
Female (and male) has been off eggs for at least the past 45 minutes with ongoing interactions with female intruder. Not likely to have an effect on the outcome of their nest attempt at this point, but anything is possible if this keeps up!

Conserve Wildlife Foundation of NJ
Resident female tangles with another above nestbox and lands akwardly on upper ledge. Her injured (left) wing will not help in the aerial battles...

Carly, Do you have a link to this site please.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:44 am 
Global Moderator

Carolyn-On the cam site look for the ask questions and comments/posts right under the 3 cams...
Click newest posts to have the current comments.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:46 am 

Beth wrote:
Carolyn-On the cam site look for the ask questions and comments/posts right under the 3 cams...
Click newest posts to have the current comments.

Thank you Beth :buzzybee:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:33 am 

9:32am - Dad back to eggs. I see one flying below igloo ledge in distance, then up to roof on cam 3.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:34 am 

I asked in the comments on Cam page if they were going to look for Mom. This is the reply.

NJ Pefa
The great folks at Union County (at the court house and the Sheriff's Dept.) ran a search for the "resident mom" last night, and went out again this morning to search the local grounds. They also checked all the lower roofs of the court house building. No sign of her yet.
The fight between the two females started Tuesday around 1:00 PM and flyovers and fly-bys continued for about 4.5 hours. One observer reported the intruder (banded as 91/BA) hit the resident female around 5:30 PM, which may have been the most serious blow. She hasn't been seen since then. The tiercel remains committed to "his" eggs, incubating them overnight and this morning. It remains to be seen if the new female has truly won this nest site and if she will join in caring for the eggs of another falcon, or seek to lay her own eggs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:42 am 

1st - Thank goodness for the people of NJ who love peregrines. Really, for the Sheriff's Dept to participate in the search? Fantastic.

9:35ish - interaction between Dad & Cadence. She came into igloo and bowed with Dad. Now she's calling for him. I think he's on the roof.

Also, interesting.. Cadence moving around the building, I think getting comfortable with the site. At one point, I think she landed on top of the cam pointed at the igloo. She would have seen her parents do this at Rochester - they are often cam perchers!

She's currently down in one of the large puddles drinking water or maybe just bathing her face. Hopefully the standing water is okay on that ledge...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:51 am 

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:58 am 

:tissue: Oh my...I just read everything from yesterday. I would never have imagined that Cadence would return after the last battle. It's as if she took a few days to re-strategize a take-over. She is certainly clever and strong. Not a scratch on her. I feel horribly for Mom and everyone here. She put up such a gallant fight. I suspect she was weakened by the long series of battles and her wounds. It is so difficult to watch one struggle so hard for their family. She fought for her eggs. This is the way of peregrines and nature...a matter of the strongest surviving to pass on the best genes to the next generation. As difficult as it is, this is best for the survival of the species. As mentioned by someone earlier, should Cadence remain, it's possible she will lay eggs and Mom's eggs will survive. We'll see. At this point, I am worried about Mom's condition. Her chest wound bothered me from the start and it looks like it re-opened in the latest battle. If she is injured, I pray she is found. Glad to see the dedication of the people at this site. Prayers and thoughts for her and everyone here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:59 pm 

Warning,very graphic:((

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:03 pm 

I've seen Dad on Cam.

Seen Cadence on Cam.

Cadence landed on the rail in front of igloo, calling for Dad. Dad was responding to her. She saw something to the right & went after it. Dad came out of igloo, looked around. I think the cam started to move and scared him & he took off.

Not seeing any other birds flying around.

I do see some new feathers in igloo - not peregrine, so not sure if there was a prey transfer in the igloo or if a feather or 2 blew in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:25 pm 

Approx 3:20pm
Dad was chirping in the igloo, looking up - part of a falcon could be seen on top of the igloo (cam needed adjusting)
3:23pm Missed Dad leaving - but can see that C is in the igloo.
(Cam 2 has been adjusted)

added: 3:25pm No one in sight.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 28  Next