Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: JERSEY CITY & UNION COUNTY~May 2017
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:43 am 
Site Admin

10:43~and he's back..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

12:02~Dad out and Mom in...sure would be nice if somebody brought food...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:25 pm 

Union:

Baby's crop looked half full in the 10:43 am photo. I guess everyone is on pins and needles about this little one. We just have to let the new parents find their way. Strange that if the male is experienced, he hasn't brought food or fed the chick. Or, maybe Cadence doesn't realize that she feeds his food to the chick. I guess some males are just clueless.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Bonnie wrote:
Union:

Baby's crop looked half full in the 10:43 am photo. I guess everyone is on pins and needles about this little one. We just have to let the new parents find their way. Strange that if the male is experienced, he hasn't brought food or fed the chick. Or, maybe Cadence doesn't realize that she feeds his food to the chick. I guess some males are just clueless.

Actually, this male did the early on feeds because Cadence was just learning and was missing bobbing mouths...they definitely seem out of sync.

Baby currently alone...I missed the last feed and haven't seen its crop yet...but, it did have a fairly decent poop a few minutes ago..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Jersey City

These 2 parents definitely have it figured out...

I guess all moms think their babies are advanced. Juliet presented the baby with the entire bird..

She quickly realized that wasn't gonna work..Started the feed with the obligatory mouth full of feathers.

I watched the entire feed and now I know why the baby always looks like it needs a wash cloth..If it refused bites, Juliet kept rubbing the prey all around its beak and face until it opened up..LOL A couple tof times the baby would spit it out, but Juliet would pick the piece back up and cram it in..

With the exception of both legs/feet and a couple other bites, this baby ate the entire thing!!!

Juliet finishing up a leg/foot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Union~

I don't know when this was from as my cam is doing periodic loops...this may have been from the feed that Carly mentioned..or it could have been a snack...

Mom has just left..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:29 pm 

I opened cam and saw Cady on baby. She has pulled him away from the other eggs and started a new little scrape for baby.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:31 pm 

Dad just came in and is looking at eggs. My cam keeps freezing.. Guess he didn't go to the eggs. Baby is sitting up. Don't know when Cady left. I was working on something else on my computer and caught baby alone, but in separate scrape.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:34 pm 

:teehee: :teehee: :teehee:
Thanks for the great pics and commentary, Sky!
(I needed that!)

:eggthumb:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:37 pm 

carly wrote:
mwplay wrote:
Dad just came in and is looking at eggs. My cam keeps freezing.. Guess he didn't go to the eggs. Baby is sitting up. Don't know when Cady left. I was working on something else on my computer and caught baby alone, but in separate scrape.

We had a fire alarm and had to evacuate the office, I was gone almost an hour and she had left before we went down. I think she's gone hunting because she keeps looking for food so it wouldn't surprise me if she did. The few times she stashed food outside next to the igloo, dad would take it then a half hour later she'd come out thinking to feed the baby and find it gone.

And that timeline probably fits with the last time I looked. When I looked, she was over baby, separated from eggs. I was glad that she had moved him away from the eggs. Dad is standing closer to eggs and now baby moved back over to them....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Union

June 5 update

Life as a peregrine falcon is not easy. One of the younng eyas died in the past 24 hours. It was removed by the male this morning. As we've watched this new pair attempt to raise their first brood of eyases, we've seen first hand how fragile life is. Before the young even fledge, they need the perfect recipe to survive and thrive. This cool, wet spring has been tough on many long time successful nests along the coast of New Jersey, who are the backbone for the state population. On top of that, urban falcons have to deal with another threat, a pigeon-borne disease called trichomoniasis, which usually causes small lesions in the mouth and throat and can kill young falcons if not treated for the protozoan. Usually early signs of the disease will show a dirtiness around the bill of young falcons, like the lone eyas at the Jersey City eyrie. The nestling there was given antibiotics on Saturday. The eyases here did not show signs of the disease, so there was no plans to treat them.

I guess I must have missed that they suspected Trich at Jersey City...after watching that feed this morning, I just assumed (wrongly, I guess) that Juliet was an insistent mom and food got everywhere!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:31 pm 

4:29 - Dad just delivered a small scrap - a talonful. Cadence took it and flew off. Dad in now. And she returns with it and is now feeding baby.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Union

Feed in progress...I was typing, so didn't see how food arrived..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

mwplay wrote:
4:29 - Dad just delivered a small scrap - a talonful. Cadence took it and flew off. Dad in now. And she returns with it and is now feeding baby.

Thanks..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

I knew the history at NJ...just wasn't aware they actually suspected it this year...just thought it was precautionary because of past history...either way, they love their PeFa babies!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:41 pm 

Union County

This chick had a nice feed and full crop, but very black under the wings with parasites.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Here was the end of the feed...Either the baby wasn't quite ready for a snuggle or Cadence wasn't sure what she wanted to do...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

carly wrote:
Nadia wrote:
Union County

This chick had a nice feed and full crop, but very black under the wings with parasites.

SGB is the parasite expert, I can never tell unless it's extreme like at Spirit Bluff. I remember at Rochester one year the kids were black under the arms and we worried but they checked out fine at banding.

LOL...not really the expert (others much more qualified than I), but have learned what to look for ON CAM and when to worry...I'm sure most chicks have some parasites, black in the armpit is not necessarily a sign of infestation. I start to worry If: black moves to the neck area (like a collar, particularly noticeable from the back), down the spine, throat, and/or tummy...from any of those spots, black can encircle the shoulder at the top of the wing, then down the wing..in most cases what we see aren't bugs, but either dried blood (from the blood suckers) or skin sloughing off (like black dandruff) combined with feather loss..Other than visual signs, chicks can have problems standing or righting themselves if they flip over (usually because they've become anemic from blood suckers) They will even continue to eat, laying on their backs if they can..The infestation was so bad at the Black Dog nest several years ago, the chicks looked almost black. Only one chick survived and they named him Bugsy. Took us forever to convince them that something was wrong. They had a problem at the DuBois nest several years ago and got there as fast as they could, but still lost one chick..

That's about the extent of my knowledge...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:34 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
LOL...not really the expert (others much more qualified than I), but have learned what to look for ON CAM and when to worry...I'm sure most chicks have some parasites, black in the armpit is not necessarily a sign of infestation. I start to worry If: black moves to the neck area (like a collar, particularly noticeable from the back), down the spine, throat, and/or tummy...from any of those spots, black can encircle the shoulder at the top of the wing, then down the wing..in most cases what we see aren't bugs, but either dried blood (from the blood suckers) or skin sloughing off (like black dandruff) combined with feather loss..Other than visual signs, chicks can have problems standing or righting themselves if they flip over (usually because they've become anemic from blood suckers) They will even continue to eat, laying on their backs if they can..The infestation was so bad at the Black Dog nest several years ago, the chicks looked almost black. Only one chick survived and they named him Bugsy. Took us forever to convince them that something was wrong. They had a problem at the DuBois nest several years ago and got there as fast as they could, but still lost one chick..

That's about the extent of my knowledge...

:eggthumb: That is quite extensive...lol. I didn't know much of that. I always thought the black armpits was a problem...a sign of blood as you mentioned. I didn't realize that wasn't always the case. Thanks for the education! I learned something today.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

You're welcome...I learned so much that year with the Black Dog nest..but, it came in handy the following year with the Bay State Milling nest when the same thing happened to them..Thankfully, RRP responded almost immediately when we contacted them.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 579 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next