Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: EDMONTON, ALBERTA (U of A, BELL, MISERICORDIA ), 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:41 am 
Site Admin

U of A

Green is still there....

earlier..

Bell~I found nobody home...

Misericordia~a little while ago..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Green jump/flapping to the top of the box...where she currently is (as best I can tell)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:30 am 
Site Admin

I think Green may have just left the top of the box....not sure....and I just read on the Edmonton FB page that Silver is on her way to Pembina? I guess 3 rescues is the limit...

but....I can't help but feel angry/sad (once again) that 2 were taken from this nest...if the oldest was still here, Green would at least have a sibling to grow up with....sigh..

...just heard Green...on the net maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:45 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
I think Green may have just left the top of the box....not sure....and I just read on the Edmonton FB page that Silver is on her way to Pembina? I guess 3 rescues is the limit...

but....I can't help but feel angry/sad (once again) that 2 were taken from this nest...if the oldest was still here, Green would at least have a sibling to grow up with....sigh..

...just heard Green...on the net maybe?

I will not feel bad for Silver. She wants to fly and the city is not very forgiving. She will do well out there, if she comes down low she can naturally hop back up the tree as many have done in the past. Good bye cutie pie, fly high..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:26 pm 

july 23 U of A

green has been on the netting and flapping vigorously.

she is now on top of box again-12:23pm

the thing with silver is this. We could put her back up and she would fly right away again. that is how she is , and her chances this time of hitting Maz are very great. we found her on a car not far form glass area of Maz. ( she ran out of steam) She just goes, which is not good at this site. and if we did not have the hack site, she would have put back up.
She was just too heavy.

my fingers are crossed for green. and you all know that I try and keep our birds here,but I am not the boss. We were lucky that we were allowed to put her back twice. and it is sad that Green will have no siblings. But look at Green girl at Weber. She had no siblings that year either. A few years back we put a female back 3 times and she just could not make it at this site. but she thrived at Pembina and made it through 2 migrations.
Gord knows we are upset he took the males, but that is the way it is this year.

on a good note, there is a new male out at Pembina and it was born at Genesee. Genesee is not far form pembina, so.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, I do feel bad for Green, for any juvie that has no sibling to learn with...but, not for Silver...3rd time's the charm, that crazy girl...

Not sure why people thought I was disagreeing with the Silver decision!! She's clearly too spunky right now for the "city"...

That's great news about the male at Pembina!!

I'll just lurk from now on....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:18 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
Sorry, I do feel bad for Green, for any juvie that has no sibling to learn with...but, not for Silver...3rd time's the charm, that crazy girl...

Not sure why people thought I was disagreeing with the Silver decision!! She's clearly too spunky right now for the "city"...

That's great news about the male at Pembina!!

I'll just lurk from now on....

Sorry, it was not meant as it is a defense mode. Too many places have bad hack site, and we are very grateful that we have Gord and the Pembina site. The only good thing that comes out of this . Is that there was no male sibling to take her down, and she got to fly. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:38 am 

[b]u of ajuly23[/b]

I am devastated tonight. We lost green to the mazenkowski building tonight at 6pm.

We watched helplessly as she took her first flight and made one loop around the Maz and turned to go up and had not enough height. Her head struck the glass and she toppled down on top of the parkade. Toby and I , at first thought she had hit a bit to he left, and ran and thought we would just find her stunned at bottom.
I looked up and Peter looked defeated. He said, she's gone Bev. She lay lifeless on the walkway. We waited for security and they let Peter go and retrieve her. She was a gorgeous Bird. We watched her do everything right today. She was patient but the parents wanted her to fly.
So I cant argue any more about our birds going to hack sites. I never want to see our adults without young to train and hopefully go to migration,it is nice to see them fly with a sibling, but tonight, I feel sad for our adults and for us. WE put a lot of heart and soul into these young ones as do our adults.

I looked up and radisson was on corner of Maz and Chase was on the cam. I think they were waiting for Peter to come out the side door with their youngster ,as he has done several times before, and release her on the ledge.. But this was not to be this time.

This is not nature, this is not natural, this is the urban jungle and all Gord is trying to do, is get the males to imprint on cliff settings so they do not come back to areas like this.

