Bird Cams Around the World

Peregrine Falcons, Eagles, Kestrels, Ospreys, Owls and Much, Much More!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Peregrine ID
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:58 am 

I saw this posted on a local blog today from a local photographer. I know this is not exactly the right place to post but wanted to see if the leg bands could be tracked and see where he/she came from.

"On my way to Wal-Mart yesterday evening I took a quick detour through Cane Ridge (this is in southern Indiana) and the surrounding areas to check on shorebird activity. While I didn't find any particularly exciting shorebirds, I did have a Peregrine Falcon fly into a nearby tree next to me. The falcon surveyed the shorebirds briefly and then flew off just above the tree line out of sight.

Band ID's:
Right leg: Black band "91" (if right-side up, 16 if upside-down) and Red band "U"
Left leg: Purple band "...808..."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Peregrine ID
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:09 am 
Global Moderator

Wow-Sara wonderful!

I will leave this here so our members can help you...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:30 pm 

What a great observation, Sara! I haven't been able to find a record of band number 91/U so far, but will check further. There is a peregrine with a black/red band 16/U, a female, born in 2011, from the nest at the State Correctional Facility/University Bridge, St. Cloud, Stearns County, Minnesota. However, the USFWS band number doesn't match; it is 1907-02916. so I don't think this is the right bird.

There are some black/red bands with 91 over a letter, mainly from Minnesota and Wisconsin; this could be a 2012 juvie, with the band numbers not on record yet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:21 pm 

I looked at a bunch of different ways of putting it but the 808 didn't match anything. I'll keep looking
EDITED: U is a very popular number this year specially with the females I have found dozens of hatches this year alone with u mainly from Ohio area, I'm still looking :sum11:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:43 am 

Thanks for trying to track the bands for me. Maybe he did not get the numbers correct.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:43 pm 

sara wrote:
Thanks for trying to track the bands for me. Maybe he did not get the numbers correct.

ImageI'm still looking but this thing called a job keeps getting in my way but I have 3 days off and I'll really start the look.
I just have this thing I hate to have something unresolved. i think its called OCD :teehee:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:35 pm 

sara wrote:
I saw this posted on a local blog today from a local photographer. I know this is not exactly the right place to post but wanted to see if the leg bands could be tracked and see where he/she came from.

"On my way to Wal-Mart yesterday evening I took a quick detour through Cane Ridge (this is in southern Indiana) and the surrounding areas to check on shorebird activity. While I didn't find any particularly exciting shorebirds, I did have a Peregrine Falcon fly into a nearby tree next to me. The falcon surveyed the shorebirds briefly and then flew off just above the tree line out of sight.

Band ID's:
Right leg: Black band "91" (if right-side up, 16 if upside-down) and Red band "U"
Left leg: Purple band "...808..."

Here is the identity of the peregrine with the black/red band 91/U:

She is was born in 2012 at Fifth Third Bank, 8000 Maryland Avenue, Clayton, Saint Louis County, Missouri. Her USFWS band number is 1907-12808. No information about her parents is available.

Do you know if any photos were taken of this bird?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:40 pm 

Allison yes he has a picture of the bird posted. I have sent you the address for his photos. You will have to look back to August 14 to find it. Be sure and look at his pictures. He does mostly birds but lots of other nature stuff and his family.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:36 pm 

sara wrote:
Allison yes he has a picture of the bird posted. I have sent you the address for his photos. You will have to look back to August 14 to find it. Be sure and look at his pictures. He does mostly birds but lots of other nature stuff and his family.

Thank you for the link, Sara! The juvie peregrine is beautiful, and so are the other photos; the owls, flowers, butterflies and bobcats!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]