Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: JERSEY CITY & UNION COUNTY~May 2017
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:13 pm 

Thank you from me too! Good to know.......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:21 pm 

Sally wrote:
Thank you from me too! Good to know.......

Wow! Thanks from me too!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

"Bugs"..

Just wanted to share a little more on the dreaded Bug so that you know what it looks like on a cam. Granted, the Union cam is much better. Black Dog and Red Wing (I had said Bay state earlier..that was wrong) are not great cams.

First, the famous "Bugsy" from Black Dog~2013..his two sibs didn't survive..He looked like he was wearing a black vest. His sibs looked worse, but this little dude was a fighter!!

After rescue. Close up of his neck and back

and what Amy, from RRP, had to say:

On May 22, 2013, the falcon eggs at Xcel Energy's Blackdog nest box began hatching. Immature female 16/U laid four eggs and hatched three. Although both parents diligently cared for their young, they never seemed to thrive. On May 27th, a watcher reporter strange black patches on one of the young. By May 31, two of the three young were dead. We don't know how the first one was disposed of, but the parents fed the second young to the third.

In watching the box, we noticed the strange black patches. We also saw that the remaining baby didn't seem to be developing properly. It was quite small for ten days of age, spent more time under its mother than might be expected, and didn't seem to be developing feathers properly. Perhaps the young falcon had Frounce, a yeast infection of the digestive tract that interferes with food intake. We decided to go up the stack and treat it with Spartrix. This has been a very hard year on our falcons and we really didn't want to lose any more.

I called Dan, our contact at the plant, and made the necessary arrangements. The Blackdog nest isn't especially easy to get to, since it is at the 600' level of the plant's smokestack. An elevator takes you to the 300' level and ladders take you the rest of the way. All told, you need to plan on a minimum of 50 minutes to visit the box. A big thanks to Dan for taking the time out of his day!

I was really shocked when we finally got to the nest. The falcon was very small, coated with black gunk, and swarming with parasites. They were on its back, belly, under wings, and neck. We thought the black gunk might be prey remains, but it was actually scabs, dried blood, and damaged feathers. The parasites, probably Amblycera or Hippoboscidae, were feeding by chewing soft areas of skin, causing an area of localized bleeding from which they drank.

I decided to give the young falcon Spartrix just in case (Frounce could easily kill a falcon this stressed), and then Dan held the falcon while I carefully cleaned it off.

This is a closeup of the falcon's back and neck. The parasites caused extensive damage, destroying feathers, interfering with feather growth, and delaying development. I killed and swabbed and crushed and killed and swabbed and crushed again. Once the parasites seemed to be (mostly) dead, I checked the box for anything that might be harboring more, took a few bits out, and returned the baby falcon, along with a dead quail. Mom was back in the box before we were back in the stack, and the quail was gone by the time we reached the bottom. Despite the damage, the young falcon had a good crop and even seemed somewhat feisty, weakly footing with tiny talons. While I don't know that the falcon will survive, we increased its chances of survival.

The parents have been very busy preening the young falcon, sometimes what seemed (to human watchers) rather roughly. We now know that they were trying to remove parasites. But where did the parasites come from? Since lice are transmitted by direct contact, I'm guessing that the lice were brought in on a prey item. According to Science Direct: "With no wings and very small eyes, chewing lice are, by and large, helpless away from their host." However, they were presumably able to hop, skittle, or jump from prey on to the young birds, who lack the armoring feathers of adults and weren't yet preening themselves. We'll be watching this box closely over the next couple of days to see what happens to the young bird.

Ever feel like a tick was crawling on you? Hours later, and I can still feel the lice crawling...

Then in 2014, same thing at Red Wing Grain

This was the sickest chick, who did not survive. Chick is on its tummy.

4 chicks were removed, treated, and returned to the box. They still looked horrible, but 3 rebounded quickly and fledged.