Peter had a discussion about this with Gord this morning , and he knows his decision is not popular, but he stands behind it. Gord has always loved peregrines since he was a youngster, and so his decisions are for the good of the species as a whole.
hack sites may not work in other areas, but we are succeeding in getting more and more pairs on the cliffs. How does he know this . Because they go by helicopter and by boat to do a count. the next count is in 2020.

so as defeated and sad as we feel tonight, we will turn our watch to Weber and pray for success.

now I am tired, defeated and numb and tomorrow I will move on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:43 am 

No words but many tears....................... :sorrow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:35 am 
Site Admin

Just so, so sad to read this...I know that it must be more devastating to all of you (too many to name and for my brain to remember) who were there, watching over her, then having to witness her first and final flight. Feeling equally sad for R and C..

I know it will be hard, but happy that Fledge watch will now move to Weber in case those 2 need some help. I know that it can't replace all the heart and soul poured into U of A, but maybe it can give a brief reprieve to the sadness you are all feeling over the loss of Green..and maybe restore the excitement and joy associated with "fledge watch"...I know there are some who are new at this and that Green was their first loss, so hopefully Weber can refuel their enthusiasm.

Hugs and support to all of you. This is the difficult part of watching these birds!! :tissue:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:11 am 

Last night was a sad night for all that had to watch. First the joy of seeing one fledge and fly, Then the reality of the urban jungle. But, I can have peace with the knowledge that we have saved 3 from here. The baby that would have died in hours without Gord taking her. And are boy that will help populate the cliffs in the future. As you know we have sent many girls over the years out there. Then we the 3 time rescue of Silver. She just wanted to fly. Stay safe little ones.

My tears are for Chase and Radisson with no one to train.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:21 am 

U of A juy24

chase and radisson have both been at box this morning. Chase looked somewhat smaller this morning and Radisson gave out a sad mourning call. near broke me.

but I want to post something positive here, for food for thought.
radisson and Chase will never know, but we know that at least 3 of their chicks from this year, will fly high and free at the hack site.
the young one that Gord pulled at hatching is doing well and will be hacked with its older brother and silver in next few days.
We were not going to go out there this year, but we have so many out there , that we may go out, so we can justify in our minds again, why hacking is so great for our birds. It is truly wonderful to watch, and when you see one come back from migration, you rejoice.

I know with all that going on in our world this seems minuscule , but if nature does not survive, neither will we.

so in Greens memory and in the memory of all chicks we loose every year, everywhere, let us all go out there and protect our environment. if everyone here did just that, we could make a difference

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:22 am 

we were posting at same time west end. thank you

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:27 am 

misericordia july24

I have not forgotten thi s site. just have not had time to post

they are either 39 or 38 day sold today but we do not know who was born when.

you may have noticed that on e goes around the side out o f sight. it is safe there.

we cannot do a watch there, but the lady who examines our birds does not live far form there and is going to try an d keep an eye out

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:35 pm 

skygirlblue wrote:
Just so, so sad to read this...I know that it must be more devastating to all of you (too many to name and for my brain to remember) who were there, watching over her, then having to witness her first and final flight. Feeling equally sad for R and C..

I know it will be hard, but happy that Fledge watch will now move to Weber in case those 2 need some help. I know that it can't replace all the heart and soul poured into U of A, but maybe it can give a brief reprieve to the sadness you are all feeling over the loss of Green..and maybe restore the excitement and joy associated with "fledge watch"...I know there are some who are new at this and that Green was their first loss, so hopefully Weber can refuel their enthusiasm.

Hugs and support to all of you. This is the difficult part of watching these birds!! :tissue:

Well said Sky!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:34 pm 

So sad about Green! :cryinggirl: :sorrow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:57 pm 

Goodbye Green

:sorrow: :tissue:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:41 am 
Site Admin

Misericordia~as best as I can tell, they are now both out of the box and on the sides..of course, that could change any second.

Parent out of cam view

It got a little crazy after this. Parent never did come into the box or into view.

N/59?

U of A~the first few days must be really tough for them..or maybe tough for us...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:29 pm 

MisericordiaJuly 25

thanks SGB. sure looks like N59

gord is to get Rick to give me bands. when I do , I will post them

on ewa jsut on roof.

U of A july25
U of A. they have both been to box scraping. I think it will not be as hard for them this year. thye got to have 2 fledge. last year kids had to be taken at banding.
I felt better seeing them later yesterday.

hard for us, as we are used ot such a lively sight with lots of action, but I will still enjoy Radisson and Chase.

I have a few pciutres to post but will do it later , when i get home

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:35 pm 

Going to the Mis to watch the birds tonight

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next