This was the youngest from UMass Amherst, DuBois..it did not survive. Notice the black on the tummy and sides of the chest. All 3 chicks were treated. the remaining 2 thrived and fledged.

Happy Dreams!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:45 am 

Feeling sorry for all of the hurdles these babies must overcome........... :girlsad3:

Thank you for sharing Mary Anne.........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:08 am 
Site Admin

Jersey City

Not going down without a fight. That pointy thing is its beak..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:11 am 
Site Admin

:eggthumb:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:13 am 
Global Moderator

Thanks MA!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:47 am 
Site Admin

I kinda got carried away with the bug thing last night... :sum5:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Union

Periodic checks and this is about all I've seen..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:16 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
carly wrote:
Nadia wrote:
Union County

This chick had a nice feed and full crop, but very black under the wings with parasites.

SGB is the parasite expert, I can never tell unless it's extreme like at Spirit Bluff. I remember at Rochester one year the kids were black under the arms and we worried but they checked out fine at banding.

LOL...not really the expert (others much more qualified than I), but have learned what to look for ON CAM and when to worry...I'm sure most chicks have some parasites, black in the armpit is not necessarily a sign of infestation. I start to worry If: black moves to the neck area (like a collar, particularly noticeable from the back), down the spine, throat, and/or tummy...from any of those spots, black can encircle the shoulder at the top of the wing, then down the wing..in most cases what we see aren't bugs, but either dried blood (from the blood suckers) or skin sloughing off (like black dandruff) combined with feather loss..Other than visual signs, chicks can have problems standing or righting themselves if they flip over (usually because they've become anemic from blood suckers) They will even continue to eat, laying on their backs if they can..The infestation was so bad at the Black Dog nest several years ago, the chicks looked almost black. Only one chick survived and they named him Bugsy. Took us forever to convince them that something was wrong. They had a problem at the DuBois nest several years ago and got there as fast as they could, but still lost one chick..

That's about the extent of my knowledge...

Interestingly, 2015 was the year people were concerned about blackness under the wings of our Rochester eyases, and that included Cadence. Her clutch brothers died in accidents, but Cadence is still with us and, if we can judge by her battle for this nestbox, she is healthy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:23 pm 

Union County:

Looks like the chick's crop is about half full. Seems to be half under Cadence. Let's all keep our fingers crossed and hopes way up. That includes NJFW folks who check this site.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:39 pm 

Union County: Just checking the cam. It really looks like Cadence is picking all the black bugs off the baby. Tried to get a screen capture, but ....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

Union

Well, I opened the cam, thinking I was gonna see a feed...and maybe it was and its at the end, but the baby isn't getting up...and didn't get up...hmmmmmm..well, its over and Cadence is settling back in..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:43 pm 

Oops Cadence. Baby had a half full crop just now. And she seems to be preening the chick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Carly...

It did finally get up...maybe just a food coma...I'll post pics in a few...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

Around 12:45 pm

Approx: 3:45 pm

few minutes ago

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

After the feed. Cadence seems very particular where she wants the baby to be...and its not always the same place the baby wants to be.. :biggrin:

I haven't had the cam open non stop...but, recording Columbus (nightmare trying to keep a head count of those hooligans), but evey time I have opened the cam (maybe once an hour when I reset the Columbus recorder), both mom and baby have been snoozing...Not one time have I found the baby alone.. :egg19: .and not one time have I even seen dad with the baby...Has he been here today?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

carly wrote:
Cadence looks proud of the poop shoot by baby :egg11: Thanks SGB :eggthumb:

I think she was. The first time I caught a poop shot from the baby, and she followed it to the wall, she seemed mesmerized..and she just stared at the wall for a few seconds..I should have posted that pic..LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:20 am 

JERSEY :biggrin:

5:30 am

8:00am

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:41 am 

:girlcrazy: Ewwww- Cadence is finishing up a feed and she ate a whole bird foot!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next